You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OPI GelPolish Removal...
I just got my kit and have applied it a couple of times yesterday. I love the application and look of it!! My only worry so far is the removal....it says soak in wraps for 15mins, check, re-wrap and check every 5mins after!?!?

Has anyone removed it yet? Was it easy....hard...how long did it actually take? I'm wondering if the top coat can be filed like Gelish??

Thank you!! Big Grin Big Grin
I thought the whole reason OPI came out with a new gel product was so that it would soak off easy like Shellac. Axxium soaks off in 10 to 15 min.
Get Nailed at JB Salon & Day Spa
There's a trade off: the easier the removal process, the less durable the product. Shellac soaks off like a dream, but its durability is limited to the most careful of clients. Other SOGs may take a little longer to soak off, but they stand up to more abuse.

@GetNailed, SOG-in-a-bottle's main appeal is the ease of application. With a bit of clever planning, removing any SOG can be done within 15 minutes.

---

Of course I should qualify my comments with the fact that I have not used OPI's Gelcolor. I am interested in the brand for its color selection, not its top/base--which I do not expect to be anything revolutionary (see 1st sentence). IMHO, as with regular polish application, the keys to any SOG application are the base and top coats. What is in the middle contributes very little to its longevity.
I don't have experience with the new OPI gel color, but I have used several brands before settling on 3 so far. Polish pro literally removes like magic, shellac and Gelish for me are very similar and when I was using Eco it took a bit longer.
One thing we can do with all of them is buff the top coat off, or I file a hole in the center of the top coat, and warm the acetone via double bowl with hot water or, I use my rice filled neck wrap and put the hands wrapped in foil under that heat. It's relaxing and it making the process faster.
Manicuresthatlast or Eco from star nail they have a SOGP remover that has additives to minimize drying and to accelerate the soak off time.
cS :
> There's a trade off: the easier the removal process, the less durable the product.

I agree this used to be the case, but check into Luxio by Akzentz - its 100% gel and has no solvents (which is the polish part that you typically smell). The chemist worked for years on this balance to create a gel polish that lasted a full 3 weeks (though I've had people go as long as 6), and it still soaks off in 10 minutes and requires nothing more than a smooth manicure buffer before application. The company doesn't spend millions on advertising so its all word of mouth, but the product is unique and awesome. You can try it out cheap, $39.95 for $60 worth right now for their promo set of Base, color and Top gloss.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
Akzentz Distributor & Educator
http://www.luvnailz.com
cS :
> There's a trade off: the easier the removal process, the less durable the product.
> Shellac soaks off like a dream, but its durability is limited to the most
> careful of clients.

That hasn't been my experience with my clients. They do everything with Shellac on and it wears really well and protects their nails. Now that doesn't mean that someone can go out and hang up grape vines with twine for hours and it will hold up, but you can certainly get up on the roof and hang Christmas tree lights and not see one chip. There are an ocassional client who can't wear gel that will have an issue with it, but that probably has nothing to do with the product itself.
Thank you all for the replies! I picked the OPI Gel Polish mainly for the color choices and hopefully the wear of it! Some of my clients can't go the whole 2 weeks with shellac. I also use Gelish which last better for most which is great!

I'll try buffing the top layer first and see how that goes!

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes when I remove it! Smile

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nails-...9748904584
Don't forget that these SOGP are meant to last up to two weeks and unless you have new clients flooding in daily, then the regulars you did have coming in every two weeks will make you less money if they are now waiting 3-4. Well unless you mark up your gel polish add on 100%. It doesn't benefit us to have them coming in less often. My $20 mani went to $30 but that makes it 30 a month instead of 40 if you have them pushing their service times. I cannot afford to lose $1 for that hour so I still tell them 2 weeks. This will give them proper care.
GetNailed,
You must be doing something with that Axxium soak off that I did not! I never got Axxium to soak off in under 20 minutes, usually more like 30!

I am surprised that the OPI gel color is a 15+ minute soak. I had not heard that yet. That is leading me to think that either they relabled Axxium, possibly with some reformulation to make it useable in a polish bottle and maybe they are looking at discontinuing the Axxium line.

I have had several clients come in that had Shellac on for 2 or more weeks with little to no wear, and it does soak off nicely.

If you have clients that can not go 2 full weeks on Shellac you might want to consider a hard or soak-off gel as your base under your Shellac, or even 2 coats of base. Not every client is a great candidate for UV Gel Polish applications! It depends on the health of their nails as well as their day-to-day activities. If they are being transitioned from other types of enhancements they need to relearn how to use their hands and nails to avoid breakage and chipping. In that case I would base them with the hard or soak-off gel.
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
sobeit :
> Don't forget that these SOGP are meant to last up to two weeks and unless you
> have new clients flooding in daily, then the regulars you did have coming in
> every two weeks will make you less money if they are now waiting 3-4. Well
> unless you mark up your gel polish add on 100%. It doesn't benefit us to have
> them coming in less often. My $20 mani went to $30 but that makes it 30 a month
> instead of 40 if you have them pushing their service times. I cannot afford
> to lose $1 for that hour so I still tell them 2 weeks. This will give them
> proper care.

It does benefit you having them come in more often. If you lose one client a month due to them moving or them switching or taking their nails off, you must fill in 2 hours a month with walk ins or hope to get another good client. Your clients are also budgeting their nails, and if their budget is $50 a month, they can go twice a month at $25 or once a month at $50. I'd much rather be the nail tech making $50 for an hour rather than $25 for an hour. Its about how you market your nails and what your clients see as quality, if they believe their nails look great at 3-4 weeks and they are busy and thrilled to not have to come in more than once a month they will likely be willing to pay more since their time is valuable also.

Just wanted to give you a different viewpoint. My clients value not having to come in more than once a month, and I value making more per service (or hour) Smile
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
While I can appreciate the desire to make $50 an hour. In my location, in this economy, no one is going to pay $50 for any kind of manicure in one visit. That would mean I have to make the SOGP add on a 100% mark up, that lasts one week longer. I live and work in a place where I have regulars and not a bunch of new clients kicking down the doors to fill in that entire week or more that opened up now that my regulars think they should come less often. I Guess it's just me but my clients pay $30 for SOGP manis every two weeks and not a penny more if they wait. So it's still $30 for the 45 min no matter how I look at it. And if they come less, it's less $ I make per week, month and year.
...Or its simply a few more clients you can fill your books with... if you can't fill your books, then yes it would be less money.
Jessica Hoel
Nail Professional
I know this has gone off topic talking about how long the sogp clients are going. Financially it does not make sense to me. We work a 52 week year, take time away for vacation or sick time and no matter what, clients coming in every 2 or 3 weeks if the books are full the work time is the same the money is the same. So pushing clients to 3 weeks means you have to find more people to fill the slots just to make the same income. I don't know if that made sense. I am done now, I took this topic away from soak off time. I am staying with the recommended nail care of manicures and enhancements at 2 week appointments. And hopefully the soak off times keep us on schedule.
I've had the OPI kit for almost 2 weeks and haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box. I'm hoping to try it on myself Friday. I'll do one hand with OPI top and base and the other with Gelish top and base (my favorite!) and see how each compares in removal. Results will be posted....God willing!
I too havent had the chance to do a removal..but now youve got me curious. I certainly hope that it doesnt take that long. I love, LOVE shellac and the quick removal process. Allthough, I normally use the wrap method, if the OPI seems to be stubborn, I will use the double bowl method w/ the hot water. (I wish they made the Quicksoak bowls still...)

But...I wanted to ask again...Is anyone having the issue w/ the Topcoat like I am??
EVERY SINGLE time Ive used it, the brush freezes up and thick stuff is all over it. Ive allready went through the original brush, and now the replacement is getting all jacked up.
I dont get it. Im calling OPI tomorrow...but I know their are pretty important ppl that frequent here from the company...or work closely with the company,......etc..etc....sooooooo
Whats the DEAL? I understand that its new and mistakes are expected..but Im actually surprised that no one has tried to contact me or comment about the issue.
Please someone....help !!! thanks. Smile
" Take time.....to be kind".....
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
OK...Follow-up....

I haven't removed it but the other nail tech in the shop has and it removes a lot like Gelish! She did file the top layer and left the wraps on for about 8 or so mins. ....Good to know! Big Grin

anointdhndz, That totally sucks you're having that problem with the top coat! I posted on the other thread also, but wanted to add, that I think if it was your lamp or the lighting it would happen with the base and color coat as well. I don't know though! :?

I love everything about it so far....application, cure time, look, colors!! I can't wait to get all of them!
Where is everyone getting the New OPI gels. My local supply place isnt carrying it til Janurary, I want to order it for the Holidays.
Thanks for the info.
Denise
Creative Nail Design Master Technician
Cosmetology Teacher
Esthetician
Our Rep got ours. I guess they technically arent hitting 'the public'....meaning the supply stores--until January.

If we ordered the entire Intro kit..w/ the light and all the colors...we got it early. Sooo thats how we did it.

I am honestly finding tho.... a few dislikes..and Im just putting my opinion out here.
#1...you all know the situation w/ the topcoat. I changed the brush again today....the 2nd one was runined beyond measure. So #3 brush is in the bottle. (that is making me MAD)

#2....Ive done a couple dark colors....Lincoln park, Bastille my heart,...and they really 'pool' at the cuticle area. It thins out too much, so Ive had to go back and apply a 3rd coat to that area only. It doesnt want to stay on the free edge at all....and that is frustrating..

#3.....I removed my first set today. I soaked her in cotton/foil for 10 mins...took it off and only the back part (by the cuticle) was softened.
Then I got my bowl w/ hot water and soaked her another 10 mins....still...end of nails wouldnt budge. So, I took my file and lo and behold--- it was soft under there!! So I bascially just filed it off.

Soooo I dont know. I know we have to get used to new products and im giving it a chance. But........I have to say..even tho its faster..and my one client today swears she had better wear w/ the OPI.... I still favor Shellac.

The "polish" itself is very runny. Which is why the above complaints are listed. Shellac is a bit thicker, and stays where you put it for the most part. It doesnt shrink back from the free edge like this does...

So that is my take on the OPI system so far.
My advice to all that havent bought it yet...would be to wait until it hits the stores and just get one color w/ the top & base coat and try it.
I would NOT invest in the entire kit until you see how it works.
Get one of the dark colors too.... anything w/ the purple/burgandy would be a good one to try.

But again..this is just my opinion... no harm..no foul.. Just me.

Because of the issue w/ the topcoat...and the 2 colors..it may be that I have just received a bad batch... which honestly..I hope is the case...because that means that its really not that bad. But I did call in today..and didnt get a live person...so that is ONE email and ONE phone call... If I dont hear anything next week...Im gonna go OFF !!!!!

Ok..Im done...SmileSmile
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
*Follow-up on removal....

I have had a few clients return with the Gelcolor.....The first time I removed it I filed off the top layer....just like I do with the Gelish.... and it removed very easy (easier than Gelish removal). I let it sit about 5-7 mins from when I finished wrapping.

The second time it was my last client so I wrapped the nails without filing the top layer and it took a bit longer. I let it sit the same amount and ended up having to re-wrap the nails for a bit.

So far I really like the product. Easy to apply, wears nicely and is really shiny! One of my clients that chips after about a week with Shellac went the whole 2 weeks with no chipping at all!! Big Grin
Darcy is that how gelish is removed? See I didn't do that cuz I was expecting it to melt like shellac. Maybe that is why a lot ofnthe girls just go ahead and file evrytg off.
Did u find it runny? Or being thin back by the cuticle??
Just wonderimg....thanks.for the input
Angel
~Tracy~

Full Time single mom,
Medical Receptionist &
Part Time Nail Artist
Akron, OH
Please consider that soak off time is varied, especially if you mix lines. Shellac may soak off like a dream, but that assumes ALL 3 layers (base, color, top) are from the same line. Try mixing Shellac color with Gelish base/top and see if it's still a dream.

Even if OPI is difficult to soak off, its strength lies in its vast and popular library of colors. And with the relatively high prices of gel polishes, I cannot fully stock several lines. As far as I am concerned, it is not about soak off time; but the color selection. Soak off time can be easily manipulated.
cS, Wow, great info! This is something I never considered and you are absolutely correct. I know many of us are using 1 base, another color and a top from either the base's line, the color line or even a third brand! All this mixing of brands of course is not condoned by the manufacturers, but it is done and removal time when brand lines have been crossed must be considered!
Lorraine, webgirl
http://www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco Soak Off UV Gel Polish No Solvents, Double the Size - Same Price!
Cinapro Nail Creations - New Art Kits!
http://www.ScentualSpaProducts.com
Cuccio Natural - Enhance the Spa Experience
Free Shipping on all orders over $75
I mix most of the time. I use gelish foundation with all my sogp or polish pro base, with whatever line of color I like. I find that my soak off time is not varied by much at all. Polish pro comes off like a dream, and Gelish for me comes off just a few minutes longer. I dont mean like 20-30 I mean 10-15 min max from wrap to cleaned compeletly. I havent used the OPI.
But it looks like in this thread the Original question was about OPI as a whole system soak off and, not about a mix of products not wanting to soak off.
(11-19-2011, 02:58 AM)anointdhndz Wrote: Our Rep got ours. I guess they technically arent hitting 'the public'....meaning the supply stores--until January.

If we ordered the entire Intro kit..w/ the light and all the colors...we got it early. Sooo thats how we did it.

I am honestly finding tho.... a few dislikes..and Im just putting my opinion out here.
#1...you all know the situation w/ the topcoat. I changed the brush again today....the 2nd one was runined beyond measure. So #3 brush is in the bottle. (that is making me MAD)

#2....Ive done a couple dark colors....Lincoln park, Bastille my heart,...and they really 'pool' at the cuticle area. It thins out too much, so Ive had to go back and apply a 3rd coat to that area only. It doesnt want to stay on the free edge at all....and that is frustrating..

#3.....I removed my first set today. I soaked her in cotton/foil for 10 mins...took it off and only the back part (by the cuticle) was softened.
Then I got my bowl w/ hot water and soaked her another 10 mins....still...end of nails wouldnt budge. So, I took my file and lo and behold--- it was soft under there!! So I bascially just filed it off.

Soooo I dont know. I know we have to get used to new products and im giving it a chance. But........I have to say..even tho its faster..and my one client today swears she had better wear w/ the OPI.... I still favor Shellac.

The "polish" itself is very runny. Which is why the above complaints are listed. Shellac is a bit thicker, and stays where you put it for the most part. It doesnt shrink back from the free edge like this does...

So that is my take on the OPI system so far.
My advice to all that havent bought it yet...would be to wait until it hits the stores and just get one color w/ the top & base coat and try it.
I would NOT invest in the entire kit until you see how it works.
Get one of the dark colors too.... anything w/ the purple/burgandy would be a good one to try.

But again..this is just my opinion... no harm..no foul.. Just me.

Because of the issue w/ the topcoat...and the 2 colors..it may be that I have just received a bad batch... which honestly..I hope is the case...because that means that its really not that bad. But I did call in today..and didnt get a live person...so that is ONE email and ONE phone call... If I dont hear anything next week...Im gonna go OFF !!!!!

Ok..Im done...SmileSmile

I am having a hard time with the Opi gel as well. The colors are great but they don't go on as nicely as Shellac. I agree with *anointdhndz*that the colors pool and they DO NOT adhere to free edge or even side walls the way Shellac does and I am very meticulous about my base coat and I cover the entire surface and always cap the ends. I am having to having to apply a third coat which is aggravating and more time consuming. My curing time is correct and my application has never been an issue since I have been doing Shellac for well over a year now with nothing but success. I did my nails yesterday with Pompeii purple and again, had to do a third coat and still barely have color on the tips. I haven't had any issues with the top coat and its consistency but the bottle won't stay securely closed! Its strange but the top unscrews its self. Drives me crazy! I'm looking forward to hearing more user feedback on OPI gel polish.
I only picked up Lincoln Park After Dark to test out. I didn't find that I had any pooling or free edge shrinkage. One coat was plenty pigmented and not streaky. I applied two coats. I hope this pic shows up here. http://instagr.am/p/mSWJl/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,930
06-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Last Post*****Cindy
Replies: 2
Views: 2,067
09-14-2013, 11:52 PM