BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Lifting problems and how to build clientele
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been doing nails since march of 2011 and started working in a shop the same day I graduated. I have had lifting problems in the cuticle area and I feel like I have tried everything. I clean the cuticle area after pushing back cuticles and use alchol to clean dust with my opi fluffy and i also make sure to rough up the cuticle area good. I have no idea what is going on. Does any one have any input. Also could you nail techs help me out on how to get clientele. i printed brochures and biz cards and am trying word of mouth what else is there?
What products are you using?

here are some great ideas for business buildng
http://www.gelessentialz.citymax.com/Bus...lding.html
It's not always about great prep tho that IS the root to a lot evils in the nail biz. It could be how you're putting the product on the nail, if you're using acrylic it could be something like ratio being a bit off.

Roughing the cuticle area really good isn't what helps the product stick...a slight buffing with a 180 grit file or higher will do the trick. It's making sure all the skin is off the nail. If you've got access to a mag glass, do your prep then check the nails under it. It might surprise you at what you missed....I know it did me!

Are you swiping or painting the product on or pushing/pressing into place? I found out that part of my problem a long time ago was that I would press the acrylic properly to the left side of the nail but I was swiping it into place on the right side.....lifting always occured on the right side. :oops:
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> It's not always about great prep tho that IS the root to a lot evils in the
> nail biz. It could be how you're putting the product on the nail, if you're
> using acrylic it could be something like ratio being a bit off.
>
> Roughing the cuticle area really good isn't what helps the product stick...
> a slight buffing with a 180 grit file or higher will do the trick. It's making
> sure all the skin is off the nail. If you've got access to a mag glass, do
> your prep then check the nails under it. It might surprise you at what you
> missed....I know it did me!
>
> Are you swiping or painting the product on or pushing/pressing into place?
> I found out that part of my problem a long time ago was that I would press
> the acrylic properly to the left side of the nail but I was swiping it into
> place on the right side.....lifting always occured on the right side. :oops:


**

Thanks for the tip. I do see lifting occasionally when I do gels. I do buff with an 180 or higher but I think I'm going to get the mag glass like you suggest...I might be missing areas. Smile
My nails changed the day I started using Linkage! Even my chronic lifters don't lift anymore! I LOVE that product and I'm never without it!

http://tuffenuffnails.com/

The time I've saved on lifting repairs has more than paid for the product.
how can i order the linkage ?im located in greece and would love to try it!is there any distributor in europe?
Contact Brenda at the e-mail on her website. I'm not sure about a distributor but I know she'll do what she can to help you out!
tsita78, click the link below and it'll take you to the web site.

If you choose to order, let me give you a few tips about it....it's going to come with a brush in it and I personally don't have much luck with it. IMO, the brush can trap air and debris in it and take it back into the bottle. You'll need to clean the brush after each use before inserting it back in the bottle. I cut it off and use a medical grade swab. Don't use personal use swab like a Qtip. The cotton on the end isn't as tightly wound and it will absorb too much Linkage, wasting it. Used like this, your Linkage will last longer.

Also, make sure you don't get any on the threads of the bottle. If you did, it'll require a pair of pliers to remove the lid. IF you have to resort to that, grip the cap with the pliers just above the shoulders of the bottle and twist slowly. You don't want to break the cap! To keep the cap from sticking, oil the threads so it can't adhere. I also save a cap just in case I do break one! :wink:

If Linkage gets thick, it's useless. It's been activated and it's not doing it's job. Be sure the cap is put back on after every use...it will evaporate quickly. If you like it and want to get more, be sure and reorder when the bottle is half full. Don't want to run out!
thank you ladies for your help! its been a long time since i heard about linkage and it seems like its the magical product for lifting problems!another question: have you noticed if it works better with specific lines or does it work with all gels?
also how can you tell if a gel line is better that other? the reason im asking is because when i first try a new line i feel its better that the one im using but after the second or the third application i see lifting or breaking and either its the gel line thats not so good or me that i did mistakes cause i dont know the tips for the specific product..im a bit confused..any help?
kwinkler87 :
> I have been doing nails since march of 2011 and started working in a shop the
> same day I graduated. I have had lifting problems in the cuticle area and I
> feel like I have tried everything. I clean the cuticle area after pushing back
> cuticles and use alchol to clean dust with my opi fluffy and i also make sure
> to rough up the cuticle area good. I have no idea what is going on. Does any
> one have any input. Also could you nail techs help me out on how to get clientele.
> i printed brochures and biz cards and am trying word of mouth what else is
> there?

You can download a FREE e-book at: http://www.nsinails.com/nail-labs/e-book.html You just have to register on the site to get it. It's called Building Your Clientele in 6-9 Months.
just like all acrylic lines are a bit different, gels can differ also. IMO, there's no BEST gel line. With proper technique, all of them will give great results. The thing is to find the one that best suits your working style. If you're just learning gels, you might need to go with a gel that's slower to self level. That gives you time to work with it. Once you get more confident then you can move on the faster leveling gels, (only if you want to Big Grin ). Don't make the mistake of jumping from line to line on gels. You'll need to give it about 2-3 months to make sure you've tried all you can do to make it work.

Here's my opinion, tho, most product break down isn't the product, it's usually the tech, except when the bulbs are old and then, really that STILL goes back to the tech! If the product is lifting, breaking, cracking, peeling, etc....those are all tech issues. It's a matter of trouble shooting the issue til you find out what the solution is.
Gina Silvestro :
> What products are you using?
>
> here are some great ideas for business buildng
> http://www.gelessentialz.citymax.com/Bus...lding.html

I am using a lot of products trying to find what's best. What's even worse is I only know the name of one. I am sometimes using no lift nails monomer and primer. The acrylic I don't know I got it from Tulsa Nail Supply and it's their own mix. And I will check that site out now. Smile
Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> It's not always about great prep tho that IS the root to a lot evils in the
> nail biz. It could be how you're putting the product on the nail, if you're
> using acrylic it could be something like ratio being a bit off.
>
> Roughing the cuticle area really good isn't what helps the product stick...
> a slight buffing with a 180 grit file or higher will do the trick. It's making
> sure all the skin is off the nail. If you've got access to a mag glass, do
> your prep then check the nails under it. It might surprise you at what you
> missed....I know it did me!
>
> Are you swiping or painting the product on or pushing/pressing into place?
> I found out that part of my problem a long time ago was that I would press
> the acrylic properly to the left side of the nail but I was swiping it into
> place on the right side.....lifting always occured on the right side. :oops:



hmmm... didnt think bout that. i do swipe. i do wat u were doing. I worry about to much primer too.
i dont use a bunch a gel i use gelish or shellac. Its my acrylics Im having trouble with lifting.Smile Thank all of you fir helping me I love this site.
kwinkler87 :

> I am using a lot of products trying to find what's best. What's even worse
> is I only know the name of one. I am sometimes using no lift nails monomer
> and primer. The acrylic I don't know I got it from Tulsa Nail Supply and it's
> their own mix. And I will check that site out now. Smile

owwww... jumping from brand to brand is not always a good idea! Each brand has it's own little peculiarities. A little more monomer (wetter) on this one, a little dried (more powder) on that one. Some are a little more forgiving than others. Some do better, especially for beginners, with a slow set speed (as opposed to a faster set). Some do well with a small or average size brush, some are formulated to work with those paint brush sizes!

You need to work with one brand and stick with it until you get it right. After some time if you just cant deal with it, try another. You should give the brand at least 2-4 months before moving on to the next one. At some point you will find one that works WITH you rather than against you.

You also should be cautious with "store mixes". Often they contain some level of MMA - not a good thing. If you are not familiar, you can click the links on the left side here under the Resources section. It is definitely a subject every professional should be well versed in! Ask the store for the MSDS sheet and READ it carefully.
as a young nail tech starting out its hard to figure it out on your own. i suggest tammy taylor nails. she has sooo much education on her site and she has a great educational library on dvd. there is lots off stuff on her site http://www.tammytaylornails.com that you could learn from. also her acrylic is great.. i do everything tammy taylor!