BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: help with a topic!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i know i have read before in the forum about mixing clear gel with nail polish.im searching for it but with no luck.can somebody help me please? thank you! Smile
none of you remember it? Sad

From what I remember some said they did it. It isn't recommended by the manufacturer's, of course, but I believe you just put some drops of polish with the gel on a tile or in a small jar/bottle and mix. Would need to keep the ratio where the polish is less than the gel I would think. Maybe a drop or two and see if that is the color you want. HTH
i wanted to read again about the chemisrty that's involved in this kind of method.someone explained it very well of why we shouldn't use it like that and i wanted to refresh my memory.i have tried it and worked really well but i want to be sure that it is ok to do it.
I think it was something from YN.
how can i search about that?
I know I saw demonstrated at The Nail Tech EVent of the Smokies in Gatlinburg, TN an educator at the Young Nails table use of Mani Q (their soak off gel polish) mixed with their Synergy Gel. But no polish was used at all. I would think the solvents in polish would evaporate too quickly and dry before it could be mixed thoroughly with the gel.

The educator was Teresa Carter.
zoya polishes say that can be mixed with gels and they work fine..actually they promote it on many sites.how does this will work?

tsita78 :
> i wanted to read again about the chemisrty that's involved in this kind of
> method.someone explained it very well of why we shouldn't use it like that
> and i wanted to refresh my memory.i have tried it and worked really well but
> i want to be sure that it is ok to do it.

Sorry my answer wasn't what you were looking for. Maybe that is something Doug Schoon can answer since he is a chemist.
i hope he will read it and reply or someone else that has the knowledge to explain it to me.thank you though for your help Smile

If you have a FB account you can find his page and either post a question on his wall or send a private message. Happy to help in whatever way.
Honey...my advice is to TRY IT....go for it....!!! What do u have to lose??
I mean..dont be afraid of what it might or might not do...try it on yourself or a good friend and see if you get the results that you were after.
If you do...GREAT...if not--- no harm, no foul.

Its not like you are mixing harmful chemicals together to make something..you want to mix polish and gel.....both items allready are
applied to the nails....sooooooooooo Go For It girl !!!!

I do remember before I left the biz a couple of years ago...(it was when Gina was on here alot).. that all the girls were talking about doing that. It was probably about the time that CND was in the beginning stages of Shellac...cuz everyone was wanting a polish that adheared like a gel..and ppl were over using traditional gel polish that you have to file off.
(i know that I was)...
So, anyhoo....dont ever be afraid if 'its allowed' or not .....do your thing, and be happy if it works out!!!

SmileSmile
My advice is, "don't" try. Anything can be harmful if used improperly. Thousands of people die from water every year, so all chemicals, including water, UV gels, and topcoats must be used properly.

If you mix two products together that were not designed to be mixed together, you're ignoring manufacturers instructions and using both products inappropriately. What could happen? The very fact that you are not sure should warn you away from trying such a thing. If something unexpected happens, it will likely be considered negligence, since you ignored manufacturer's instructions.

Products are carefully formulated and balanced to perform best when used correctly and properly. Besides service breakdown and nail plate damage, there is a chance that you or your client could develop adverse skin reactions when these products are used improperly. My advice, stick to the instructions and use products as directed.

tsita78 :

Doug, can you answer her question about the chemistry behind this? TY
I'm not sure what you mean by "the chemistry behind this".
Doug

Mixing polish with gel. Chemically why we shouldn't do this I think is what she was asking.

sobeit

I have replied on this topic a few times. I think if we look at it logically then we should know that nail polish cures via evaporation, unlike gel which cured via the uv lamp. I am not using technical words or process here. So when you mix nail polish into your gel and cure it, how will the polish dry like its supposed to? It can't, and it can leech into the nail plate or surrounding tissue over time. Repeatedly doing this can cause issues.
There isn't any better explaination as to why, then what Doug has given. Let's just think about how each product or chemical works. It tells us mixing them is a bad idea. It not good to use gel polish base, nail polish color, and gel polish top coat for the same reasons. The nail polish needs to cure. And if it's trapped then how can it. And how can the gel cure properly with nail polish in the way of the uv rays?
I am not sure if this was the answer you were looking for, but it is what I have said a few times.
I found this and according to YN, it is ok to mix polish with their mani-q, below is the link to the instructions on their facebook page, just found it very interesting. No intent to disagree with anybody, I apreciate all the info.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id...7051790039

sobeit

The problem for me is, just because they give instructions doesn't mean it's a safe practice. I personally think based on common sense that it should not be done. That saying just because we can doesnt mean we should comes to mind.

tsita78 :

Sorry I couldn't get the answer you were looking for......I tried!!
Well I certainly do appreciate Doug commenting...I respect his business and what he does very much.
But...I still say no harm no foul....cuz I know that all these techs about 3 years ago were doing this very thing....I remember...
but, whatever..
They also tell us not to mix lines...if you look at the reasoning behind that-- its alot like the same concept. That 'chemically'...the mixing of the systems wont work.
But...we all know that we can and that we do...mix products all the time...and we still get good results.

I mean come on now..... what is the big deal about doing it? If she just wants to play around... i mean..honey. This is the U. S of A. and you can do anything you want!!! Have fun I say... Smile
tsita78 :
> i know i have read before in the forum about mixing clear gel with nail polish.
> im searching for it but with no luck.can somebody help me please? thank you!
> Smile

I think the problem here is communication! Smile

On the Young Nails site and FB page they provide instructions on how to mix Mani Q Clear Gel with Mani Q Polish NOT regular polish.

Could that be the info you need? If so, all you need to do is goto http://www.youngnails.com and login or register if you havent already and goto Get Educated. It is listed in the Step By Step section. Smile

sobeit

I just don't see any comparison to mixing one line of monomer with another line of polymer and mixing nail polish into a uv cured gel. They aren't in the same family of chemicals at all. Monomer Needs polymer. Gel does not need nail polish and they actually intefier with each other. How can that be the same? It's not something I would risk. I guess it's just me but I would rather buy a premade gel polish than cheap out and guess how to make my own. It's how I feel.
No i totally get it...but im just saying if she wants to mess around... let her!
Thats the only way I found out that I could use regular polish w/ shellac top/base coat...
Are we 'supposed' to do that? Of course not..but Im always
experimenting... :wink:

And believe me when i say...before alot of you guys started on here..the girls were doing it and raving about it..Im telling ya..thats prob how the gel polish came about in the first place..cuz everybody on here was experimenting with mixing polish into their gels.....

But no biggie...Ok..heading to bed now....

sobeit :
> and it can leech into the nail plate or surrounding
> tissue over time. Repeatedly doing this can cause issues.
>

Asking where you got this information from? Curious to know!
Pages: 1 2