BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Removal times for different soak-off gel polishes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who has tried the other ones? With all the new brands coming out now it's hard to keep up! So far of the 2 ive tried, Shellac is faster with soak off in 10 minz or less. Have any of you tried any of the new ones that are along the lines of the 10 minute soak off? I cant keep up with all the brands!
I've used Gelish and Young Nails as well as Shellac. I think that Gelish comes off pretty easy and sometimes YN comes off easy and sometimes it doesn't. Shellac will always be the easiest to remove, but I think that Gelish and YN's both have more durability.

sobeit

Polish Pro by NSI is by far superior in soak off. It really releases from the nail and at about the 5 min mark, the cuticle section has fallen of, at 7 min I can wipe the wrap off and lightly scrape/slide/push the rest off. Where as Shellac seems to get melty like and not actually release from the nail.
I use Shellac and love it...just wish they had more colors. Yes, I do SOME of the layering, but a lot end up streaky. Anyhow....I asked this in another thread, but it got overlooked because of the other....discussion..that was going on. Wink I am wondering how you Gelish lovers are able to remove it easily? I mentioned before, I had a client that did get Gelish while in another state-and yes I am sure it was all Gelish, it was a friend of hers that has been trying to get her to switch for quite awhile now...anyway, she came in and it took 30 minutes to remove. I filed/buffed the top coat first, then used the wraps, waited 15 minutes, it wouldn't budge. Wrapped them with acetone again, kept checking....it crumbled finally but some had to be filed off. Took forever...what are you guys doing that say it removes so easily? I love the color variety but don't want to purchase any if it is going to add that much time to my service. TIA

I use CND's Shellac and it takes anywhere from 5-10 mins. The darker colors do take a little longer. And even if you want to file it off, that is easy too. The Gelish ones I've used have taken longer. Haven't tried removing NSI's Polish Pro yet, because I'm waiting on a sample of the new formula.
aimzolio :
> I use Shellac and love it...just wish they had more colors. Yes, I do SOME
> of the layering, but a lot end up streaky. Anyhow....I asked this in another
> thread, but it got overlooked because of the other....discussion..that was
> going on. Wink I am wondering how you Gelish lovers are able to remove it easily?
> I mentioned before, I had a client that did get Gelish while in another state-
> and yes I am sure it was all Gelish, it was a friend of hers that has been
> trying to get her to switch for quite awhile now...anyway, she came in and
> it took 30 minutes to remove. I filed/buffed the top coat first, then used
> the wraps, waited 15 minutes, it wouldn't budge. Wrapped them with acetone
> again, kept checking....it crumbled finally but some had to be filed off. Took
> forever...what are you guys doing that say it removes so easily? I love the
> color variety but don't want to purchase any if it is going to add that much
> time to my service. TIA
You know--this has happened to me several times with clients who either went on vacation and got their nails done, or just a new client wanting to get their SOG re-done. Anyway---on the clients who told me they had gelish on, one of them took 30 minz, another lady took 10 minz! Both said they had on gelish. I dont get it either. I swear on the soak off that took 30 minz, i think she had a layer of hard gel on top. Thats what it reminded me of. The client who took 10 minz was easy. I did do the "seal breaking" swipe on both. The gelish just crumbled on her and slid right off. So im with you on the gelish thing. Either that or the clients have no idea whats on their nails and they are just saying what they were told when they asked. This has happened to so many of my co-workers that we now charge additional $ for SOG removal unless they got it done at our place since some of the soak offs take up to 30-40minz. Confusedhock:
Maybe someone who uses Gelish all the time can chime in here.
I may have to give Polish Pro a whirl if the removal time is that fast! I always thought NSI did beautiful acrylics though i never used it. (i was an exclusive Tammy Taylor user Big Grin ) How do i get my hands on a sample?
idonls :
> I use CND's Shellac and it takes anywhere from 5-10 mins. The darker colors
> do take a little longer. And even if you want to file it off, that is easy
> too. The Gelish ones I've used have taken longer. Haven't tried removing
> NSI's Polish Pro yet, because I'm waiting on a sample of the new formula.

how did you get the sample? Please share!

NailsToYouFL - Call NSI and ask for samples. Be sure and ask for the new formula though. I called and got samples and they sent me the old formula for the color. It was horrible. Got thick while I was applying it to the nail. I did call them and asked about that. They said they would send me the new formula, so I am waiting patiently to receiving the new formula and see how it works.

http://www.nsinails.com
I use both Shellac and Gelish (and some others). Shellac is by far the fastest and easiest to soak off.

One of my regular Gelish clients comes every 2 weeks - she has been coming faithfully for one year now. Here are a few of my observations....

If I get talking too much (LOL :roll: ) and forget to tell her to remove her hand after 1 minute curing the base coat, I know for a fact that when she comes in 2 weeks later it's going to take a lot longer to soak it off. It's my fault for not paying attention. I am using a UV light in this case, with a 2 minute timer. So that's something to watch for.

Secondly we sometimes add loose glitter on top of her Gelish colour and I find without exception the glitter is difficult to get off, it's almost like it seals the product onto the nail. So then it's longer to soak off.

I always scratch the top coat with a file before I soak and wrap the nails.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case this applies to some of you.
idonls :
> NailsToYouFL - Call NSI and ask for samples. Be sure and ask for the new formula
> though. I called and got samples and they sent me the old formula for the
> color. It was horrible. Got thick while I was applying it to the nail. I
> did call them and asked about that. They said they would send me the new formula,
> so I am waiting patiently to receiving the new formula and see how it works.
>
>
> http://www.nsinails.com

Thanks! Why would they send you the old formula to begin with? They should toss it in the trash along with Shellac's Fedora! (i just got an old bottle of that--lol--had a horrific 2 hour experience!)
scratchmyback :
> I use both Shellac and Gelish (and some others). Shellac is by far the fastest
> and easiest to soak off.
>
> One of my regular Gelish clients comes every 2 weeks - she has been coming
> faithfully for one year now. Here are a few of my observations....
>
> If I get talking too much (LOL :roll: ) and forget to tell her to remove her
> hand after 1 minute curing the base coat, I know for a fact that when she comes
> in 2 weeks later it's going to take a lot longer to soak it off. It's my fault
> for not paying attention. I am using a UV light in this case, with a 2 minute
> timer. So that's something to watch for.
>
> Secondly we sometimes add loose glitter on top of her Gelish colour and I find
> without exception the glitter is difficult to get off, it's almost like it
> seals the product onto the nail. So then it's longer to soak off.
>
> I always scratch the top coat with a file before I soak and wrap the nails.
>
>
> Just thought I'd throw this out there in case this applies to some of you.

Thanks for bringing this up! I have heard this can also be the case with Shellac. I am always good about removing though but it's easier for me cuz i have the 10 second timer for Shellac base coat. I didnt know Gelish had a 1min cure time for base coat. Ive been doing the 10 sec. cure. Oops. Look who's not following instructions. "doh". Im an idiot. Note to self--read instructions.
scratchmyback :
> I use both Shellac and Gelish (and some others). Shellac is by far the fastest
> and easiest to soak off.
>
> One of my regular Gelish clients comes every 2 weeks - she has been coming
> faithfully for one year now. Here are a few of my observations....
>
> If I get talking too much (LOL :roll: ) and forget to tell her to remove her
> hand after 1 minute curing the base coat, I know for a fact that when she comes
> in 2 weeks later it's going to take a lot longer to soak it off. It's my fault
> for not paying attention. I am using a UV light in this case, with a 2 minute
> timer. So that's something to watch for.
>
> Secondly we sometimes add loose glitter on top of her Gelish colour and I find
> without exception the glitter is difficult to get off, it's almost like it
> seals the product onto the nail. So then it's longer to soak off.
>
> I always scratch the top coat with a file before I soak and wrap the nails.
>
>
> Just thought I'd throw this out there in case this applies to some of you.

Oh and scratchmyback---im a talker too! Ive actually had a couple of complaints in one of the spas that i work in that i talk too much. Oops. Smile
NailsToYouFL :

> Oh and scratchmyback---im a talker too! Ive actually had a couple of complaints
> in one of the spas that i work in that i talk too much. Oops. Smile

Sigh....it's a curse or a blessing, isn't it. I work alone so the 'owner' doesn't complain Wink And yes, the Gelish is a 1-minute cure for the base !!
I use NSI Polish Pro and LOVE how it removes.
It's 10 minutes max of soak time and it just comes away from the nail with ease.
After PP has been removed the natural nail is in perfect condition every time, I just love it!!!

NailsToYouFl, I wondered the same thing about why they would send the old formula to a prospective customer. You had problems with Fedora? Guess I was lucky. Went on smooth and was a beautiful color. Had a lot of clients wear it that I would never would have guessed would.

sobeit

I have not had any experience with my gelish taking over 15 min. I check them @10 and if the top coat is still squeeky feeling, I file a bit more of it off, 5 min later I can remove the color and base.
For those who have never used Polish Pro here is a pic of what soak off looks like. I did a soak off review a while back and this is just a re-showing of that. It is nothing like Shellac. Its hard to explain so maybe the pics will show you.

This is 7 min into my soak without breaking the seal. This is also the original formula of color.

[Image: Nonfiledsoak7min.jpg]

I've noticed that too Laura about the glitter taking longer. Also is harder to get off regular glitter polish too. Sometimes clients will want to wear the glitter because it stays on longer.
[
Quote:b]NailsToYouFL :[/b]
> scratchmyback :
>>
> I am always good about removing though but it's easier for me cuz i have the
> 10 second timer for Shellac base coat. I didnt know Gelish had a 1min cure
> time for base coat. Ive been doing the 10 sec. cure. Oops. Look who's not following
> instructions. "doh". Im an idiot. Note to self--read instructions.

Actually, the instructions on the nail harmony website says 30 secs and the instructions on the bottles say 1 min! http://www.nailharmony.com/products/geli...e-gel.html
NancySyd :
> [
Quote:b]NailsToYouFL :[/b]
>> scratchmyback :
>>>
>> I am always good about removing though but it's easier for me cuz i have the
>> 10 second timer for Shellac base coat. I didnt know Gelish had a 1min cure
>> time for base coat. Ive been doing the 10 sec. cure. Oops. Look who's not following
>> instructions. "doh". Im an idiot. Note to self--read instructions.
>
> Actually, the instructions on the nail harmony website says 30 secs and the
> instructions on the bottles say 1 min!
http://www.nailharmony.com/products/gelish-

So im still doing it wrong either way!
> gel-polish/foundation--base-gel.html
sobeit :
> I have not had any experience with my gelish taking over 15 min. I check them
> @10 and if the top coat is still squeeky feeling, I file a bit more of it off,
> 5 min later I can remove the color and base.
> For those who have never used Polish Pro here is a pic of what soak off looks
> like. I did a soak off review a while back and this is just a re-showing of
> that. It is nothing like Shellac. Its hard to explain so maybe the pics will
> show you.
>
> This is 7 min into my soak without breaking the seal. This is
> also the original formula of color.

looks good for a mere 7 mins! Im def gonna give it a try!

As far as my difficult Gelish removals--im pretty sure those people had a layer of hard gel on top, or like Scratchmyback was saying--maybe the base was cured too long or some other technical error that made the soak off take so long! Ive had other gelish clients that i was able to do the soak off in about 10 mins---im looking for speedy removal so im def interested in Polish pro.
>
> [Image: Nonfiledsoak7min.jpg]
>>forget to tell her to remove her hand after 1 minute curing the base coat

You can absolutely over-cook these UV Gel Polishes! Elaine Watson was very explicit about cook times. There is some spread of time that is OK (2-3 minutes on the color coats - depending on the color and or strength of your bulbs. Older blubs and darker colors need a little more time.

OMG, yes, glitter can be a bleep to soak off! I am now giving them advance warning of the additional soak time needed when they ask for glitters now!
they all very

http://www.quicksoakbowl.com for faster removal of soakable gel polishes