BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Removal process of SOG, acrylic and SOGP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering what is the most popular method we all use to remove our Soak off Gel, Acrylic enhancements and Soak of Gel Polish (Shellac, Polish pro, ManiQ etc).

Do you use the acetone in a bowl method or the foil/wrap method?
If you use the foil/wrap method, do you use actual wraps (like the new hands down wraps or the CND wraps) or do you just use foil and a pad?

Why do you choose the method you use? Is it easier, less wastage of product, quicker??

For myself, I use the foil/wrap method for all 3 systems, I find this to be the quickest and cleanest and I find it also helps to keep the stink down from the acetone.
I have color coordinated foil that matches my salon color scheme and my clients love this little added touch.

sobeit

Hello you, I like the foil with cut cotton rounds, I buy the hair foils box so it's very affordable. It's in my opinion easier clean up, I don't have to find a place to dispose of the acetone from the bowl. Just toss the foils in my special trash bag. And for me it takes 3 cap fulls of acetone ( I did measure haha ) which saves a lot compared to the bowl. I did get the hands down 10 pack of their wraps, and they were ok, but the box is like $2 a service and I can't eat $2 an hour nor raise prices for soak off. Also for some reason my own nails were freezing with those hands down wraps. I have no idea why.
Thanks Sobeit for your thoughtsSmile

This has had near 50 views but only one answer.......pleeeeeeeease post and tell me what method you use????

I use the foil method, cut little pieces of my cheap kitchen foil (have them ready in a small box). and place fingers under my heat warm pad (low setting) for 5-10 minutes. Big Grin
what is the longest time u can soak that way (foil method)
I have had people with the Sogs which take FOREVER!!!! & seem to take over 20 min for even some release

I worry about chemical reaction & also the nails curling on the sides
(have seen it b/f)

ETS
I use foil method same foils as sorbeit
I toss my cotton triangles in a small glass bowl, squirt some solution & then oil the cuticles & apply cotton & foil.
10-15 min is my usual soak time..but like I said sometimes that is not even enough b/c it seems the gel likes to hold on sometimes & needs to be filed off..something I don't like to do b/c it seems to take forever
sobeit, what do you mean by cotton rounds? I'm just getting started offering this service and I want to be prepared with everything I need. I'll be watching this thread for sure!
I use regular size cotton balls, pulled in half, half for each nail. I roll the cotton in my hands before the acetone, then apply and wrap with small pre-cut squares of foil. ( i cut them to size myself from a regular roll of alum. foil). And i use mostly shellac so i have a quick (less than 10 minz) soak off time.
I use the cotton/foil method. I buy boxes of the cotton used for perms and cut them off the 'rope' into small pieces. I have a great industrial-use paper cutter at home and pre-cut the foil with that, it saves a lot of time! I do these up ahead of time and always have them on hand so I'm not wasting time doing it when the client is sitting there. I have a small glass bowl that I put a little acetone in and put 5 of the cotton pieces in there. I gently buff off the top coat of one hand then place the cotton on and wrap with foil, then I continue with the other hand. Sometimes by the time I get done with hand 2, hand 1 is ready to be removed. If not I wait a few more minutes. It never takes very long. Oh, I also use the Eco solution that you add to the acetone that makes the whole process faster. Works great!
Eco solution
does it really help removal process go faster?

why is that do u know?
oh & how does it work?
I have heard about it b/f on here & considered it but did not want to have to buy ANOTHER product..oyieeeeee
Thanks so much everyone for your responses.......keep em coming!!!!

Colleen, I do the same as you, make sure I have a ready made supply of everything needed. I think it is not very professional to have the client sitting and waiting for a tech to cut up everything while they wait.
Cutting (or pulling) the cotton balls in half, yes that's ok cause it's quick but it's a different story if they have to wait for us to cut the foil etc.

So why don't any of us use the old acetone in a bowl method anymore????
For me, it's just a huge waste of acetone, the heat from the clients finger helps with product removal when in foil so I don't have to heat up a bowl of acetone and one of the biggest things for me is, I can remove each nails product one by one.
When using the bowl method, you can not take out one finger at a time easily )client comfort) and just remove this nails product and keep the others soaking until you need them, so instead you have to take out all 5 and by the time you get round to #3 nail, it's started to harden up again.
Plus it's really stinky too doing it with a bowl, at least the smell in confined to the foil, then straight into the bin after removal. If I have a few removals in a row, I will empty my bin after 2 or 3 removals to avoid the smell floating through my room if I have to lift the lid again later.
This method also allows me to apply cuticle oil exactly where I want it to the surrounding skin to help with drying out the skin.
And best of all, I love that I can color coordinate my foil color to match my salon decor.......I just think this is a cute little touchSmile

Is there any other reasons why you guys don't use the bowl method that I haven't mentioned???

sobeit

Quote:Donna in Huntsville, TX. :
> sobeit, what do you mean by cotton rounds? I'm just getting started offering
> this service and I want to be prepared with everything I need. I'll be watching
> this thread for sure!
I use these cotton rounds from Sally's http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cotton-Rounds...lt,pd.html
I like them becuase they are flatter for me than cotton balls. I cut them into 3 strips and then each strip I cut in half or thirds so I have just enough to cover the nail. I have my acetone in an acetone proof plastic squeeze bottle and that way I just saturate the round with a little squirt and wrap in the foils.
After doing it this way for a while I have made my foils the perfect square size for wraping so there isnt to much foil to work with. I think my squares are 2.5 inches. I was using bigger pieces but it was a pain to fold over and around. Haha.
Sue- yes it works, I noticed a difference right away. The bottle omit isn't that expensive and will last a very long time.
Sobeit, this is exactly the type of pad I use too but I buy square ones (for some reason they are slightly cheaper) and I cut them into quarters and it fits the nails just fine.
Lately though I have been cutting the one quarter into a half to use on the pinkie nail as I'm finding a quarter to be too big most of the time.
OK! It looks like I need a few more things.....thanks so much for all this info. Off to Sally's for more stuff. How much Eco soak should I add to the acetone?
wooska, I love your idea of the cotton balls in the bowl. I make such a mess tipping the bottle to saturate the cotton balls before wrapping in the foil. I know many use the pump bottles for this but personally I don't.

suestation, if it is taking 20+ minutes to soak, and not with your products, then they most likely have a traditonal UV Gel top, or possibly it was not a UVGP but a true soak off product (Axxium for instance) that usually does take 20-30 minutes to soak off. The curling is a result of the nails actually conforming to their natural shape, and the drying effect of the acetone. I have found I typically see this on those being transitioned from traditional gels or acrylic to UVGP. If their nails are exhibiting that much of a curl, they might be better served with a true soak off, hard gel or even an acrylic aplication.

Eco Soak Off Solution is a stand alone item. It is acetone with added ingredients that indeed assist and speed up the removal of all UV Gel Polish brands. You would use it instead of your regular acetone. The other advantage to eco Soak Off Solution is the additives also help reduce the drying effect of the acetone, leaving nails less dry.

The other option is the Eco Accelerating Complex which consists of 2 additives: that you add to your existing acetone to create an accelerated removal, the same as if you were using the eco Soak Off Solution. The other item that comes with the Eco Accelerating Complex is an additive to alcohol to make a finishing wipe.

The reason Eco Accelerating Complex was introduced was to help save you money, but more so because shipping alcohol and acetone can be quite costly with HAZMAT fees incurred by the shipping compnies.

You can read more and purchase at:
http://www.manicuresthatlast.com/catalog...n-c-6.html

[Image: eco1281.jpg]

I have done experiments removing my own eco Soak Off UV Nail Color with both straight acetone and the Soak Off Solution, using the Soak Off Solution absolutly speeds up the process.
Lorraine, I can't take credit for the cotton pad in a bowl idea, it was Colleen who mentioned this idea.
Thanks anywaySmile
Quote:Lorraine, I can't take credit for the cotton pad in a bowl idea, it was Colleen who mentioned this idea.
Thanks anywaySmile

Big Grin
Thanks Lorraine

I will probably order some soon when I need some more stuff
I have heard many techs on here & other boards who recommend it.

Can u answer for me tho about the cut off time in a acetone soak?
is there a time limit? I just don't want to overdo it with anyone.
I have had this happen b/f even with using my own SOG's especially if there was a bonder used, nailart or a SOG builder underneath & I neeed to let the Acetone soak longer or else nothing budges (I use Gelish & Entity..sometimes Eco but I only have 2 colors of Eco just waiting for the bottle form..hehe)

the nail curling is very uncomfortable, freaky looking & happens sometimes when product is on more that 15-20min

Thanks
sobeit :
I did get the hands down 10
> pack of their wraps, and they were ok, but the box is like $2 a service and
> I can't eat $2 an hour nor raise prices for soak off. Also for some reason
> my own nails were freezing with those hands down wraps. I have no idea why.
>

I love those too, but you're right, they're so expensive!
suestation :
> Thanks Lorraine
>
> I will probably order some soon when I need some more stuff
> I have heard many techs on here & other boards who recommend it.
>
> Can u answer for me tho about the cut off time in a acetone soak?
> is there a time limit? I just don't want to overdo it with anyone.
> I have had this happen b/f even with using my own SOG's especially if there
> was a bonder used, nailart or a SOG builder underneath & I neeed to let
> the Acetone soak longer or else nothing budges (I use Gelish & Entity.
> .sometimes Eco but I only have 2 colors of Eco just waiting for the bottle
> form..hehe)
>
> the nail curling is very uncomfortable, freaky looking & happens sometimes
> when product is on more that 15-20min
>
> Thanks

I think you mean cut-off time as in how long to be soaking? I would have to say yes, but am not 100% certain. I would think that after some time the acetone evaporates and is no longer effective. But in thinking that through a little further, we soak acrylics for 30+ minutes. Yes, if you have used any type of bonder, you will need to soak a little longer before peeking. I might start peeking in that case at the 10-15 minute level.
ColleenNY :
>
Quote:> Lorraine, I can't take credit for the cotton pad in a bowl idea, it was Colleen
> who mentioned this idea.
> Thanks anywaySmile
>
>
> Big Grin

Ah.. thanks for being honest! And then Thank You Colleen!

jb100680, if you are looking to protect your own polish, the Hands Down are worth every penny! I have used them since they first came on the market and there is no other option in my mnd!
Hey, anything to help my fellow peeps!
Thanks Lorraine, I try to be honest and you must give credit where credit is dueSmile

Our industry is already full of techs stealing other techs work and claiming it as their own, so I refuse to be any part of this type of thing, even on the level of peoples ideas.

I must say, my thoughts were right, I had a feeling that the foil/wrap method was much more popular these days.
I think back to my days of bowl soaking and I cringe. The amount of acetone I must have wasted, the stink in the room from the acetone, the mess!!! Thank goodness we have come ahead in leaps and bounds.
it's exciting to think of what the future holds in removal techniques and products being easier and easier to removeSmile

If anybody else wants to chime in on what removal technique they use and why, please keep em comingSmile