BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gelish or Shellac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

sobeit

TN Nail Lady, they're going to say use the CND lamp so they can guarantee the results, but I use a P.N.I 36 watt tunnel lamp with all Shellac, Gelish, Eco, polish pro and soon to be OPI. So you will be fine with the 36 watt lamp you have. Just get a base and top from Gelish or shellac and then try one or two colors and see. I like Gelish better than shellac as it doesnt get thick and applies nicer than shellac, removal is just as quick for me no matter what. I use Gelish foundation with all my gel polish colors and polish pro top on all of them as well. I just prefer them. So they do work mix and match base and color lines. Big Grin I just don't recommend using less than the required 36 watt lamp, as you can end up with under cured polish or irritation and I don't think upping exposure time gives a correct cure. Oh I also was using the PNI two hand 36 watt lamp, it was 2 long 13 watt bulbs. But the thumbs never sat right and the lamp was to big for my storage space. So I use it on myself at home.
Do you guys use the gelish cleanser and soak off stuff that come with it? I am ordering some gelish and wondered if I can use alcohol to cleanse and acetone to remove?

Thanks so much!
I use alcohol and acetone to soak off, I don't know if their soak-off stuff works better or faster, though, cuz i haven't tried it, but alcohol works fine to wipe off with---I have even used hand santizer, LOL--it worked fine to wipe off the dispersion layerWink
I used to use both Gelish and Shellac but now am using only Shellac. I like that the colors are more opaque and they do soak off easier. Gelish says 3 week wear but all of my clients come every two weeks as it is wearing off the ends. Also have lost several clients as they have gone to Sally's and bought their own Gelish and light!! :x

sobeit

Quote:handsindirt :
> I used to use both Gelish and Shellac but now am using only Shellac. I like
> that the colors are more opaque and they do soak off easier. Gelish says 3
> week wear but all of my clients come every two weeks as it is wearing off the ends. Also have lost several clients as they have gone to Sally's and bought their own Gelish and light!! :x

I hate to say it and it sucks, but if they are the kind of client who went out to buy their own, they woulda done so no matter what brand you stuck with at the salon. In the end you don't want clients who prefer the done at home look. Right?

Just an example, I did the gel polish on a friend of a friend, then she thought, hey I can do this at home. She bought a whole kit, was really excited, the cherry on the cake? It took her 4 hour the 3 times she "tried" to do them. She gave up, and I don't have room.
PS just so "someone" isn't confused. I was using Eco which is in a jar, client bought ibd in the jar, no client of mine has left me to go buy their own Gelish, thick to use shellac, or polish pro. Not a single one, which is why I say they will if the want no matter what. :wink:

handsindirt :
> I used to use both Gelish and Shellac but now am using only Shellac. I like
> that the colors are more opaque and they do soak off easier. Gelish says 3
> week wear but all of my clients come every two weeks as it is wearing off the
> ends. Also have lost several clients as they have gone to Sally's and bought
> their own Gelish and light!! :x

Hmmm, Shellac is wearing off the ends? Are you capping the free edge? Not having the wearing off the ends problem with Shellac. Most come back in two weeks because of the growth area at the cuticle area. Other than that your comment is my sentiment exactly. I sure don't have any clients quit coming to get their Shellac Manicure because Gelish is available at Sally's. :wink:
I pitched a fit at first over Gelish being at sally's but my clients like to go in a test the colors out then tell me what they want me to order. Its win win. They dont want to do it at home, but i have their hearts desire every time they come in! i have not tried shall but since using Gelish i dont feel i need to. The colors are awesome, they are easir to get, they wear amazingly. Also Im not sure who said it but Gelish is not atone resistant. I dont buff my gGelish before i soak it. Just add actone and go. I do wear it myself and rarely have an issue. I use a very light buffer on the client, just enough to smooth any sharp edges on their nail but Thats it. It even sticks to weak thin nails!
Hey guys I need help please.

I got my gelish order today, I was disappointed in the sheek white it wasn't as white as I thought it would be, is this the brightest white? Ok, so I went to do my sisters nails with a swiss french and it took 3 coats of the white before the streaks were gone, they were lovely but the white was so runny, ran under the free edges too. I did mine tonight too (Bellas vampire) wow what an awesome colour, loved how it went on, my right hand wrinkled some under the lamp but my left was fine, so I am guessing I applied too thick with my left to right hand. It wasn't anything the top coat didn't cover, so they look great. Just really down on the white and the pink isn't a nice coverage pink either it's just like a clear, forget the name!!

Another question with the foundation do you guys dry brush at all like they say too?

Thanks!
I use the Eco remover with all my soak off gels...it is less harsh than just acetone and I am finding that it soaks off much faster.
Where are my gelish users?? Please help!
I do not like the Gelish sleek white either... it looks "dirty". Not white enough, so I just use Shellac creme puff since it's whiter.

I'm having a problem with just 2 clients.... their nails peel so the gel ends up peeling off. Does anyone use a primer? Does it work with peeling brittle nails?
I made very sure to cap my free edges with my gelish and after day two there is a slight fading on the free edges, no lifting or anything like this though. Is this normal? Has anyone tried using the top it sealer to freshen up when nails get dull, I am heavy handed and rough. Still looking good so far though.
Neither. LUXIO from Akzentz is fabulous, solvent free, and the chemistry is entirely unique. Extremely easy to apply (far less shrinking), many colors will go on in 1 coat. Long lasting, soaks off easy.
None of the UVGP require buffing of the nail plates prior to application. Shellac recommends a great mani and cleanse/prep, the others all state great prep, and remove the shine. That is not buffing. It is really a lighter touch even then removing the shine for an acrylic or hard gel prep.

The only brand to my knowledge that does not require breaking of the seal before soaking off is Shellac.

Many techs are mixing one brand of base with another brand of color. Personally I prefer eco So Quick base, which is a non-solvent UVGP, because it comes in a pot not a polish bottle and I have far more control applying not only the base, but the colors also with a gel brush as opposed to a polish brush. Also a true )non-solvent) UVGP should not get thick because it has no solvents to evaporate.

You should be able to do fill-ins with all the brands of UVGP. If they are using the same color, simply smooth it down with a light grit file, do your prep on the new growth, base on the new growth, cure, base the entire nail, cure - both base coats VERY thin. Proceed with your colors. This will cause though a longer soak time and you might want to consider filing it off if she wants a complete color change.

You can use acetone to soak off and any cleanse to remove the dispersion layer, but all the major brands state you need to use their entire line, including in most cases their lamp, to get any support or trouble shooting. I can tell you for a fact if you mix lines and call the company, they will tell you they have not tested that combination and can't help you.

Some like Peggy are adding olive oil to the acetone to help reduce the drying effect of the acetone. I love eco's Soak Off Solution because it already contains a mix of added ingredients that not only help reduce the drying effect but actually seed up the removal process.
Pages: 1 2