BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gelish or Shellac?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone use either of these two to make a choice as to which they prefer? I like Shellac because there is no buffing on the natural nails. I know gelish requires it. Is there any other gel polish products that doesn't require buffing the nails.
Thanks in advance,looking forward to hearing opinions.
I have been using Gelish successfully since they came out without buffing the nail.
However, you are not going to find an alternative to Shellac that does not say that they do not require buffing because Shellac is the only one of its' kind. It is more polish than gel; whereas all others are a gel polish (more gel than polish).
I offer them both because of this difference, however, Gelish wins hands down every time for several reasons.
Can you please list your reasons I would love to hear them. So you use gelish successfully without any buffing at all. How are clients nails who've worn them for a while? I am looking at a new line so any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Shellac doesn't have more polish than gel, per Doug Schoon. He told me it has components of polish in it, not actual polish. Because it does have some polish ingredients in it, it allows the moisture to evaporate from the nail bed, just like regular polish does.
Well, after some experimentation, my clients have mostly gone with Gelish because the color range first off and they feel that they get better wear from it and it adds more strength to their natural nails.
I have just removed my Gelish this evening and have not put anything back on yet. I have been wearing Gelish steadily for at least the last 6 months. The set I just removed had been on since 9/24 and quite grown out by the time I actually got around to it! :oops: Which usually requires a little extra soak off time; but I got them soaked off cleaning with no "scraping" in less than 10 miinutes.
In light of your question I have taken a picture and posted it in my fb album if you would like to take a look. I did take off some length in process of removal, so they are shorter than they were, but are still long for me. As you can see, my nails are fine with no dry spots, white spots, dents, wear or anything else.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2...842&type=3

sobeit

I'm going to vote for Gelish, if your only looking at the 2, because so far it doesn't get thick like shellac, and I too don't buff the nail, I just soak off, wash, shape, reapply. I love Gelish foundation, but I also love polish pro colors over Gelish foundation. I use 4 different brands of color, for the variety. Gelish, polish pro, shellac, and Eco. Polish pro has a thinner, but you can't use it with other brands, Eco is all gel with pigment so it never thickens, Gelish hasn't thickened yet, and shellac gets thick without a doubt, but if you don't mind shaking it each use, then it's fine.
Why not use both? We do here. That way there is a color choice for everyone. Sometimes they choose a Shellac and sometimes a Gelish. Either way we have good luck. And, I also do not buff with either one. Just dry manicure and re-apply. I do use the buffer block under neath the free edge and along the free edge to get any last minute snags etc.
Thanks for the replies, looks like gelish is in the lead. I am trusting you seasoned nail techs....and I really appreciate this!

Claudia,

I couldn't view the pic,
oh another question, do you have to file off surface shine before soaking off with gelish?

So you'd have to be careful when doing other peoples nails while the nail tech wears gelish?)
Yes you have to buff the surface or shine off to soak off Gelish (I actually just run my efile over a few areas and thats it)--that is why the techs nails are fine when working on others nails. I have never had an issue with my Gelish when working on clients.
This pic is immediately after removal. During the process--I did shorten them somewhat (and they are still a bit long for me), but they are still strong and perfectly heatlhy with no dry spots, roughness or anything else.
I still do offer them both (Shellac & Gelish) along with P2 and Gelify, but I go through the most Gelish.
[Image: BareNails10-11-11.jpg]
Do you remove both hands on yourself at the same time? I found this to be difficult to do with cotton/foil method?

Thanks again...
Having a hard time finding a Canadian Distributor, anyone know of someone?
aj :
> Do you remove both hands on yourself at the same time? I found this to be difficult
> to do with cotton/foil method?
>
> Thanks again...

Ha! :lol: I can, but it is a pain! I usually have my husband wrap my right hand just to save time.
Can you use shellac and gellish interchangeably? Like, the gellish top and base w/ shellac color?
also, do you have to shake the base and top coat with the gellish like they say to do with the shellac? And do you have to shake the gellish color polishes as well?
For me I like my shellac. just because of how easy it comes off. BUT that being said I hate the small color rage they have, Yes yes I know you can LAYER it. but I do not want to have to do that. Nor will layering get me neon color. SO I will offer both. WHY NOT? I am also going to invest in Light Elegance line as well. I love their gels!!!
I use Gelish and Shellac colors with the Shellac top and base coat, no problem.
I am running out of the shellac base and top--I just got the gellish base and top coat today, and it sure seems like they will last longer than the shellac, plus the shellac gets thick and there isn't as much in there as there is with the gellish. Plus, don't they have a thinner for the gellish as well?
does anyone use the gelish base as an adhesion layer prior to putting on regular gel products? I was looking at their site, and it seemed to indicate that you can do this---interestingSmile

sobeit

I don't think they have a thinner for Gelish. So far I only know of Polish Pro renew. But since they are so different I would steer away from using it in Gelish or shellac. I love love love using Gelish foundation as my base for all SOGP applications. It holds them all on like crazy. I am not a fan of their top coat, I think it's the little bit of blue hue to it. It changed my grey color to lavander and it wasn't to pretty. But that was only with that shade. So far have not seen any thickening with Gelish, I swirl my brush in it to mix out of habit. But I shake the doodie out of tue shellac first. And I shake polish pro.

I believe from the last thread about Artistic Color Gloss that it is very similar to Gelish (created by a friend of Danny Haile) and they have some gorgeous chocolates and mauves I want to get my hands on. Colors I don't see in any other line.
Do you use the gellish foundation for other gel applications too? have you ever tried that?
Im so confused now...lol. I like the sounds of both but find myself leaning towards Shellac. The main reason I want to try something new is that all my clients using my other line had weakness and thinning of the natural nails and all of which are no longer gel clients. I'm not sure any would try another line to be honest....
I think my clients would prefer Shellac because there is no buffing what so ever and they can easily remove them at home at their leisure.

For me I would like gelish so that I can work on clients and still have pretty nails as the gelish is acetone resistant until I break the seal...
Do any of your clients go more than 2 weeks with Shellac? My clients want to push 3-4 with the gel polish I was using...many did too! But the removal was a bugger for me.
bear3303 :
> Can you use shellac and gellish interchangeably? Like, the gellish top and
> base w/ shellac color?
> also, do you have to shake the base and top coat with the gellish like they
> say to do with the shellac? And do you have to shake the gellish color polishes
> as well?

There is no need to shake Gelish and it does not thicken with time. I use Gelish Foundation gel with all of SOG applications. (as well as hard gel)
What about how much more you get in a gelish bottle compared to shellac!!!!
No brainer
aj :

> Do any of your clients go more than 2 weeks with Shellac? My clients want to push 3-4 with the gel polish I was using...many did too! But the removal was a bugger for me.

These newest types of gel polishes are not meant to be stretched to the limit. Two weeks for Shellac is fine, three weeks for Gelish can be done, but any longer and they are risking broken nails. I always tell clients the products work great the way they are intended. If they want to go longer, they won't be happy if they have chipping, breaks, etc and then they'll want to blame the product. Also they absolutely need to use cuticle oil, faithfully.

If they want to go longer, I will recommend a traditional gel manicure for them, with or without colour on top.

sobeit

Quote:tricia :
> What about how much more you get in a gelish bottle compared to shellac!!!! No brainer
I agree, even the Gelish minis (.30) are bigger than Shellac full size. (.25)
I have been looking at both of these products too. I am leaning toward Gelish. I just printed instructions from Shellac to read. I know, it lists everything- 9 pages worth. Gelish has only a couple pages. Shellac says no fill-ins. I have a freind that fills her Gelish. Also the question about the lamp...CND says only use theirs. Will someone comment on that, please.
I am not a fan of OPI...sorry...but I do want to see the gel polish when it comes out.
Pages: 1 2