BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: GEL TOP COAT OVER POLIISH?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

In May I'll be doing mani's for tourists. I know a regular manicure doesn't last long so I was 
Wondering if a gel top coat over plain polish would hold.

Thanks!

Monti
It's not recommended.
You can put gel top coat over completely dry polish. And I mean completely dry-as in you no longer have the out gassing of the polish (you cant smell it anymore) which literally takes hours, even with fast dry top coat. Most people wait overnight. If you don't wait long enough you get bubbles trapped under the gel.
There are other issues. Gel can peel off the polish as they don't adhere well. People can still have wear problems since the regular polish is still what is adhered to the nail and is less stable than gel polish.

Why not just use gel polish? If a client opts for regular nail polish they should know how long that polish wears on them, they can't expect miracles just because they're on vacation.
(03-02-2017, 10:00 AM)NailzOnLine Wrote: [ -> ]It's not recommended.  
You can put gel top coat over completely dry polish.  And I mean completely dry-as in you no longer have the out gassing of the polish (you cant smell it anymore)  which literally takes hours, even with fast dry top coat.  Most people wait overnight.  If you don't wait long enough you get bubbles trapped under the gel.
There are other issues.  Gel can peel off the polish as they don't adhere well.  People can still have wear problems since the regular polish is still what is adhered to the nail and is less stable than gel polish.

Why not just use gel polish?  If a client opts for regular nail polish they should know how long that polish wears on them,  they can't expect miracles just because they're on vacation.
(03-02-2017, 11:07 AM)Monti Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2017, 10:00 AM)NailzOnLine Wrote: [ -> ]It's not recommended.  
You can put gel top coat over completely dry polish.  And I mean completely dry-as in you no longer have the out gassing of the polish (you cant smell it anymore)  which literally takes hours, even with fast dry top coat.  Most people wait overnight.  If you don't wait long enough you get bubbles trapped under the gel.
There are other issues.  Gel can peel off the polish as they don't adhere well.  People can still have wear problems since the regular polish is still what is adhered to the nail and is less stable than gel polish.

Why not just use gel polish?  If a client opts for regular nail polish they should know how long that polish wears on them,  they can't expect miracles just because they're on vacation.

Thanks for your reply.  I have so much regular polish to offer than gel polish but I guess I can go by more.
Try using a ph bond and a dry manicure. "React" base and top coat from Morgan Taylor to extend your regular polish application.
As stated gel top coat is not recommended over laquer.
(03-02-2017, 08:36 PM)ameera319 Wrote: [ -> ]Try using a ph bond and a dry manicure. "React" base and top coat from Morgan Taylor to extend your regular polish application.
As stated gel top coat is not recommended over laquer.

Thank you!