BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: help needed (photos)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 019.jpg]

[Image: 015.jpg]

[Image: 018.jpg]

[Image: 013.jpg]

it is the first time i upload photos and i need your help.i don't know which case comes first but there are 2 things i want to ask.first is the condition of the hands that this client has.she owns a leather shop and her hands during winter are always like in the pictures.those photos were taken after the manicure and after peeling,hands lotion etc.i don't know what else would help her so here i need your help.
the second case is a client that her dermatologist told her that this is onycholysis but it seems to me that it is fungus.what do you think?
Well, on the hands, you can only do so much. Working with leather is very hard on your skin. She does need those calluses. You can smoothe the surface, but they need to stay there. And since she is working with a permeable material, she would not be able to use a "barrier" type lotion. Which in any other case I would suggest. She is just going to have make the effort to make some changes in her life. Wear gloves, use lots of good dye/fragrance free moisturizers and regular hot oil manis.
As for the toes, did the doctor take a scraping for testing? Not really my place to contradict the doctor, but I would not trust his information if the proper testing was not done! (but I have seen onycholysis look like this before)
Good luck!

sobeit

Onycholysis only means that the nail plate is separating from the nail bed. It can be caused from injury, I have a runner who gets this on her big toes from her shoes, no matter how short we keep the nails. To me, and I am not a Dr either, it doesn't look like onchycomycosis ( fungus ) and like Claudia said a scraping would need to be done. If the area under the lifted nail is clean, and free of cheesy looking junk, that may be why she was told there was no fungus there.
she has allready told me that when she used strong lotions they came out to the leather and she got in trouble.she cannot wear gloves to work and if you consider that she has household works as well this condition is not improving.she is wearing a lotion that her doctor gave with gloves during night but didn't make any difference as you can see.can you please give me more info about the hot oil manicure?i have never done it before.
as for the onycholysis the doctor didn't do any tests at all.he gave her a lacquer to apply and thats it.from my experience when nails have onycholysis and you put them in the water or oil on them they absorb it and they don't look like that after.this didn't happen here.but then as she said it appears and disappears often and this is something that does not apply to nail fungus. what would you do if you had to deal with it?
For a hot oil for her, I would suggest not using a water soak first off, then at the end of the service I would suggest massaging a good lightweight oil and really slathering it on and then either performing a paraffin dip and heated mitts for 10-15 minutes or at least heated mitts for the time followed up with a good dye/fragrance free lotion massage.
Onycholysis is a "symptom" of either injury, fungus or infection of any number of nail disorders.

In the absence of any of the above then the client should be instructed to keep her toes as dry as possible as it creates perfect pockets for fungus to begin.

sobeit

I would also recommend pure jojoba oil instead as it is closest to our bodies own natural oil.
sobeit :
> I would also recommend pure jojoba oil instead as it is closest to our bodies
> own natural oil.

you suggest for the client with the onycholysis right?what about the other one?can i somehow buff her fingers to smooth them? how can i remove the color that is absorbed in the cracked skin?a long time ago i have tried a lotion that could remove all this cracked skin and made it super smooth!if i find it again will let you know cause i had bought it from an excibition and cannot recall the brand!

The client with dry hands will have to do home care in order to keep the cracking to a minimum. I recommend to anyone with dry, cracking skin to use Avon's Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (don't laugh cause it works). It is very moisturizing and with some heat there will be even a deeper penetration of the lotion. If this is done at night before going to bed it should help. Just getting nail service once every two weeks isn't going to help much, not that it isn't better than nothing, but since they work with their hands home maintenance is important. For the heat part of the treatment I would suggest either electric mittens or use a heating pad. Use food bags to wrap hands in with lots of lotion.

As far as the toes, I'm with Claudia on this one. Without getting a culture there is not way to know 100% if there is fungus or not. I see lots of yellow on one toe and it looks like it has spread to another toe. Fungus does not have to look "cheesy" for it be fungus. I've had clients come in with it, that was dianosed by a doctor, and there was no "cheesy" look, so you never know.

sobeit

tsita78 Oh, I meant the oil for the client with dry hands. And having her use a little sugar scrub will help. I also ask clients to add the brown sugar to their palm and drop some of the jojoba in it a few times a week. I have gone as far as asking them and teaching them how to use a nail file the same way we would on our feet, around the nails and palms.

Cheryl, dont do that anymore its what causes issues, please no more contact in any way shape or form. Dont quote me or refer to anything I am saying or try and correct me. If I get one more email about the communication on BT I will pull my hair out... I am allowed to say why I think the dermatologist just gave a go ahead. This will prevent trouble in the future.

I am giving my opinion based on my experience and what I have seen and learned from doctors. You stated before that this board is about discussions and giving opinions, so that is what I am doing, nothing more, nothing less. How you take it is your choice and those writing you e-mails. And what I said is factual and had nothing to do with you personally. And it wouldn't of mattered who said it, I would have put in quotations to make a point that the particular look is not the only thing to look for in a fungal nail.
thank you ladies for your help! i when i asked i thought that you might have had a miracle tip or something that could really smooth the hands of this lady.i wasn't pleased with myself after i did her mani with this apperance Sad. i know its not my problem or that i didn't do something right but i wanted to offer her more.
as for the other client i told her what you all have said.if she doesn't do a scraping she will not be sure of what is the condition.the thing is that she is a climber and a scouting leader and wears often the uniform with this uncomfortable shoes that now i recall her saying that once her nail dropped because she went on a trip and had to climb and walk for 5 hours.maybe this is the case i don't know..
sobeit i didn't understand what happened Confusedhock:

sobeit

Quote:tsita78 :
> sobeit i didn't understand what happened Confusedhock:
No worries about that for you, it's a long on going problem that is not only here but away from the forum, I can't go into it out of respect for the other members here, but the other person knows exactly what is going on and that's all I can say..

My client that is also a runner, and a hiker/rock climber has lost her second to last toenail a few times from the injury to the nails be jammed into the shoe. Her big toe nails have some separation after an excursion. It grows out for her and we cut them really short. So her nails do suffer her sport. Not each one but a few, and I know it's not a fungal infection just based on its repeat behavior after she does her thing and how it heals when she is taking time off of the rigorous work.
The dry hands unfortunately are harder to care for and if your client can use some scrubs to get the dry skin off some, it will hydrate better.
I do have a secret I use and I won't put it on the forum becuase I don't want to debate its use. However for anyone interested I would be happy to share my simple procedure and results with you.
[email protected]
For the cracking a combo of Curel ultra healing or pure Shea Butter and 100% lanolin work well. I put the lanolin on first (it's consistency is of honey) with the Curel or Shea Butter over it.
Because you've got her toes separated, we can't see how the toes rest together. See how the 2nd toe is longer than the first? Perhaps they press together in her shoe and cause lifting. Her activities most likely include some side-to-side motion (maybe tennis?), where her toe is repeatedly traumatized against her shoe, causing lifting. Suggest a thicker sock and shoe with a bigger toe box.

Because we don't have sebaceous glands on our palms and soles, regular body lotions often aren't sufficient. Petroleum- and oil-based products are not moisturizing and will create a moisture barrier. If the molecular structure of the product is too large to digest, think Vasoline or baby oil, it can't penetrate the cellular layer of the skin. Urea is the best moisturizer, as it is recognized by the skin so it absorbs, it's hygroscopic (attracts moisture), and non-occlusive (benefit to diabetics).
I've found an awesome healing cream that works wonders for people with dry cracked hands and feet. It's called O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream (there's one for feet too, but it's really just about the same thing in a different tub). I bought one for my hubby who gets splits at the ends of his fingers in the colder months, and the splits healed right up and didnt come back.
I told a client about it and she got the feet one to use on her cracked heels. What a difference! They have to be diligent in their home use though, otherwise it won't do much good. It's inexpensive and lasts awhile too. I'm going to retail it this winter in my salon.
If you contact them and wish to retail it too they'll send you wholesale info.
http://www.okeeffescompany.com

HTH!

tsita78, need to clarify that my last comment was not directed to you in any way. There seems to be a double standard on the board of someone telling another person that not all comments are directed to them or about them, but then that person takes a general comment made as directed to them or about them. And any communication outside the forum has not transpired since first part of October and she knows that.

In reference to your clients toes, her condition certainly could be from climbing. The pressure from the shoe and trying to grip onto rocks, etc. could cause the toenail to become unattached from the nail bed. This also happens to runners. If your client is not prone to ingrown toenails, keeping her toenails cut short could help some. The one pic of the toenail looks very yellow so I would still ask her to have her doctor do a culture to ensure it isn’t fungal. I was only trying to point out that there are different looks to a fungal nail, so you can’t always tell by the way they look.

Thank you to all who shared what works for them in helping with dry skin. It will be helpful to us all.
thank you so much ladies for all the help! i love this board so much!!! it has been the best education for me since i joined! Big Grin

sobeit

Glad I could be of some help. Email me anytime as you can see I can get a little more info out to you that way, you know where to find me ♥
sobeit :
> If the area under the lifted nail is
> clean, and free of cheesy looking junk, that may be why she was told there
> was no fungus there.

It's very possible that because the doctor didn't see any cheesy stuff, HE thinks it's not fungus but as you said, a scraping would need to be done to be able to tell 100%.

From looking at the picture and we all have to remember that pictures from different cameras show up different colors, the nail looks yellow but this could be caused from many different things not necessarily a fungus, the nail looks quite clean from the pic, so I totally agree that a trip back to the doctor is in order or maybe a different doctor for a 2nd opinion.
We all know that fungus presents in different ways although there are more common ways than others, like the cheesy stuff under the nail/s, discoloration of the nail etc.
We were all taught the issues to look out for and one of them is the cheesy stuff and discoloration of the nail and in the absence of these symptoms, it is hard to tell what's really going on.

tsita78 :
> thank you so much ladies for all the help! i love this board so much!!! it
> has been the best education for me since i joined! Big Grin

Yes, this board is great. I've learned a lot on here about our industry and specifics in reference to doing nails.