BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: What is the average hourly pay for a nail tech?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently accepted a job as a nail tech at a nice spa. I am surprised of the low hourly wage of only $12.00 an hour plus tips & 10% commission on retail, (All Aveda). I was quoted 13.00 an hour during my interview but the owner claims she never said that & her notes say $12.00. She also told me she pays higher than other places. I have been doing nails for 15 years with a salon in the downstairs of my house in a small lower income city. Decided to drive 45 mins away to pick up some additional income for 2 days a week, I am so embarrassed to make this low wage at 58 years old. If it is appropriate to ask. What do other nail techs working at spa's make?
(07-12-2015, 05:02 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]I recently accepted a job as a nail tech at a nice spa. I am surprised of the low hourly wage of only $12.00 an hour plus tips & 10% commission on retail, (All Aveda). I was quoted 13.00 an hour during my interview but the owner claims she never said that & her notes say $12.00. She also told me she pays higher than other places. I have been doing nails for 15 years with a salon in the downstairs of my house in a small lower income city. Decided to drive 45 mins away to pick up some additional income for 2 days a week, I am so embarrassed to make this low wage at 58 years old. If it is appropriate to ask. What do other nail techs working at spa's make?

After checking out a few sites on line, I am learning that $12. per hour is an average wage for nail technicians. I quess I am lucky that I can boost my pay by working hard to retail.
Unfortunately, for hourly, $12 is actually high. Spas tend to offer more chances to earn commission and they offer benefits.
Yah Sad I used to work at an aveda spa and $12/hr is what i made after 11 years there! I think its a decent wage. Kinda made me sick that that was my cut when we were charging $55 for a spa pedicure lol but that's how it goes
Girl.... I worked for a multi million dollar Spa that was run by a Gynecologist (his office was at the other end of the building too!!).... And I'm embarrassed to say when I first started, we were only making right under $9.00 an hour plus tips. Now this was a very wealthy section of town, and I did make killer tips.... But our pedicures were $75!!!!! Tell me THATs not a slap in the face especially when I had to teach my boss--- how to do nails properly!!! Eek. I only lasted a year there. It was awful.
But ya, make the most of it or leave. That's about all we can do anymore.... Right??? lol.
If you want some perspective on wages, read this: http://www.thisuglybeautybusiness.com/20...rance.html
My spouse is also very well trained in beauty parlour work. She was operating from home. After the birth of child she left the work for around 1 year. Thereafter she thought of doing job at some beauty parlour. She is very well trained all beauty parlour techniques. In one interview she was asked by the owner of the parlour wheher she is trained in nail tech and her answer was in positive. You will be surprised what they were paynig for one hour it is just $10. That was the most embarrasing position for her. Thereafter she never visited anywhere and operating from home and doing well.