BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Looking for a new acrylic line...suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all-

It has been a while since I have been here. I have been a nail Tech for 9 years. Over that time I have tried a few acrylic brands and have not been totally happy. I started with CND, then Tammy Taylor, OPI and have been using Young Nail for about the past 6 years. I have been happy with Young until about 6 months ago when I started having lifting problems. I have checked everything including my technique and though it has gotten better it has not eliminated some major lifting. So I'm about ready to move on.

What is the latest and greatest? Also, I notice that when I see people who go to the discount nail shop they can have the worst looking nail job in the world but it still sticks! Has anyone tried the "no name" brand that the discount shops use and had great results? Any and all advise is greatly appriciated!

Thanks!
I have wondered the same thing---the cheapy places seem to know how to make it 'stick'-----I would love to hear some feedback on this, as I am having lifting too!
I have recently tried Republic Nails. Their ads are in the nail magazines. Their prices are very reasonable and the quality-IMO- is very good. I will post a pic if I can.
[Image: Cindy10-5-11-1-1.jpg][/img]

I've heard on here that Nailite's acrylic is good and very reasonably priced. Especially their monomer. Call and talk to Lisa, she may send you samples sizes to try.

http://www.nailiteinc.cm

sobeit

I'm going to stick in my vote in for NSI attraction. As an 18 year acrylic lover, it is the best I have ever used. I was an OPI girl, moved to bio nail way back in the early 90's then used CND solar, radical, moxie and retention.
The NSI Attraction is for me the perfect acrylic. Seems to have the perfect ratio on it's own, they have winning white, which, thank you to Angelaglitterfreak, we were shown really is white, compared to others which are gray looking next to it. They have softer white, a gorgeous pink mask, a nice sheer pink, clear, as well as colored pigments to make anything you can dream up. I love to mix about 1:4 pink mask with clear for a natural nail bed color that still covers imperfections in the nail plate, but isn't opaque looking. I get zero pocket lifting like I did with CND. Lifting around the cuticle is usually prep, but I have one chronic lifter and it is so much less using attraction. She calls it a miracle. Plus it is way more affordable than most.
I know if you contact NSI dot com you can get a sample. Big Grin
What primer do you use with the attraction?
The "cheapie" places keep the product on because they grind the heck out of people's nails and use an acid primer. More than likely they're using an illegal MMA acrylic product that's hard and if it breaks will rip the nail right off the nail bed. The MMA acrylic also doesn't have a UV inhibitor which means, after time, the acrylic will become discolored, yellowed or even turn brown.

For every set of nails that you see from the cheap places that aren't lifting or breaking, you'll most likely see another 10 sets with lifting issues, broken nails from poor structure and discolored acrylic.

The legal EMA product is a bit softer (so if it breaks, the acrylic breaks and not the nail ripping it off the nail bed) and the prep doesn't require you to etch the nail or use an acid to make it stick.

The way the softer EMA product stays on better is through proper structure in applying the acrylic to the nail and using a non-acid primer or a bonding agent such as a protein bonder. Of course, perfect prep and cleansing the nail of natural oils, dirt and debris is very important, too.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter which brand of acrylic you use as long as it's legal, you prep the nail perfectly and you create a nail with proper structure.

That being said, I use Young Nails speed powders and TEN Linkage. I've used Entity acrylic and I love it as well but I've had allergy issues with the fast set acrylic. I don't have that problem with Young Nails.

I hope this helps!

sobeit

Quote:bear3303 :
> What primer do you use with the attraction?
You can use your favorite primer or protein bond, I use the attraction primer.
Harmonysky-

Why do you prefer Linkage to the YN protien bonder? Do you think that is why you have zero lifting?
I think I usually have no lifting problems for a few reasons.

One, I'm very careful with prep. I push back the cuticle and gently take the shine off the nail. I use a mani brush and YN Swipe to scrub and clean off debris and oils from the nails.

Two, I use the 3 ball method to create proper structure. I firmly believe that having a strong stress area will prevent most lifting issues.

I like Protein Bond and use it when I run out of Linkage. However, since I started using Linkage, any of my previous problem lifters have stopped lifting! Even clients with ski jump nails (my BIGGEST problem children!) have better success when I use Linkage. I'm not going to mess with success!
I'm still an Entity fan. I use it with YN's Protein Bond and I don't have any problems with it.
I recently tried Harmony Acrylic and although it's good, I've had some issues with it. Lets just say i like a more versatile line. I'm hoping they'll perfect it because I'd like to stick to using their products!
Linkage is by far the strongest bonder on the market. Its a bit finicky to work with, and if you decide to try it, let me know and I'll tell you the do's and don't's with it. It's a great product to have in your arsenal!
I am really liking Nailites acrylic line. Especially for the price.
sobeit :
> I'm going to stick in my vote in for NSI attraction. As an 18 year acrylic
> lover, it is the best I have ever used. I was an OPI girl, moved to bio nail
> way back in the early 90's then used CND solar, radical, moxie and retention.
>
> The NSI Attraction is for me the perfect acrylic. Seems to have the perfect
> ratio on it's own, they have winning white, which, thank you to Angelaglitterfreak,
> we were shown really is white, compared to others which are gray looking
> next to it. They have softer white, a gorgeous pink mask, a nice sheer pink,
> clear, as well as colored pigments to make anything you can dream up. I love
> to mix about 1:4 pink mask with clear for a natural nail bed color that still
> covers imperfections in the nail plate, but isn't opaque looking. I get zero
> pocket lifting like I did with CND. Lifting around the cuticle is usually prep,
> but I have one chronic lifter and it is so much less using attraction. She
> calls it a miracle. Plus it is way more affordable than most.
> I know if you contact NSI dot com you can get a sample. Big Grin

Thanks for the recommendation Peggy! If you'd like to try a sample, contact us: http://www.nsinails.com/contact-us.html
Donna and Harmonysky-

Where can I get Linkage and How do you both use it?

Thanks everyone! any more imput is appriciated!
I started using the Entity medium set acrylic about 3-4 years ago and i have not turned back since. It's easy to apply and it comes out beautiful.
Lisa at Nailite sent me FREE samples of the Omega liquid and some powders. LOVED it. What I ended up going with was Omega liquid with the Double Dark Pink powder (it's in the reg powder line). It's not TOO dark like the name implies - it's a perfectly clear pink. Use it with the Omega white if you are doing p/w's. wonderful and have very little problems. I use their primer also.
Hmmm, I went to order linkage, but you only deliver via USPS and they are too lazy to walk a package to my porch, they just throw packages on the side of the road where anyone walking by can (and have) pick it up! And they won't deliver to address' inside town limits so I can't have it shipped to my shop... bummer.
Sorry your having problems with Young Nails. Sad That is a shocker to me, because I have great success with this product. I have clients that only do one fill per month, because they can not afford every two weeks, and her nails are all still on with no lifting problems. Before moving on and spending a lot of money on products. Call YN customer service, they are great in helping with problems. Also if you have another product you would like to try, email them for a free sample before paying tons of money. Best of luck. Smile
I use young nails but I use TEN's linkage and NO lifting issues since I switched to that.
Thank you everyone for all your help and advise. I have changed some of my prep and application methods due to some great advise here. I will order the linkage and give that a try as well. In the mean time I'm going to put the pro. bond on 2x's and see how that does. Thanks again!!!!