BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: New and excited!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, im looking for some good online training videos and informational material that will help further educate me in my new career as a nail tech. I will finish school in mid June and I want to to be as thoroughly informed as possible! I've beed sadly disappointed with how little training/hands on experience we actually get in school. Sad As per normal, I think, it's mostly about hair at my school. None of the educators really do nails.... so they often seem misinformed about products and application techniques. I live in a small area, so our school has very few clients for Acrylic and Gel Nail sevices, so there just isn't a lot of hands on opportunity at school. I practice a LOT on that doggone doll hand, and have a few friends that let me practice on them.... I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job, but of course I want to be good enough when im finished with school that I can feel confident providing services.
I have few you tube channels that I follow, Tammy Talor Nails, Young Nails, etc.... are there any other suggestions?
Im super excited about my new career.....it's a "later in life" change for me. Smile I'm in my 40's and have always been creative, so this feels like a wonderful fit for me!
Thanks for any helpful tips you'd like to share Smile
I had the exact problem, we received very little education in school about nail services, and the only hands on services they offered had to do with hair. We had to sculpt one pink and white nail when we took our state board exam, and they showed so little concern if it was done right, they would pass you if you had a glob of white at the tip and pink in the back. When they reviewed my nail the instructor's exact words were "Well I can see who is planning to pick up a nail brush after leaving this room.". Specific brands have a lot of education videos on their sites (CND, Young Nails, OPI, etc) . Also one thing I did while in school, was find a mentor. I applied for an apprentice license, and first she let me watch her perform services, and explained the why and how to. Then she let me perform services on her client overflow and some of her long time clients. She would ask her clients if they minded me doing their nails while she observed my technique, and helped with any problems I may have.
Also, if you have a facebook account, there are alot of pages/groups that have experienced nail techs, that don't mind you asking questions and are happy to help with any problems you are having. "Those Nail Girls" is a great group. The members are mostly from the UK, but they are great at helping one another and have a "there is no stupid question" attitude.
Ladies, unfortunately thats a repeated story for the ages.. even if you went to a dedicated nail class like I did, the teachers knew less than I did because I was online (and doing nails for 4 years at the point NY decided we needed licenses and I had to go to school). In the Shoppe here you will find many DVD's on technique and nail art that you can watch over and over.
Thanks!! I'll check those pages out. Love getting good strong info from seasoned techs..... its frustrating whenni know morenthan my instructors!! :/
I have a couple techs in mind that would make wonderful mentors..... I will be checking into that, too! Smile
I have a couple techs in mind that would make wonderful mentors..... I will be checking into that, too! Smile
Thanks!! I'll check those pages out. Love getting good strong info from seasoned techs..... its frustrating whenni know morenthan my instructors!! :/
I would try and find a mentor. It is the best possible thing to do. Also, I would try to find. Job at a salon that will start you in mani and pedis first and let you work up your confidence there and then introduce you to artificial enhancements slowly. It's the best way to do it if you have a learning curve (and trust me, nearly all schools leave us lacking).