BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: need to make a change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I have a little situation that I would love some input on.
I've been working at a salon for almost 3 years. The situation when I first started was that it was a hair salon and the owner basically created a small nail space for me to work in. I brought my clients from another salon and I was working full time and making pretty good money. I wasn't too crazy about my new work area but the owner assured me it wasn't permanent and she had plans for expansion in the future. The owner decided to expand and move the hair salon to another location in the same shopping center and open a nail salon for me to run. We ended up getting another manicurist in the salon, had an esthetician who was there maybe 2 months. My boss already pays me illegally by paying commission and not paying employment taxes on me. My situation now is that about a month ago she approached me to tell me that the nail salon is not making money. (I'm busy almost all the time) She tells me she needs to lower my commission 5%. I'm not okay with that I purchased all of my gels, led light, gel lamp, and most nail tools are mine. She does supply a lot but I she's extremely hard to approach about getting more supplies that I find myself just purchasing them. I don't think dropping my commission 5 percent is fair at all. It's not my fault she got in over her head. I asked her if I could pay booth rent her answer is "that would be very expensive, it would be 1500 a month" Which obviously means she doesn't want to do it that way. Basically I didn't have plan b so I said fine can we start my new commission first of the year. Yesterday I get a text from her saying that she needs to adjust my last paycheck because it should have reflected my new commission because it started the first of the year. Keep in mind, last pay period was 12/20 to 12/31 which is NOT January. I told her that it was wrong. Okay, so last thing that happened and I promise I'm done ranting. My boss asked me to work Mondays recently so I had scheduled clients for Mondays, not completely booked but busy enough. Well yesterday I was looking at my schedule because I was going to book a Monday appointment and they completely took me off Mondays and my clients had been deleted. I talked to the receptionist and she said the owner decided to close on Mondays and that they had called all MY clients to reschedule them. It would have been nice for them to let me know. It put me an a really bad position with my clients. That was basically the last straw. Is it understandable for me to be upset?
It sounds to me that she feels she don't have to consult with you because she is the boss but that is not right to treat your employee like that. Your good because I would have put her in her place in a nice way and went from there. I would probably start looking for another salon to work at because she doesn't value your time, skills, nor your clients! And to go down to 5% you might as well stay home for what she is going to pay. Good luck on your decision!
(01-09-2015, 03:20 PM)uranso02 Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds to me that she feels she don't have to consult with you because she is the boss but that is not right to treat your employee like that. Your good because I would have put her in her place in a nice way and went from there. I would probably start looking for another salon to work at because she doesn't value your time, skills, nor your clients! And to go down to 5% you might as well stay home for what she is going to pay. Good luck on your decision!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the latest that happened today was that she moved my 2pm client to the other manicurists schedule because she got a cancellation at that time. Not cool at all. She doesn't value me at all and it sucks because I'm the one that actually brings the salon money. I found another salon that I will be starting soon. It will be a whole different situation, booth rent.
Get out now while you can! And be discreet about taking home the supplies you bought yourself, but start moving them out pronto. Tell no one that you are thinking of leaving so that the owner doesn't cut you loose now & keep all your equipment.

At this rate the salon is going, you could show up to work one day to find a pad lock on the front door & all your supplies locked inside.

I wouldn't give advance notice you were leaving until you've found another salon, notified all your clients that you are leaving & gotten all your supplies out. Then tell the owner you're working your last day.

Otherwise, she will most likely fire you on the spot.....so be sure you get all your ducks in a row first. Learn from this lesson that you should not work for people who cheat or do things that are not legal.

Jill in Ky