BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Would like to get some advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Morning Ladies,

I first want to say I am not a nail tech. I have however been around salons since I was a kid as my father owned them prior to him passing.

My backround is a nail freak...LOL yes I do more than the average person that goes and gets their nails done. I love everything nails and I'm a perfectionist.

For 26 years I had been best friends with a person that own her own nail salon. I was very much a part of that until a falling out which resulted in me breaking ties and having to find a place to have my nails done after all those years.

I'm a fan of the OPI Absolute pink and white and have done really well with the product with no problems at all. I called around my area to find a nail salon that uses OPI products and started going there. This place is extremely clean and believe me I should know what to look for since I've been raised in a Salon environment. It has taken a few months for the tech to know how I like my nails and achieve the result that I was looking for. I only go to one girl and the salon has been in business for 18 yrs.

Here is my problem. I for over 26 yrs have never had one problem with itching or sore cuticles until now. I get my nails done every 3 weeks. I then come home and shape them to how I like them and apply NSI Glaze n go. I cure under a UV light for 90 sec and I'm good. I do this because I'm a perfectionist and I like my nails to be a certain shape so it's just easier for me to do this. I did this prior at my friends salon also. It's just a control thing I guess..LOL

I remember that when I was getting my nails done before if I'm correct the monomer liquid was a purple tint which now the monomer is clear. The symptoms are the symptoms that one would get if they were using MMA product instead of EMA. I did ask the salon what liquid monomer they were using and she showed me the absolute OPI bottle but still I'm questioning whether or not the product is authentic due to the tint of the other that I remember which since I was the one privy to the info I knew it was authentic OPI absolute Monomer.

This just started to happen within the last 2 months. I am now trying to figure out what could be the problem. I waited to apply the Glaze n go to see if this was the problem. I ordered new primer that was acid free to see if this was it. Both were not. The only thing I can think of is the liquid monomer. Can the liquid MMA Monomer be used with OPI powders? Can I just all of a sudden be allergic to the product after 28 yrs of getting them done?

The procedure that was done prior at my own salon was every two weeks I would have them done. The backs were clipped up and only the loose was removed then backfilled. Whites were done every other fill so pinks were filled every two weeks, whites once a month. I wasn't thrilled with the look but that is how they were done. I didn't like the clip marks that were left behind as the nail grew. I also didn't like that the whites would look weird after three weeks. The nails were hand filed.

I now go every three weeks and have the pink and white done. They do use an efile. Most of the old is removed but not all. The pink is applied and a smile line is cut away to then have the white applied. Filed and buffed. Whether or not this is proper I don't know. This is where I could use some guidance.

The itching and tenderness last about 3 days then it goes away.

Please would you guide me?

Thank you so much. Sorry it was long.
Yes, MMA can and could be used with OPI powders or any powder for that matter.. yes you can develop an allergy to acrylics after 28 years. Once allergic, always allergic and it will only get worse IMHO. I suggest you get tested to be sure. Its not the technique that is the issue here, its 26 years of over exposure, either by the salons or the things you do when you get home. The allergy could still be the glaze n go, but chances are its the acrylic monomer thats making you itch

(08-11-2014, 01:11 PM)BeautyTech.com Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, MMA can and could be used with OPI powders or any powder for that matter.. yes you can develop an allergy to acrylics after 28 years. Once allergic, always allergic and it will only get worse IMHO. I suggest you get tested to be sure. Its not the technique that is the issue here, its 26 years of over exposure, either by the salons or the things you do when you get home. The allergy could still be the glaze n go, but chances are its the acrylic monomer thats making you itch

I want to thank you so much for the advice. I have a call into OPI customer service to see if what I remember is true. I have already ordered new OPI absolute Momomer to take with me. If I could work on my right hand I would do it myself but I can seem to get that down. Is there a Acrylic sealer that you like better then Glaze n go? I like a high shine. I do notice that the girl that does my nails tends to use the powder wet. Meaning after picking up the product the excess isn't blotted off. Again it's been many years since I've even walked into another salon that does nails and many things have changed since then.

I have been reading this site for awhile now and everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable that I figured if anyone would know or could direct me it would be this site. I love reading here. Again thank you.
I just received my OPI monomer and it's as I remembered. It is tinted purple which means that the product that they are using on me is either not the OPI or it's MMA. This must of just happen or it took time to have a reaction. My next refill, I will take this with me. I will make them use my stuff and see if this is the problem.
I'm thinking you didn't actually read what I said Smile You most likely are allergic to acrylic monomer. Once allergic, always allergic.. which means in very plain English, it doesn't matter what brand or type of acrylic you bring them, they use or don't use MMA, EMA, tinted, not tinted. you are allergic and will react.. and the react will get more sever every fill. You are most likely going to have to look for another TYPE of enhancement.. and NOT GEL..

If someone is going to have a reaction, it would be with gel FIRST the acrylic.. so if you reacted with a little itching puffy with acrylic, you'll be out of your mind with most gels.

You MIGHT want to try wraps, a dip system or maybe, gel polish.. BUT keep in mind not every set of nails is a good candidate for each of those services.. This is something a trained nail technician can work with you to find the right enhancement for you Smile

The "wet" use during acrylic application is EXACTLY what causes an over reaction==allergic reaction.
(08-11-2014, 04:13 PM)BeautyTech.com Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking you didn't actually read what I said Smile You most likely are allergic to acrylic monomer. Once allergic, always allergic.. which means in very plain English, it doesn't matter what brand or type of acrylic you bring them, they use or don't use MMA, EMA, tinted, not tinted. you are allergic and will react.. and the react will get more sever every fill. You are most likely going to have to look for another TYPE of enhancement.. and NOT GEL..

If someone is going to have a reaction, it would be with gel FIRST the acrylic.. so if you reacted with a little itching puffy with acrylic, you'll be out of your mind with most gels.

You MIGHT want to try wraps, a dip system or maybe, gel polish.. BUT keep in mind not every set of nails is a good candidate for each of those services.. This is something a trained nail technician can work with you to find the right enhancement for you Smile

The "wet" use during acrylic application is EXACTLY what causes an over reaction==allergic reaction.

Good Day Ladies,

I wanted to update you on what has transpired with my acrylic issue I was having.

I waited for a month until I had my nails done again. I figured this would give my finger tips time to heal. I talked to the owner about using my own monomer and she was open to it and I did a trial run with the OPI monomer that I received. We only did two nails in case I would have an reaction.

I did not experience a problem, so I scheduled a complete refill of the pink and white. I had this done last Thursday and to date I have not had any problems with a reaction since changing to OPI monomer.

I fully understand what was posted about once you are allergic you are always allergic, whether it's with MMA or EMA but for me my reaction I truly believe was due to the MMA and not a true allergic reaction since I did not experience any type of reaction since the change.

I wanted to thank you for your advice and I enjoy reading this site.

I'm glad you found a solution that seems to work for you. If my memory serves me right, there is 1 molecule difference between MMA & EMA.. The situation may more be other ingredients in the monomer.
(09-12-2014, 02:04 PM)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ][quote='BeautyTech.com' pid='34671' dateline='1407787983']
I'm thinking you didn't actually read what I said Smile You most likely are allergic to acrylic monomer. Once allergic, always allergic.. which means in very plain English, it doesn't matter what brand or type of acrylic you bring them, they use or don't use MMA, EMA, tinted, not tinted. you are allergic and will react.. and the react will get more sever every fill. You are most likely going to have to look for another TYPE of enhancement.. and NOT GEL..

Good Day Ladies,

I wanted to update you on what has transpired with my acrylic issue I was having.

I waited for a month until I had my nails done again. I figured this would give my finger tips time to heal. I talked to the owner about using my own monomer and she was open to it and I did a trial run with the OPI monomer that I received. We only did two nails in case I would have an reaction.

I did not experience a problem, so I scheduled a complete refill of the pink and white. I had this done last Thursday and to date I have not had any problems with a reaction since changing to OPI monomer.

I fully understand what was posted about once you are allergic you are always allergic, whether it's with MMA or EMA but for me my reaction I truly believe was due to the MMA and not a true allergic reaction since I did not experience any type of reaction since the change.

im sorry..why do you want to return to a salon that doesnt use professional products? a client shouldnt have to supply a professional product ..PERIOD
Because of the skill of applying the product and how they look when done. I'm only supplying my monomer. It may be strange to many but I've seen the quality of many shops and to date I have not found one that can do pink and white the way I like them. They are close and extremely clean. I'm also stopped often and asked where I get my nails done. If I have to supply my own monomer to achieve what I want it's a small price to pay. The only question I had was the monomer not any other product they use which are all professional products.
(09-12-2014, 02:04 PM)Jasp Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2014, 04:13 PM)BeautyTech.com Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking you didn't actually read what I said Smile You most likely are allergic to acrylic monomer. Once allergic, always allergic.. which means in very plain English, it doesn't matter what brand or type of acrylic you bring them, they use or don't use MMA, EMA, tinted, not tinted. you are allergic and will react.. and the react will get more sever every fill. You are most likely going to have to look for another TYPE of enhancement.. and NOT GEL..

Good Day Ladies,

Hi Jasp....You did EXACTLY what i would have suggested you do. I sudden change like you experienced would believe it a change in products first. Good for you!! Enjoy your nails!!
Please keep in mind that there is also a chance of developing allergic reactions to non-acid primer. HEMA (hydroxy ethyl methacrylate) is often used in non acid primers and in both EMA and MMA monomers. HEMA aids drastically into adhesion, but it is a sensitzer. It is also a very low odor methacrylate which is appealing in formulating monomers.

Just note that you could be seeing a reaction from the primer as well. You can always try my Nomma Plus liquid. It does not contain HEMA and primer is optional (you should still use a good bonder like my PH Plus).