BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: disposable liners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last time the inspector came in she said I needed to log my pedicures. If I use disposable liners why do I need to keep a log?
Here in TX I have to fill my tub with disinfectant and let it sit overnight every two weeks - which we actually do - but how this is supposed to do anything is beyond me since we don't even have piped chairs and my EPA registered, hospital grade disinfectant kills pathogens in 10 minutes. (and if this was really a necessity what about the people using the tub days 2-14? LOL)

Unfortunately that is what happens when people outside the industry are writing the rule book.... You can be compliant or you can be fined...
I think it varies state by state. I was just recently inspected at my salon(North Carolina) The inspector walked over to my tub(which is the Belava tub with liners) and promptly turned around. She never asked to see my log or even mentioned it. I directly asked her if I needed a pedicure chair log, she hesitated then said no. I am pretty sure she had never been cornered with a question before. I asked her to note that on the sheet she gave me, that way if another inspector came in and gave me grief, I have written proof.
In California too, using liners, still required to sanitize the tub even though the water and client never touch the tub....

some day California will get with the superior cleanliness of liners

last inspector, did not know what a plastic nail tip cutter was
when I offered to show her how it worked she seemed irritated
then she cited us all for not doing end of week cleanings, not required for our pedicure tubs....
took a long letter to straighten out her error

In Calif, required to clean Spas at end of day and end of week.... if the spa is not clean enough cleaning after client cleaning, then who gets a clean tub? only the person who comes in after that end of week cleaning?

How much cleaner to require liners for pedi tubs... faster, cleaner.... require us to log a new liner, right?
I asked about why, they say, "we can't tell if a liner was used"
well... how do they tell if the cleaning was done, right?
the tub is CLEAN and the cleaning logged
with a liner, the tub is CLEAN and at the liner could be logged....

even those people who do not spend the time to really scrub could have a clean tub using a liner.... I don't get why it is not encouraged
The regulations in California will change soon; it's been in process for a long time.
You can keep up by receiving email updates from the California board, or better yet, attending meetings or reading minutes of past meetings so you'll know what's happening.
(06-22-2014, 10:47 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: [ -> ]The regulations in California will change soon; it's been in process for a long time.
You can keep up by receiving email updates from the California board, or better yet, attending meetings or reading minutes of past meetings so you'll know what's happening.

I'm glad to hear it, I think it will promote sanitation.

it makes sense to many the tub should not need cleaning too when the "container" (liner) is thrown out... I especially like liners since the sides of the tub are kept clean too, anywhere the gloved hands touch while or after touching feet, the surface touched is protected since the new liner has had no contact with other clients

I signed up for updates, never received any
attending meetings, Sacramento?... not practical
and, until the change is made....
board has not seemed open to input from ground level

I like more communication between board and beauticians. Too many stories I hear from other salons, and have seen some of it my self is a lack of clarity about regulations, workers and inspectors not understanding what is meant. We were cited once for something not a violation and it took too long to straighten out (and will some ill grace, I was sorry to see).
Many are cited for not understanding details of storage and cleaning... take acrylic brushes for example.... Storing brushes in a container often leads to damaged bristles, so, it presents a problem to store.
we don't store nail polish bottles in a container (mine are "covered") and the contact level is the same.... the handle does not touch the client and the product cannot grow or sustain anything... bacteria will not live in acrylic liquid...
I called and asked, "what do you want the brushes cleaned with?"
the answer was "what ever it is you clean your brushes with"

there are specifics missing... for example pedi logs, no mention is made of how long a time period of logs should be available for the inspector to view.... a week? a month? a year?
There are going to be people who don't understand sanitation or don't care... but it is a shame to see people who are trying fined for something they did not understand

and more seriously, no determination is made to test if sanitizing solutions are mixed properly (Barbicide has dip sticks that show solution strength)...when I used to teach, I would see pale blue containers of barbicide (I asked what they used), clearly not mixed to the proper level.... just a bit poured into the jar for color...

Wendy, you make some excellent points. However, once a decision is made and become law/regulation, the opportunity for meaningful input has essentially passed. Beauty professionals need to be informed and involved at all times, not just when deregulation is threatened.

Note, meeting attendance is not required to share your opinions; but it certainly helps to understand the context.

For those living in California, here's the link to receive email notification of meetings/pending regulations/etc.: https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/barber/in...arties.php
RE: disposable liners
Wendy, you make some excellent points. However, once a decision is made and become law/regulation, the opportunity for meaningful input has essentially passed. Beauty professionals need to be informed and involved at all times, not just when deregulation is threatened.
that is the problem isn't it... once it is fixed in law, even if not effective... I can imagine what is required to examine and effect changes... but if it is ineffective, then letting it stand... falls short of the intention.
attending meetings, Sacramento? Who could afford that?
Pity is there is no direct system for effective communication. I found that when I tried to contact the board about fines we received from a inspector who did not understand the regulations... it took a long time and an 8 page document to resolve and, no apology, the response read like "you should not have been fined we will let it go this time, don't do it again" ;-)

it is perplexing
and not as clear and supportive as, say, the regulations and regulators we dealt with in the medical labs, perhaps I expect too much.
Note, meeting attendance is not required to share your opinions; but it certainly helps to understand the context.

For those living in California, here's the link to receive email notification of meetings/pending regulations/etc.: https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/barber/in...arties.php