BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: acetone trashing nails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With repeated gel polish application and removal I am concerned about nails being damaged by repeated, long exposure to acetone - specifically for clients we use Cuccio on, which requires extra soaking.

does anyone have thoughts or policies in place for persistent gel-users? (do you reccommend a break, etc) Also, if you add oils to your pure acetone to help with dryness, what is the ratio for a gallon jug?
I have seen so much damage to the natural nails from soak off gel polish being soaked and scraped and the ENTIRE nail repeatedly being filed and buffed every two weeks. (sometimes sooner.) To keep your clients from ever losing faith in you due to causing damage in the first place, I use a thin clear (hard gel) as a barrier to protect the natural nail.

It goes down first as a foundation to the gel polish service and gets filled every 2 weeks at the new growth. This way the natural nail doesn't get completely exposed and trashed every two weeks because the hard gel doesn't soak off and protects. You can soak as usual or you can e-file off the "color" leaving the barrier hard gel in place and and just filling it.

I only use this for the every two weekers. Not for one time or special occasion clients.
I've heard this before - do clients "know" you are doing this apposed to the soak off base?
Does the gel polish last longer with base of hard gel? Making the client go longer then every 2 wks?
Thank u!
(06-04-2014, 01:14 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard this before - do clients "know" you are doing this apposed to the soak off base?
Does the gel polish last longer with base of hard gel? Making the client go longer then every 2 wks?
Thank u!

Yes, I tell them what I'm doing and why. I want them to know I care about the health of their natural nail and I know what I'm doing. I want them to know they are in good hands. They are very happy about that and are a loyal client from that point on.
Yes I have clients that go three weeks and only have grow out at the cuticle. Polish is in perfect condition with no chipping.

as far as the base hard gel goes, I look at the clients natural nail and if it's thin and weak and like paper I apply the hard gel a bit thicker than just a thin coat. This is what creates the strong foundation for the gel polish to stay on strong. And yes this client becomes a gel overlay client with gel polish and they pay more.

But you have to explain all this to your client. Educate them. They will love that they found you!!
I agree I think the damage is from over buffing and scraping, than from soaking in acetone. Most of the time when I remove gel polish there is still some base coat remaining as long as it is not lifting I will just leave it there to protect the nail. No need to remove 100% of the base coat.
I believe Doug Schoon has sort of debunked the whole damage from acetone thing...
(06-09-2014, 06:22 AM)lexibunny Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Doug Schoon has sort of debunked the whole damage from acetone thing...

Yeah. the damage in question here is not from acetone. Dough Schoon thanks again
Acetone will further damage nails that are flaking, peeling, or have prior removal surface damage. It dehydrates and gets the loose layers to start flaking up.