BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: picture perfect nails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How come every video tutorial shows picture perfect nails - and I get people with WIDE nail that want them to be shaped lean & square? Or I get cuticle & skin growth on the nail soooo bad & cuticle away doesn't budge it? Where are the training tutorials on this????? I need to really see what you do when the not so picture perfect nails are in front of you!!!!
Or when the client puts their hands into the UV light & comes out & the gel has dripped to the folds- or bubbled- or is bubbly/wavy along free edge- I would like to see MISTAKES addressed....when the glitter is too bulky....
Anyone know of any place with tutorials that address these mistakes?
Thanks - busy day & found myself rushing as I felt I was too slow
:-(
Rant over
Haha I feel the same way. It always drove me crazy that everything you see is on perfect nails. The nail forms fit perfectly on the first try. No shrinkage on the free edge or pulling away at the cuticle. Fills never had any lifting or the lifting they show is minimal. The client sits there so perfectly still and behaved. I always wished I could find tutorials with "real" everyday clients and problems. Like the commercial when the clients puts her hand in the bag of potato chips and her nails are a mess. Even though it was a funny commercial and I loved it it, it also irritated the crap out of me. Haha
Hopefully someone will come out with some "real" tutorials.
AMEN!!!!!
I'm so glad its not just me feeling this way! Who can we "write to"?
I know some "professionals" are on this site ;-)
It's like clothes and hair. You are shown things on the hands that make it look good. Sometimes its a model or sometimes just people they know who have nice hands. I work in photography and I'm a set manicurist. I've never seen a hair model come in for a product shoot that has dry hair, dandruff, dead ends, or anything that the product is meant for.
There has to be someone doing tutorials on what we see regularly!!
If not there's a market for it!
LOL ctonramk. First as an educator/mentor and nail instructor I have heard your frustration for years. I always found nail techs in my classes who had lifting and problem nails so I could show them how to fix the mistakes and do it right the first time.
When I was a newbie I made everything hard on myself, but I didnt have youtube or the internet for that matter with education all over it.

We can show you how to fix badly lifted nails, we can show you how to remove gel cured in the cuticle, we can show you how to deal with nails that have glitter applied too thick etc, but first we show you how to do it right in the first place so as not to have the problems you mentioned.

Then you need to "apply" the steps and methods used the "same" way.

But what happens is the new nail tech does the same thing they have been doing because it takes them awhile to see the error of their way.
New students always say "I did it just like you did", when in fact they only "thought" they did. After watching them in front of me and redirecting them they still had to struggle for awhile and I still had to redirect them until the brain and the motor skills had a party right at the same moment and then the "Light bulb" came on. It finally clicked.

It's the "Ah Ha" moment as I like to call it.

I think you should seek out a professional in your area to have a one on one with. (a seasoned professional) focusing on each on of your problem areas. Videos are great but only go so far.

I have just started producing videos and have a video on youtube on what to do with "those cuticles" that wont budge. It is very time consuming to make these videos and hard to find people with problems nails due to the fact that mine don't. I had a client come to me from somewhere else and I am making a video from her problems.
I'll do the best I can to help with your requests for problem nail videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8aPceQuxWA
Here's the link to the cuticle video. I apologize in advance for when Im out of the picture. At the close up range it's very hard to stay in the very small window while working. :/
Ahhhh Cindy - I wish you were in Jersey- I need you! Lol
I'm trying to find help - either seasoned techs don't want to, I found 1 and she is great & cost effective, wants me to bring a model to work on in her salon while she is working, however she works the same days/times I work & scheduling is almost impossible to juggle & find a friend who has a day off :-(
I'm not giving up....still looking & can't wait to click on your LINK!

THANK YOU!!
(06-04-2014, 12:50 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhhh Cindy - I wish you were in Jersey- I need you! Lol
I'm trying to find help - either seasoned techs don't want to, I found 1 and she is great & cost effective, wants me to bring a model to work on in her salon while she is working, however she works the same days/times I work & scheduling is almost impossible to juggle & find a friend who has a day off :-(
I'm not giving up....still looking & can't wait to click on your LINK!

THANK YOU!!

Your very welcome. Your on the right track as you have taken the first steps necessary. Don't give up and keep trying. It's always hard to schedule with another tech to work together. If you subscribe to my channel it will notify you when I post something new.
I'll focus on all the problems I've encountered in the past and if you think of other things you would like addressed in educational videos then let me know and Ill add it to the list. Be patient please tho, it's a work in progress getting this all together, taping it, editing, doing voice over and publishing! Smile
Cindy - thanks - great videos!!
Loved your cuticle video, I can't wait to see more
(06-05-2014, 12:16 AM)stuka123 Wrote: [ -> ]Loved your cuticle video, I can't wait to see more

Thank you! Im definitely NOT a professional movie maker. But hopefully I will get better. LOL.

Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when I get more posted.

Thanks again.