BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Mixing gel brands... works or bad idea?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some time I've used a different brand top coat, sometime a color from a different brand, sometimes even a different b rand builder gel sandwiched between the bonder, base and tops of a different brand gel.
Trying to match "off with her red" I mixed a couple different brands of color gels, even hard color and sog... it works
though, I doubt I will be able to duplicate it

Q... how far can I go with this? a gel that is too flexible and does not level well (but has good adhesion), can I mix another brand with it to try to tame it a bit?

while I have the chemists attention... they used to say the gels have a shelf life of "forever", do they really?
I've noticed a condition, when I start using a new product, it get good adhesion, by the time I am at the bottom of the container (and I decant, taking out small amounts to work with to reduce exposure to light and dust, etc, using a gel container) the adhesion does not seem as good...

I've had such a problem last few years with "old product" (over thick glues, old callus removers... I wonder if the age of the gel product is an issue?
My current job does what I call a Gel cocktail nail!
Axxium hard gel base cure
Brisa pink cure
LCN white cure
IBD pink cure
Any top coat gel.....
This makes me NUTS!
I heard a client saying she's been coming here a year & her nails chip- she's been getting nails done 15 Years & doesn't know what the problem is recently-- In my home or my former job I carried a few lines because not everything works for everyone I found - but this mix makes me nuts - Lol !
(04-30-2014, 04:54 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]My current job does what I call a Gel cocktail nail!
Axxium hard gel base cure
Brisa pink cure
LCN white cure
IBD pink cure
Any top coat gel.....
This makes me NUTS!
I heard a client saying she's been coming here a year & her nails chip- she's been getting nails done 15 Years & doesn't know what the problem is recently-- In my home or my former job I carried a few lines because not everything works for everyone I found - but this mix makes me nuts - Lol !
UGH - that hard gel base is what kills me! it is such a nightmare to remove soak off "gel polish" on clients who have no idea what is actually on their nails!

That said, we occasionally mix lines for internal use or nail art accents, but find staying with the same line works the best for staying power. Shellac base and top in particular don't play well with Gelcolor or Cuccio.