BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gel lamp/bulb specifics... what watt output?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found a discussion on "Ask" the writer says some things I am curious about...
says Brisa lamp "emits" more watts due to it's small size, the bulb emits the same no matter the size of the lamp, hard to imagine the smaller size of the lamp makes the watts stronger... am I wrong?
I can imagine being closer or further from the bulb might make a difference, but the size of the lamp? is the "reflection" that significant? years ago I worked for a company that made gel product, the light meter we used to test bulbs showed the reflected light was not really that great...
How much difference does the number of bulbs make beyond exposure area?
How much difference the size of the lamp and closeness to the bulbs?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...522AAEAb3z
When referring to the wattage of a particular UV lamp, its important to know that the combined wattage of the individual bulbs does is not what the wattage of the lamp is. Does that make sense? Let me try this. Most UV lamps take 9 watt bulbs. There are a few - very few, that take a 6 watt UV bulb. The number of bulbs in a particular UV lamp varies from a single bulb, to four, and even five bulbs with four being the most common. Lets assume that a lamp has four (9) watt bulbs in it. That lamp is still a 9 watt lamp. It is not a 36 watt lamp as so very many people incorrectly assume it to be.
The only thing different is the lamps UV light output per square inch. Obviously, four bulbs are going to give off more of an intense light than a single bulb. It get a bit more complicated actually. You see, the size of the UV lamp (in square inches when the interior is measured) plays a large role in the amount of UV light emmited and put to use. A large lamp with four bulbs has a larger interior area. There are lamps out there which are much smaller inside than most others and these will generally give a higher light output to square inch ratio. For example, the CND Brisa lamp is very small in terms of size. One hand fits just fine, but there is very little extra room to it. This lamp has three (9) watt UV bulbs. If you were to see the actual numbers which show the light intensity of the various lamps, you would se that even with three bulb, the Brisa lamp emits more UV light than almost all other lamps that use four bulbs.
A lot of what is said there makes sense, however, that last statement about emitting more UV light does not. I think that we would get a great explanation from Jim at Light Elegance, I will email him. Smile

Here is Jim's response:

The size of the lamp has a lot to do with the intensity of the UV light being generated. Think of using a 60-watt bulb to light a bedroom - the room will be darker than what you might like. If you use 4 60-watt bulbs to light the same room, then the room will be brighter. The same physics apply to a large room versus a small room. if you have a small closet, the 60-watt bulb might be sufficient to light the closet. If the closet is large, then a 60-watt bulb might be insufficient o give adequate light.

We use a general formulation of 1 9-watt bulb for every 12 square inches of interior space. If the lamp has 36 square inches of interior space, then 3 9-watt bulbs will be sufficient so long as the bulbs are close to the fingernails. If the lamp has 50 square inches, then 4 9-watt bulbs may be insufficient. I also need to mention that the make of the bulb is also important. Use the bulbs that are recommended by the gel manufacturer. Each bulb manufacturer has different standards, so choose carefully.
it seems contradictory... if four 9 watt bulbs should not be called a 36 watt lamp, then
"Obviously, four bulbs are going to give off more of an intense light than a single bulb." is not true... four bulbs are only going to give the same light but with more coverage....
unless there is more to it....
if the space in a larger four bulb lamp is covered with four bulbs... then the small 3 bulb lamp is not superior... it is small so three bulbs can cover the interior space... and the larger lamp has good coverage with light because it has the extra bulb to cover the extra space, right?
so... they are equal
and some one is a spin doctor... or am I missing something?
Very true, they are Not 36 watt lights and yes the larger lamp needs that 4th bulb to cover the interior space, for adequate curing. Their explanation does not sound like they are trying to 'spin it' to me, perhaps they just do not fully understand what they are saying.
From Jim's testing of Many lights & different bulbs, we know that many (discount) lamps use bulbs from China and they do not measure up. The Chinese made bulbs start to deteriorate after only 30 minutes of use, so they have to be replaced much more often than the higher quality bulbs like the Phillips brand from Poland.
We do know that our Light Elegance Lights and the Brisa lights actually do use the highest quality bulb, so possibly that is part of the reason that the response was worded the way it was. (i'm thinking they just may not fully understand Why the Brisa light gives a better cure)
One of the main benefits of a smaller light=Less expensive to maintain, another being that it takes up less space on your workspace.
The question is whether the Brisa gives a better cure?
... if the area is covered, fewer bulbs is an advantage to the cost of one less bulb (once, twice) a year and only if your clients have small hands...
that was why I said "spin", though agree, could be repeating without thinking, the spin may not be the authors.... the field is competitive
if a four bulb lamp like the Light Elegance covers all areas (I'm assuming it is still a four bulb, looked at the site, does not say) then the three bulb lamps are not superior in cure...
and a three bulb lamp does take up less space, but I did too many fixes on dents in the gel because the tolerances were too close...

completely agree about the cheap bulbs, picked some up at an OC supplier, thinking, how nice, $8.00 each... to bad they did not cure and I'm lucky, considering the lack of quality control and engineering that they did not burn.
The Light Elegance light is actually a 3 bulb light. Surprisingly, I get fewer "bulb touchers" with the LE light than I did with a larger (4bulb) tunnel light. I change the bulbs in 2 of my lights 4-6 times per year, and the other 2 get changed 2-3 times per year, so 3 vs 4 bulb sure adds up for me.
As for a better cure, I think that you can get a proper cure with any gel, as long as you are using the light that the manufacturer recommends for their system. They are tested and designed to work together.
I also believe that some lights are overall better than others, depending on the quality of the products used in manufacturing the light and the type of replacement bulbs purchased. I am certainly not an electrician, so I do not know the intricacies of the lights, but I do know that years ago, I had purchased no-name tunnel lights and after a few months I started having product break down issues...Pocket Lifting, cracking & breaking. Changing the bulbs did not seem to make a difference, so I purchased the LE light and problem solved. So I think the actual china-made tunnel light had ceased to fully function properly. From then forward, I only spend my money on quality products with companies that stand behind their products.
Smile