BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Is LED "safer" than UV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had a few clients come in recently that will only use gel polishes that can go in the LED light. They said that LED is safer than UV. From my understanding they are both UV rays but the difference is in the type of bulb being used. LED is stronger which makes it quicker. Does anyone know the right answer and an easy way of explaining this to my clients? Thanks.
(03-05-2014, 08:02 AM)stuka123 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a few clients come in recently that will only use gel polishes that can go in the LED light. They said that LED is safer than UV. From my understanding they are both UV rays but the difference is in the type of bulb being used. LED is stronger which makes it quicker. Does anyone know the right answer and an easy way of explaining this to my clients? Thanks.

First, as I'm sure you know, CFL UV lamps are perfectly safe. Even if used weekly for 250 years, they'd be highly unlikely to cause any skin cancer. That's from the study at Massachusetts General Hospital. CFL UV lamps produce UV light across a broad spectrum 325 to 400nm, LED UV lamps also produce UV light, but a more intense light across a much narrower spectrum, about 370-380nm. So while you spend less time in an LED lamp, the light is more intense.

It's also important to point out that the back of the hand is naturally one of the least UV sensitive areas of the body, four times the UV resistance of the forehead or cheeks.

The last study was done by Drs. John Dowdy and Robert Sayles, the co-inventors of the SPF ratings systems for sunscreens. They pronounced UV nails lamps as "safer than natural sunlight."

Here's an article that summarizes three studies - http://personalcaretruth.com/2013/07/thr...-are-safe/

(03-05-2014, 08:02 AM)stuka123 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a few clients come in recently that will only use gel polishes that can go in the LED light. They said that LED is safer than UV. From my understanding they are both UV rays but the difference is in the type of bulb being used. LED is stronger which makes it quicker. Does anyone know the right answer and an easy way of explaining this to my clients? Thanks.

First, as I'm sure you know, CFL UV lamps are perfectly safe. Even if used weekly for 250 years, they'd be highly unlikely to cause any skin cancer. That's from the study at Massachusetts General Hospital. CFL UV lamps produce UV light across a broad spectrum 325 to 400nm, LED UV lamps also produce UV light, but a more intense light across a much narrower spectrum, about 370-380nm. So while you spend less time in an LED lamp, the light is more intense. We have to be careful in calling the LED UV lamp "safer" since it implies some level of "unsafety" in traditional CFL UV lamps.

It's also important to point out that the back of the hand is naturally one of the least UV sensitive areas of the body, four times the UV resistance of the forehead or cheeks.

The last study was done by Drs. John Dowdy and Robert Sayles, the co-inventors of the SPF ratings systems for sunscreens. They pronounced UV nails lamps as "safer than natural sunlight."

Here's a good summary article - http://personalcaretruth.com/2013/07/thr...-are-safe/

Thank you for your answer. It's so frustrating trying to convince some clients that UV lights are safe. I will just continue trying to educate the uneducated clients and hope it sinks in. Thanks again.