BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gels: Did you teach yourself?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Man, I am so disappointed with my gels module Sad
The teacher is...of questionable quality....

All she does is talk, talk, talk (and gets off track) and for the prac element of the class time we are left to our own devices to practise on each other. Also, she does things like mixes nail polish with the gel and says it beats buying Polish Pro or Shellac, the latter of which she says is an inferior product.

Basically, we are teaching ourselves. I feel as though I'd be better off at home with my Nail Trainer (which she says is crap!) We are using NSI Balance Gel which, thank god, is easy to use. The lights at college really need replacing though so the cure isn't good.

But I'm not 17 anymore. I'm a grown woman with a family and I expected more for my money. I can't just spend $$$ when I want...it's gotta lead to something, you know?

So I want to know, has anyone here taught themselves?
I was so excited about starting this...but I am just so bummed about this at the moment.
don't get down about it. Someone once told me that the hardest part of cosmetology/nails is getting through school without just giving up. I thought she meant because it was so hard, but its more without getting discouraged. My nails course at the Cosmotology school I went to was horrid, but I watched videos on youtube, young nails website, medicool's website for e-file info, etc and I turned out being the only person at my particular school at the time that could do nails! Push through and learn what you can on your own, it makes all the difference!
I was working with a Young Nails mentor outside of school hours while I was still in school. Unfortunately, when our school instructor taught gels, I was doing a service on the floor. When we had a school client come in for gels and I did a full set, the instructor looked at them and said I was good enough at gels now and didn't get to do any more!!!! huh. So yes, outside learning can be the best! Young Nails has step by step videos for gel application and much more on their website.
FWIW I think your experience is fairly typical. Many of us spent a lot of money and didn't get much out of it. In my case I spent a fair bit of time reading back issues of Nailpro magazine in class. I'm thankful they were there because it connected me to this wonderful site, for instance, where I was able to learn and network. I also purchased a nail trainer, brought it to class and practiced on it when there weren't models to practice on. It helped with my application but we needed to work on more real hands.

Expect to continue your education throughout your career in order to learn new or advanced techniques. If you can find a mentor local to you, that would be an advantage. You have many wonderful nail artists in your country who can help guide you. Do your research and enjoy the journey Smile
Anyone interested in comprehensive gel training needs to check out LCNUSA website for our Symposium schedule.
Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, training is very expensive here and for me to take advantage of a private trainer would mean forking out a minimum of $400 per day which is classed as being six hours (I've been given a few quotes) and I just can't justify that kind of money right now.

Guess it's just me and my 'crappy' Nail Trainer for now.

sobeit

It really bums me out to hear experience like this. It's like they seem to find the lazy, burt out, often cosmo, people to hire as the nail instructor. When I taught I was a nail tech only, not into hair, and there for put all my effort and knowlede into teaching. I had reps come in from other companies to teach different product lines above and beyond the basics. I really wish that the nail teachers would be into their job, and show that love through better classes. Your hand trainer is a great way to practice, what is she talking about? And mixing polish with gel. It's been said that can cause leeching issues with uncured nail polish being trapped by the gel. It's the cheap and again lash way. It's to bad young nails has shown that to be acceptable, because it's not. Sounds like this teacher needs class herself.
I agree with the YouTube vids, watch as many as you can. You will not only see what is correct by professional educative on there, but what not to do, by at home nails that didn't turn out.
Hi please watch our free videos on line from Light Elegance we have several just watch them over and over I believe there is a distributor in Australia

Light Elegance is a gel manufactuer and we only deal with Gel

http://www.lightelegance.com
Kristen Dutcher
Light Elegance
Yes, I'm self taught. I bought my first kit at a nail show, totally blown away by how easy the instructor made it look. Thought I'd go home and be a nail makin' fool raking in the money doing full sets in 30 minutes.......well, needless to say, THAT didn't happen. It took me about 6 months to get the hang of it, picking everyone's brain on this board before I finally got a wonderful phone call...."Donna, I know I have an appointment today, but my nails still look great, I want to move my appt. to next week". I was totally over the top, til it happened 4 more times, and suddenly I'm not booked anymore and I'm losing money! THATS when I went up on my gel prices since most started going 3 and 4 weeks, instead of 2 as with acrylic.
About the instructor issue, here in the U.S., we have a saying, "those who can, DO, those who can't TEACH. It's not true across the board, there's awesome educators in schools and if you're lucky enough to get one, you'll get your money's worth, but for the most part, it's a place for aging cosmo's and unsuccessful nail techs to make sure they have an income and beni's.......
sobeit :
> It really bums me out to hear experience like this. It's like they seem to
> find the lazy, burt out, often cosmo, people to hire as the nail instructor.
> When I taught I was a nail tech only, not into hair, and there for put all
> my effort and knowlede into teaching. I had reps come in from other companies
> to teach different product lines above and beyond the basics. I really wish
> that the nail teachers would be into their job, and show that love through
> better classes. Your hand trainer is a great way to practice, what is she talking
> about? And mixing polish with gel. It's been said that can cause leeching issues
> with uncured nail polish being trapped by the gel. It's the cheap and again
> lash way. It's to bad young nails has shown that to be acceptable, because
> it's not. Sounds like this teacher needs class herself.
> I agree with the YouTube vids, watch as many as you can. You will not only
> see what is correct by professional educative on there, but what not to do,
> by at home nails that didn't turn out.

That was my school experience...a mean, catty, drama-filled burnt out Cosmetology-license holding teacher. I almost gave up a few times too. But now I'm using all my resources, watching all the vids I can online etc., and using my trainer hand.
My teach was okay, but i just practiced and practiced. I put flour in gloves and glues nails on and did gel and acrylic and then filed them off. If the glove popped then I know I was being rough, the gloves not very forgiving or helpfull just like a client (sometimes). i put gel or acrylic on my nails every week and then filed it of 7 days later and reapplied and now i find doing clients sssoooo easy. But it did take ages (maybe a year) but I dont advertise as Im a mum of 4 and a hairdresser working from home. I started doing nails as no one could ever do mine nice and I was alwas interested in nails and i have picked up so many cliets just by people seeing mine (from shopping , Doctors surgery or from my hair clients) . the reason I going on is this could be a good thing as doing your own nails and husbands (taking them straight off,haahaa) has made me a much better tech than the woman that taught me! Also when you do your own over and over you have to look at then all the time and you get really picky and you notice you mistakes. so dont give up because its so rewarding when you finish a set and descover sssooo many products, power polish,gel,acrylic, konad and minx and many more. My husband always says I thought you said you had everthing you need but I say theres sssooo many more things I want!!hahahah
JOJOBEAN :
> Hi please watch our free videos on line from Light Elegance we have several
> just watch them over and over I believe there is a distributor in Australia
>
>
> Light Elegance is a gel manufactuer and we only deal with Gel
>
> http://www.lightelegance.com
> Kristen Dutcher
> Light Elegance

I love this gel!!!
i am basically self teaching as well. We watched one bulidable gel vid at school, and it was basically on your own. I prob did two full sets while in school.

My salon does not do acrylic so Im offering gel nails , and have basically been charging $20 for a full set, plus two complimentary fills , as I am pretty much using these women as "models". I am still frustrated and looking for a education from a seasoned gel nail tech. I have the concept down, but have struggled to find perfect product
Stella- please Facebook friend request me

Kristen Dutcher thanks

My email is [email protected] just in case you can find me
Stella,
You can't go wrong with Kristin mentoring you!
hey thanks, I sent you the facebook request, im the one named Tara , lol
Me too I am still teaching myself and reading some responses is like reading my mind, had too a very bad experience with school, what help me the most is after I graduate, I went and did my internship in a SPA, and they were super nice they help me a lot, and also learn a lot from them. I was so happy there, more then when I was in school, even the ambiance was different.

I just bought my first try kit from LE, and like Donna I was like wow the instructor made it so easy, lol.
:lol:
This is unfortunately not an uncommon situation. When I went to school I didn't have a nail-tech teacher... I had a hairstylist wanna-be-a-teacher for a teacher who didn't know how to do nails. So yes, to say the least I taught myself. I luckily had been teaching myself, on myself, for a few years, but certainly not gel. Its tougher animal! I suggest you watch the videos everyone mentions. Even if you don't use the product, they might have a trip or technique you can use! Don't get discouraged, school is sometimes the best place to learn what not to do (as in the case of your bad bulbs, your going to see pocket lifting, uncured gel, wrinkles, you name it - what a mess!).

Find the mentors, find us all on Facebook and friend us, and be active on here! You have the tools and desire to be great, and you can do it!
Don't get discouraged, my "instructor" at school couldn't even do a serviceable set of nails, it would take her three hours and they looked like some sort of mutated train wreck. I learned the basic (and by basic I mean stripped-down-to-the-crunchy-little-bones basic) concepts of gels and acrylics from videos in school; that's it. All of my real training in came from my amazing nail tech(who is still my go-to source for brain pickage), and from the other techs that I have worked with and observed. Most companies offer videos education for the basics, it's amazing how much you can learn from just being able to watch an educator use the product!
Don't give up, it gets so much better after you're out of school Smile
Hey...yes yes yes !!! Dont get upset about school. Basically all they are doing is teaching you how to pass your State Boards. Thats all they care about...
Then its up to you to really learn. When I first started out I had a wonderful mentor who was a CND educator. She was so nice and awesome. I would go watch her and actually another tech do nails all day.
Thats how I learned.

But within the last 5 years..I pretty much taught myself gels as well. I did however, go see Gina up in Rhode Island for a class..and it was fantastic! She makes it look soooo easy..Im tellin ya.
So, do watch videos and if you learn by watching..maybe do what I did and call around to salons that you know are good..and ask. All they can say is "no". And if the tech is confident in her skills...she should not be threatened by that at all...actually she should be flattered...
so..try it... and practice practice practice !!!!!!
Do your friends, and family...and do offer a set of nails really cheap and tell them that you are still learning. Alot of ppl will do that for a discounted set of nails...and its a win-win situation. They get a discount..and you get the practice...and then that way...they can come back for fills and you can learn what to do..and what not to do and how your nails hold up !!!

Good luck !! Smile

BornToBling

As everyone has said, it's pretty similar at all schools.

I left my school after 3 months becuase I felt I wasn't learning anything. The teacher would come and sit down, show us a demo, ask us to do a step, we would do it and when it was time to show her what we did, she was no where to be found. And she is part owner of the school and the directors daughter!! We would some times be waiting half an hour or more to show her something and would't get to finish. When demo's came around no one wanted to be her model, she was so rough and hard on our hands and when we would pull away because she would burn us with the drill she would say to stop being a wimp and let her finish the demo.

I was very fortunate to have a mentor that does inexpensive classes outside of school, I credit HER as being my teacher and mentor and SHE taught me everything I know. Even better, she lives in my little town and I can call her and text her whenever I have a problem, she knows how to fix it. She is an educator and sales rep for Akzentz to so its nice to have someone on the inside to let me know whats coming up soon!

The only things I learned at this school was art, which i for sure could have figured out on my own... What helped me after learning my basics was demo videos (lots of them) and a lot of practice, anyone that would let me touch their nails I was on top of, and practice is the best thing you can do!!
Wow. Thank you for all the replies. I've been offline for a while juggling family and practising.

I did not know Light Elegance were in Australia now. I checked out their website and it's brand new. (Downloads and some links don't work either). And so new that my calls have not been returned *lol* But I'll try again in the New Year. I am very familiar with McConnell labs as it's where I defer to for my technical information. But *gasp!* the price difference between the US and Australia is astronomical! For example, a gel kit is US$295/AUD$440.95 and the Intro/Student Kit is US$130/AUD$250. Brushes and other accessories are double (almost 100% markup!) As the US dollar is on par with the Aussie dollar, how is such a difference justified? Confusedhock:

Anyway, I ended up leaving the course, demanding a refund and eventually got one. The director contacted me, we had a chat, I put my concerns in writing and then learned later that other people complained about the teacher we had. There were a lot of things she was doing that were just lazy and plain wrong.

Realising that avenues for training were closed (private trainers here cost an absolute motza to train with - $400 was the minimum for a "day" and a Young Nails trainer I received a quote from was charging $650 for five hours - I don't know about you but IMHO that's just wildly overpriced), I set up a nail corner at home with a desk, nail trainer and all my product and just started doing a few hours a day.

I haven't yet worked out how to watch videos offline but I've managed to locate quite a few of them and they have been a huge help.

I have decided that I am going to save hard and go to Orlando for that big nail show. You guys have just got it going on over there.

In the meantime, I am no longer concerned about formal training, just doing the best that I can and investing in decent equipment.

I know I'll get there.

Thanks again.
Wow, that is a huge price difference! I've heard about how much YN charges for a mentoring person, it was $500 for the day. I'm going to assume that included the cost of the air fare and transportation to where ever the person was that needed help.
OMG Toothypegs that sounds like the best plan...Will you take the family? i might think about doing that too. tha best way sometimes is just to keep practicing...
Quote:I've heard about how much YN charges for a mentoring person, it was $500 for the day. I'm going to assume that included the cost of the air fare and transportation to where ever the person was that needed help.

Er..no, you go to them. You supply your own brush and model and they supply the rest. And "the day" is not 8 hours and also includes a lunch break.

Honestly, it's a rort. And they get away with it because the market here isn't as competitive as it is in the States.
Pages: 1 2