BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Owning Your Own E-file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you think it is the responsibility of the salon to provide their technicians with an e-file to use while working?

We have some very reluctant technicians that feel no need to provide their own e-file since I have a (lesser quality emergency) spare here, for my own use if my own e-file goes down.

I am under the impression, as a hairstylist as well, that it is the technician that should provide her own e-file for working on clients. I equate it with a hairdresser providing her own working tools such as a quality pair of scissors, etc. Hairdressers never share scissors - it just isn't done unless in an emergency. Hairdressers would never even consider touching another technicians scissors without their expressed permission. I think of an e-file the same way - am I wrong?
I consider my e-file and my nail brushes my own personal property that I would not share with other techs. No one takes care of YOUR stuff like YOU do. An e-file is an investment.
Hi Jan!

This is a good question. I think it depends on how the business is set up. To me, an efile falls under equipment. So if you supply products and equipment than I would say you should provide the machine. But bits would be the techs responsibility like tools, brushes. When I was an employee, I had an efile provided to me (and actually I bought it from the owner when I left).

This would also make sure that you have consistency and everyone has the same quality of machine.

Either way, they definitely shouldn't be using yours without permission.

Happy New Year to you!
[quote='jb100680' pid='32646' dateline='1388595629']
Hi Jan!

This is a good question. I think it depends on how the business is set up. To me, an efile falls under equipment. So if you supply products and equipment than I would say you should provide the machine. But bits would be the techs responsibility like tools, brushes. When I was an employee, I had an efile provided to me (and actually I bought it from the owner when I left).

This would also make sure that you have consistency and everyone has the same quality of machine.

Either way, they definitely shouldn't be using yours without permission.

Thanks for your reply Jesse! I should have thought to email you...

It's always interesting to get another opinion. I have been supplying all of the bits for everyone to use as we autoclave everything. Everyone was also using my spare e-file. We have a vast assortment of bits, including ones for pedicuring, that I replace every few months when they break or wear out. I was hoping all of the techs would eventually buy an e-file that they were comfortable using. I am not sure that they would necessarily also want to invest in the assortment of bits that we go through in a day, which I don't mind supplying so they are using effective quality bits during their services. I guess we need to have a meeting to discuss it...