BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: all of a sudden, gel is separating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I first started learning gel - I had a lot of free edge lifting on myself - my practice client & subsequent gel polish clients have not had any issue. My nails have typically been troublesome - thin & flimsy. The past 5 months, my nails have been great - until suddenly last week. Gel was staying on, gel polish was wearing awesome. Then the last time I filed my color off to make a change- I always add 1 new layer of hard gel - within 2 days I have lifting/chipping at free edge, several nails. Filed it down again - tried CND Brisa Light (which has been great on my nails in the past) - same thing - within 2 days I had free edge separation on 3 or 4 nails ...to where it would peel right off. So I removed it. Laid down 3 layers of hard gel; this time starting with Something Wonderful first. (not wearing any color right now - just the 'clear' hard gel) Here I am 2 days later with chipping and separation again ...WHT?? I am not doing anything different. Just baffled ...thoughts? TYVM! Very frustrated UndecidedHuh
Interesting. I tend to get a lot of separation at the free edge as well because my nails curve quite a bit. I've had great luck with Something Wonderful. Maybe your bulbs need changing?

Have you tried Akzentz? I started using it a couple months ago and LOVE it. No separation at all and very minimal lifting. ( I tend to lift at the cuticle are when my nails are too long.)
Amy Becker of Masterworks gel uses a technique where she" bevels" the free edge of gel to nail to eliminate FE lift & make the tell tail gel nail look more natural. She has YouTube videos- check them out - she recently mentioned new videos coming out shortly :-)
Good luck
Thanks ctonramk - I'll look that vid up - YouTube is great!

Scotchtape:I was wondering if it could possibly be my bulbs ...but the gel is shiny when finished - my bulbs have I'm guessing around 250 hours on them ...I have no counter on my lamp so just a good guess - I just did a search & read a post on how to check them so will do that today ( they are Philips bulbs). I have Akzentz, Nailite Stylus, Brisa Light, and numerous others I play with but those 3 are my favorites - again, this is all of a sudden (aside from when I was learning) TY for the ideas!
Bulbs in the CND UV lamp are changed at 100 hours, so if your bulbs have 250 hours I'm pretty sure they are overdue to be changed (regardless of the type of UV lamp). I would suggest you do that first and then see if there's an improvement.
TY! I really don't know if I have that many hours - but def well over 100 - I'll try new bulbs pronto! ...and I didn't know how many hours bulbs typically got, so thanks for that info!
...okay, I was calculating the hours on my lamp to the best of my recollection & boy was I off ...I don't know what I was thinking before ( I must have been thinking of the manicures them selves as an hour each Blush) - anyway. I got this lamp in 2010, used it for probably 10 hours - put it away and did not use it again until March of this year. I have done approx. 5 - 6 manicures a week ...or approx. 40 - 42 hours since late March ...giving me approx. 52 hours on my bulbs ...but, like I said, got the lamp in 2010, so maybe bulbs 'get old' - IDK .

Got bulbs from Sally Beauty this morning but they would not work in my lamp even though they fit - A.S.P. brand, says 'works with most lamps' ...the sales clerk said most of them come back. Guess I'll have to order bulbs. Nailite seems to be the source. My lamp came with Philips bulbs.
Another way to tell if your bulbs need changing is just by looking at them. If you see any discoloration, it's time.
CND bulbs are changed at 100 hours?? Are they a different type than the ones for Young Nails UV light? Just curious, because I change mine at 400 hours. At $60 per light for 4 bulbs, I can't imagine the cost of switching them at 100 hours!!

It sounds like your bulbs should be fine. Is it possible that since you use multiple product lines that they just aren't playing well together? I haven't had problems mixing up lines with gel polish (always Mani-Q base, Mani-Q/Cuccio/or Gelish color, alway Cuccio top coat), but I've never mixed systems for my hard gels. It seems like you've tried everything, I hope you can figure it out!
(10-01-2013, 02:54 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]CND bulbs are changed at 100 hours?? Are they a different type than the ones for Young Nails UV light? Just curious, because I change mine at 400 hours. At $60 per light for 4 bulbs, I can't imagine the cost of switching them at 100 hours!!

Yes, CND UV lamps have a countdown timer on them. They shut off at 100 hours. It's a good idea to take the bulbs out and flip them over at 50 hours. The replacement bulbs cost less than $60 for four.
I just got a LED/CCFL combo light so far I'm liking it. Bulbs get expensive!
(10-01-2013, 02:54 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]...It sounds like your bulbs should be fine. Is it possible that since you use multiple product lines that they just aren't playing well together? I haven't had problems mixing up lines with gel polish (always Mani-Q base, Mani-Q/Cuccio/or Gelish color, alway Cuccio top coat), but I've never mixed systems for my hard gels. It seems like you've tried everything, I hope you can figure it out!

I do use multiple lines, but I don't for example, put a layer of Stylus, then a layer of Akzentz ... I have been wearing Stylus under my Cuccio - my nails need the extra support of the hard gel. I managed to find time to redo them today ...I hadn't put any color on when the chipping/lifting started (last week), I was waiting for my new Cuccio colors so just wore them plain - it was just Stylus or Brisa Light(as described above) by itself when the chipping/lifting started. I did put Cuccio on today and gave my hard gel an extra minute per layer. They feel good - we'll see how they do this time!
I may invest in an LED lamp soon though ...
(10-01-2013, 06:57 PM)scratchmyback Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2013, 02:54 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]CND bulbs are changed at 100 hours?? Are they a different type than the ones for Young Nails UV light? Just curious, because I change mine at 400 hours. At $60 per light for 4 bulbs, I can't imagine the cost of switching them at 100 hours!!

Yes, CND UV lamps have a countdown timer on them. They shut off at 100 hours. It's a good idea to take the bulbs out and flip them over at 50 hours. The replacement bulbs cost less than $60 for four.

It would have to be a LOT less, like $15 for four lights to make them cost equivalent to using the YN light (or other similar brand)! Makes me wonder if people using the CND products and lamps have done true service cost calculations and price their services high enough to make a decent wage.
(10-01-2013, 07:31 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2013, 06:57 PM)scratchmyback Wrote: [ -> ]

It would have to be a LOT less, like $15 for four lights to make them cost equivalent to using the YN light (or other similar brand)! Makes me wonder if people using the CND products and lamps have done true service cost calculations and price their services high enough to make a decent wage.

Did you have a follow-up question regarding the CND UV lamp? The bulbs are less than $60 for 4. I don't live in the US so I can't tell you exactly how much they are, my pricing is in $Canadian. US pricing is usually less. Pros who register at cnd.com can access cost-per-service information.