BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: base coat / gel polish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question - it was suggested to me to help with problem clients & chipping of gel polish to apply 2 coats of gel polish BASE coat - WIPE tacky layer & lightly buff smooth / take shine off & then apply color coat, etc.....

Anyone do this before??
I feel like gel sticks to sticky gel better than buffed gel. I've never tried it.
I've found that instead of wiping if I blot the surface with the sponge wipe it leaves the base coat more like Velcro. I just press the wipe onto the surface and pull it straight up. It makes a big difference.
That's interesting- thanks
from which company you do that?
I can't imagine why buffing after the base coat would help with chipping at all? Any time I have to wipe the tacky layer off of any layer (art mishap or changing mind on color), I use the protein bond again to make the layer sticky...

I do use two layers of base coat, which does make the nails stronger and less prone to chipping. Another thing I do is always use Cuccio's Colour Veneer top coat, regardless of what color I've used. When I first tried it out last Fall, I suddenly didn't have anyone coming back with chipping! Now my clients wear their nails as long as they like. I recently had mine about 3/8" past the end of my fingers, wore them for WAY longer than I should have (7-8 weeks!) and never had any chipping and they were still shiny at the end - I should have taken a picture. For longer nails I just use three layers of base coat.
Candice,

I do love the shine of Cuccio's top coat. However, I find it wears a lot at the tips, much more than Mani-Q does. Perhaps it's the length I wear my nails but I was wondering if you've noticed the same.

(09-29-2013, 03:39 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]I can't imagine why buffing after the base coat would help with chipping at all? Any time I have to wipe the tacky layer off of any layer (art mishap or changing mind on color), I use the protein bond again to make the layer sticky...

I do use two layers of base coat, which does make the nails stronger and less prone to chipping. Another thing I do is always use Cuccio's Colour Veneer top coat, regardless of what color I've used. When I first tried it out last Fall, I suddenly didn't have anyone coming back with chipping! Now my clients wear their nails as long as they like. I recently had mine about 3/8" past the end of my fingers, wore them for WAY longer than I should have (7-8 weeks!) and never had any chipping and they were still shiny at the end - I should have taken a picture. For longer nails I just use three layers of base coat.