BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Cuccio gel peeling and lifting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We are having some issues in the salon with Cuccio Veneer peeling and lifting. We've tried uv, LED, a variety of top and bottom coats and just aren't having good luck with it. My techs, who are all new to it, are not impressed and I am kind of floored after seeing so many raves for it on this board.

i have had it on for about 3 days myself and was surprised to find a little lifting already. I picked an edge and it peeled off in one big sheet - didn't even damage the nail at all; not that i wanted it to, but typically when I pick off gel I do at least some damage. We've had a few techs wear it and had it strip off within less than a day!

I'd love any tips or tricks or some thoughts on what we might want to try tweaking! If you use it do you use the Cuccio base/top or something else? any curing tricks?
This is so strange that several people are having trouble with this product! My only guess is that maybe they had a manufacturing glitch?

I've had 36 of their colors for a while now - never any trouble with any colors. I generally use Mani-Q base coat (because I bought several when they were on sale), but I have also used a bottle of Cuccio's base coat and it worked as well as the Mani-Q. I use the Cuccio top coat on every gel polish service, regardless of which brand of color I use.

I did just buy 22 new Cuccio colors, and I will be doing the sample tips for them today, so I'll see how they cure. I used a new top coat yesterday and it did seem a little goopy, but appeared to cure just fine. Time will tell, as I will be doing four people with gel polish today. As I said, no problems ever for me, but I will be watching the new products to see if there are any problems. If I suddenly have trouble then that will be a good clue that it's the product!

I do use PB from Young Nails during prep on the whole nail, plus two layers of base coat for strength and a buffer zone for filing off. I don't think those steps would make a difference though, for product staying on. Well, maybe the PB would make a difference. Smile
I have absolutely no problem either - ever ...very strange
Used 4 colors today so far from the new batch - zero problems, we'll see how they hold up.
i had this problem in the beginning as well and I thought i was just me! I came on here lurking for advice and everyone else had rave reviews, so I went back to my prep method. Now i can't get it off lol!
My advice is to ensure the nail is well primed, use a soft zebra or white file like 180 grit and etch the nail and dehydrate with step 1, put step 2 bonder and give it a good minute before applying base coat, also make sure to clean around the sides well cause any little bit will cause lifting. Just keep trying and it'll work out, im promise
I applied new colors to 6 people on the 25th - one being myself! My nails are pretty long (about 3/8" past the end of my fingers), and they are still perfect so I think everything cured fine. I haven't heard from any clients, so I'm guessing they are not having trouble - if they come back with any I will come back and report it here.

This is kind of a crazy idea, but I actually experienced this... How is your power supply? Are you in a building with up to date wiring? Is your lamp on an overloaded power strip? When I was a booth renter, I was working in a very old building. I didn't even know that my UV lights weren't getting enough power until I moved into my new salon space with up to date wiring. Suddenly... nails were curing faster, harder and shinier! The amount of power that gets to our equipment really does make a difference.
I've been using Cuccio colors for a while now with no problems. I haven't ordered any new ones, so I'm watching this thread pretty close. I'm like Candice, I use Cuccio's sealer on ALL my sog's. It stays the shiniest for the longest. I hadn't thought about the wiring issue, thanks for that head's up, Candice.
I've had the same problem with it on acrylics. I wasn't using a base coat and a week later it was peeling off. My prep was fine. After I started using the base coat I haven't had any problems.
We are still playing with it - my techs are afraid to use it on clients at this point, though. I actually just got an email from someone saying her gel is lifting, but I'm not sure which brand of polish we used on her - and it has been 10 days since her mani, too (she says it normally lasts longer...sigh...).

I will do the full appliation on myself today and see how it wears - we have the entire 5-step line, so i'll know for sure.
I do have suspicions it might be the Cuccio lights we purchased, so I'll do one hand with the OPI LED light and one hand with the Cuccio light and compare.
Such a shame to be worried about using products - money sitting on a shelf collecting dust! You might be on to something with the lights - weren't they suspiciously low priced? I remember wondering if the quality was there on them, when I think I saw them selling for $60 or so... too good to be true? Also, I've always just used my Young Nails UV light, but I do sometimes wonder when people are having trouble with gel staying on if it's a compatibility issue with products and lights.
(10-01-2013, 02:59 PM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]Such a shame to be worried about using products - money sitting on a shelf collecting dust! You might be on to something with the lights - weren't they suspiciously low priced? I remember wondering if the quality was there on them, when I think I saw them selling for $60 or so... too good to be true? Also, I've always just used my Young Nails UV light, but I do sometimes wonder when people are having trouble with gel staying on if it's a compatibility issue with products and lights.

They are actually the Cuccio UV/LED combo lights. The bulbs get loose and actually fall out - I've already broken two of them. I am just wondering if we are curing with some of the bulbs not fully plugged in and that is what the issue is.
It sounds like you're on to something... Maybe invest in one good light to try out, then you could use all of
Cuccio's fabulous colors. Hopefully other people who have had trouble with the Cuccio gp's will chime in about their lights and whether that might be the problem!
I have OPI LED light and have no issues with the sample kit I was sent of Cuccio. Investing in some of the colors this week!
i may highjack the original post but someone mentioned that used a lot of different combos with base coats and tops.could you share what combo works best for you?i currently use cnd shellac base and top with various gel polish brands but on some clients i still have issues.i really like that you don't have to buff the nail before applying the base with shellac system and the top as well so iam searching for something similar but iam not aware of a line that carries something like that.i would be pleased if you could share your experience.
Originally we had issues with lifting because our lights were not curing correctly. Once we moved to the OPI LED lights we stopped having those issues and, ironically, then dealt with the issue of not being able to remove it!

We have stopped using the Fuze coat for most clients and that has helped somewhat. We do still find removal of Cuccio, even without Fuze, is more difficult than GelColor or Shellac and we're still experimenting with using other top and bottom coats but still don't feel like we have a perfect combo. I have about 45 bottles of this gel polish, so we have to make it work somehow!
First i thought only Opi Gelcolor lift so bad on acrylic nails , and now Cuccio gel lift worst. We never have this problem with Gelish brand. Cuccio has perfect black gel that we like, but if acrylic client request that black , i am totally nervous when doing it.
(03-03-2014, 04:44 AM)hoatondan Wrote: [ -> ]First i thought only Opi Gelcolor lift so bad on acrylic nails , and now Cuccio gel lift worst. We never have this problem with Gelish brand. Cuccio has perfect black gel that we like, but if acrylic client request that black , i am totally nervous when doing it.
I solved the problem of gel polish peeling off acrylics ,by making sure I leave them rough enough on the ends ,and by using gel polish base coat before applying color. OPI is one that has to have a base coat ,or it peels right off. I have found some other brands do this ,but have not had it happen with Gelish. Some of the excellent techs on here made that as a suggestion in order to solve this prob. I have never used Cuccio,however, so I cannot comment on that. I use PB on all my gel polish services as part of my prep ,like CandaceAE....
Thank you for sharing this.
I have absolutely no issues with Cuccio Veneer lifting.... it's the removal part that is difficult for me. So I just Shellac /CND Brisa lite base coat and the Veneer color and top coat. AMAZING. stays on forever and comes off so much easier than when I used Cuccio base. I do, however, use Cuccio base on my hairstylists since nothing stays on their nails.
Not to hijack the thread ,but out of all the brands of gel polish ,do any of you have a suggestion as the closest match to OPI's Chicago Champagne Toast ? As far as I can tell ,they don't make it in Gelcolor yet...
Can anyone tell me how they apply the Cuccio nail polish step by step only when I apply mine for manicures it is very hard to apply, it's very thick and gloopy. I don't have any problems like this with other gel brand polishes.
Thank you
Susan
Truly scrumptious salons