BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: How do I find a Nail Tech position for Saturday only?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be working full-time during the week and attend school in the evening for a bit. I would like to get a Nail Tech position for Saturday only at this time. I am looking to do natural nails. I tried one place that may have had high traffic, but they want someone who does acrylics. I still need to perfect acrylic nails. I e-mailed a massage and spa that only does manicures for some reason, but it doesn't seem to be popular. They do haircuts and facials. I e-mailed them if they would be interested in adding a Nail Technician to do natural manicures and pedicures. I haven't heard from them yet. Should I go in person?

I am really nervous because I am only asking for Saturday at this point, and I am limited to only natural nails at this point. What do you suggest I do? What places do I target?

Thank you for your advice.
I'd hire you in Austin Smile

Other than that, I have no advice. We are really short on nail techs in this market, everyone is hiring....

I think you should just blast out email and phone call inquiries for places in your preferred radius. You'll never know until you ask. You'll also not know how a place is until you go in there and scope it out and speak with someone, so I wouldn't rule out EVERY place (just the yucky ones!) It might not look like much from the outside and actually turn out to be a really sweet shop!
Place an ad on Craiglist
I was lucky and met a salon owner at the PBA event on Capitol Hill in May. (I live in the DC area) She was looking for someone on Saturdays. I work for an IT firm during the week, and was looking for a Saturday gig. She only wants to offer natural nail services and gel polish, but is open to offering hard gel services. I don't want to limit myself and want be a well-rounded tech, so if she gets roper ventilation installed, I may be able to offer acrylic services. I'm a licensed Cosmo, so I also asked if I could offer wax services, which she is open to. I try to take advantage of my license as much as possible.

Like Jamie said, place an ad on CL and talk to salon owners in salons you may want to work at. Check them out first to see what their clientele is like on a Saturday to get a feel for what a typical (or not so typical) day may be like. I hope it all works out for you. Best of luck to you!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
Me and a couple of classmates were in the same boat. We found it was better to just start building a clientele out of your house since its just you, just Saturdays, just natural nails. Start out with 5 people, give them a referral rate/bonus etc. and next thing you know you have 20 clients, 25 and so on.
That's a great idea Tashawna!!
Thanks for all of your advices. They are all good and makes it seem possible. I think doing business from home is a violation if proper procedure is not met. I think there are a few Nail Techs who do it anyway, but I wouldn't want to do that.