BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: To discount or not to discount?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nailpro is looking for your feedback for a future article that will explore the debate on discounting (coupons, Groupon, etc.). Do you think coupons are a great way to attract new customers, or do you refuse to discount because you think it devalues your services? What has shaped your opinion on this? We want to hear from both sides! Please email me with your thoughts at [email protected] by end of day Friday, June 28. Don't forget to include your full name, title, company name and city/state so I can quote you. A head shot is also welcome in case we can include a pic of you! Thanks!
Tracy Morin
Contributing writer, Nailpro
Missed your end date, but, my experience, "discount" clients are a different mindset from clients who are looking for a permanent manicurist whose quality, service and personality are a good match to their needs. I also dislike the idea that long term clients pay more than new clients, that the clients who have loyalty and appreciation of services do not receive a discount for appreciation and instead the discount is more commonly give to the new (often one time client). My experience, perhaps a quality of neighborhood or salon, is that the "discount" client is generally shopping price rather than the qualities of service that are also essential, and in my opinion, more important, sanitation, experience and knowledge, skill, creativity, quality of materials, respect for appointments booked..... etc.....
I have worked in several salons and in earlier days was agreeable to support "discount" and other promotional programs. In spite of the claims made, I have not yet seen one work effectively (not only for me in my more critical (analytical) frame of mind (I can see all the ways the promotion can go wrong, how "negative" of me to notice ;-) ) but for those who willingly and believably participated) and I have seen several promotional and discount formats.
Most often the discount shopper will go where the discount is. The most effective source of new clients is personal referral (where "like" refers to "like") and walk ins, which always amazes me, must be universal energy in action, when a client walks in and really needs my experience or has shared hobbies and compatible opinions about how services and scheduling should happen.
Not really interested in being "quoted", but noticed no one responded, You may use the information without credit if helpful.
Some day you could do an article on "discount" scams, like package deals where buyers paid as low as $5 for $200.00 worth of services (hair, nails, facials), when the company found they could not recoup the cost of printing the promotions, and the cost to the independent contractors who did not have the courage to tell the salon owner they would no longer participate. Instead of selling to local professionals (as proposed) the low rent representatives of this company sold to college and high school students who did not keep appointments (four no-shows cancel out any possible benefit), underage students wanting services parents might not approve of and inability to pay the $5.00 fee they were supposed to pay and no tips.... "I don't have the money with me ($5.00) can I bring it tomorrow?"
Have seen this scam worked at several salons in Southern California.

When someone says "discount" my hair curls... more that it already is.
Current salon ran and add in the local discounter, big promises of response.... annoyed with me for not wanting to pool money, they raised their prices to cover for the discount, the response was low, the actual number who arrived for appointments lower (often wanted other services even cheaper), the number of regular clients who wanted the "new" client discount high.... the tangled explanations.... worth a reality show.