BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: I got inspected today....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
And it's no biggie, it's an annual thing, I have a home-based business so I always know when they're coming. My inspector and I always have a great conversation and she would come to me for services but they are not allowed to do that.

Anyway. We got to talking about Shellac. She said she wanted to get it done where she goes, but she said "the removal is so harsh!". I looked at her and asked her to explain that. She said when she does inspections, she overhears the techs explaining to their clients how to remove the product at home. She says they tell the client to soak in the acetone/foil method, then use a pusher to scrape it off the nail.

So then I had to explain what Shellac is, that it is not a verb, it's a trademarked brand from CND, and that it in no way is removed in the manner she described. I told her it dissolves off the nail in a very short period of time if it is the genuine product, and it does not need to be scraped off. I also told her there are counterfeit products out there, and there are also other gel polishes on the market that are similar to Shellac but they are not Shellac, and perhaps they are not as easily removed. I said that people are either not applying the product correctly (ie too thick) and they are too impatient to wait for it to dissolve, OR they are using something other than Shellac and calling it that. My gut tells me if clients are being told to scrape it off, they're not using Shellac on them. I was happy to educate her on all of this, showed her what a bottle of Shellac looks like, and now she knows what to look for.

Oh and I passed Wink

sobeit

Congrats on passing, again LOL.
When you described the removal process it sounds right to me, just the word scraping is being used instead of pushing. I use Shellac, Polish Pro, Eco so quick, and Gelish, I wrap in cotton and foil and after 10 min, I have to use my pusher tool sold to me as a gel polish removal tool, to push or actually pull downward to remove the released product, it looks like a scraping motion. Polish Pro releases so nicely ( it doesn't dissolve ) but it still needs to be taken off the nail with a pusher or scraper tool. I wonder if its just semantics?
I'm not sure if you use Shellac, but you can pull the cotton/foil right off the end of the finger with some pressure and a twisting motion, and the product slides right off the nail. I was specifically talking to her about that product. With Gelish or any of the others, I generally have to push gently with the pusher, you are right. But not with Shellac.
Laura,

Congrats on passing Big Grin

What lamp do you use with the shellac?

sobeit

I have used all the ones I mentioned above, and polish pro by far out removes shellac, Gelish and Eco. It really does release from the nail plate, it looks like an upside down curled up spider, vs shellac that looks bubbly and melty. But I still have to make a scraping motion to get them both off the nail plate. I have never experience just wiping shellac off the nail with the wrap or a paper towel. After reviewing some tutorials as well, I have not seen it removed that way.
If you go to the CND website they show the removal process as I've described it in one of their videos.

Laura, I don't use the cotton/foil method, but after they have soaked and Shellac has released from the nail I do use an organgewood stick and LIGHTLY scrape off the product from the nail (no pressure needed). You can also wait a little bit and after it dries a little you can lightly buff it off. I can see where the twisting with the cotton would take it off.

But in the end, it shouldn't be a harsh removal and their nails should be strong and healthy. My clients nails are in great shape and even some their nails are stronger and longer than before Shellac. More than likely the Nail Factories are using their dremmels for removal.

I find it interesting, though, that the inspector didn't know specifics about a product used in salons. I would think they should know. But I guess that is my assumption.

sobeit

This is by no means meant to be me arguing. I did find and paste Fingernailfixers shellac removal tutorial. She has so many videos she created being a CND educator. Her nails look exactly like my shellac nails do after soaking, and there is product left on all the nails that must be removed with a pusher. She calls it sliding the product off, I call it pushing, and I think thats why I mentioned semantics for the term scraping. To me this motion is scraping. There doesn't in my mind have to be force used when we scrape or slide or push.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKq4MWgUH_U
I think the problem is just using the word push and scrap interchangably. I feel this happens a lot. When you're talking to someone who is in a profession where those two words mean two different things this could happen.
I do think she was referring to the proper removal method however when someone told her to "scrap" she probably had visions of scratchy rigid aftermath.
I've used Shellac and yes, I soaked for like 10 minutes and it pushed right off with an orange stick. Did it at home before I went to the salon.
Direct from the CND website on the video for French Shellac and Removal, as just one example.....
I quote " Apply pressure on the wrap with your thumb and massage it to loosen the coating on the nail, twist and pull the wrap from the nail. SLIDE off any remaining product with an orange wood stick"

I think it does boil down to just the different words that people are using, as a non pro, the inspector might use words that she thinks are harsh but we know to be other wise.
We know it as "slide off" but really if you think about it, it could also be said as "gently scrape off with orange wood stick" and we wouldn't all of a sudden start using brute force to scrape the nail, we all know it to be a very gentle scrape/slide etc as the ultimate goal is to cause no damage to the natural nail on any level.

In all of Holly's videos as well, she uses a OWS to slide/scrape off the remaining product. I don't see how anybody would be able to totally remove all product correctly without using this method to some degree.
Yes on the rare occasion you get a nail where it all comes off in one go but that's rare.
Using a buffer to remove remaining product from the nail is (I thought) a no no from CND instructions but I could be wrong. But I thought that was one of the biggest selling points of Shellac, that there is no need to put a file/buffer near the nail apart from to shape the F/E.

I disagree if any body is using a steel cuticle pusher with the sharp blade style edge and using a heavy handed scraping motion to remove the product but there are tools out there with a soft rounded edge that can be used and that do no damage to the nail.
If the salon that your inspector is talking about does do this with a sharp cuticle pusher, then yes this is wrong but I think maybe she might have overheard something that she has put her own spin on if they are indeed using legit Shellac.
There are some clients that like to remove the product themselves (I have 2 of them myself and I give them a OWS to ensure no damage is done to the nail and I show them how to do it as well) and you do have to explain it to them/show them and maybe the tech who was explaining it the day the inspector was in there, just didn't use the right words and has put fear into the poor inspector.

It's great that you educated her on the real Shellac and fakes etc, if we all keep this up then eventually the word will get out.

Wooshka, you can LIGHTLY buff off the remaining Shellac w/o even touching the nail. It is really no different then lightly/gently scraping the product or using an e-file to remove the product w/o damaging the nail. Just have to be careful in how you are doing it.
Oh yes I know you can and some do do this, I was saying that CND themselves do not promote this.
They seem to promote the opposite is all I am saying.
I do not mean to cause any arguments or anything like that.

I use Polish Pro and unlike CND, NSI say it's ok to use their endurance buffer on the natural nail to prep the nail and it has been suggested to use it to remove stubborn product that will not soak off, so each to their own.
I personally don't do either, I find using my curette to remove cuticle, cuticle remover if I have to use it and a good cleanse, is enough and my PP stays on perfectly fine on my clients and it soaks off like a dream and I have never had any left overs to worry about that would need a buff.
It's a different story though when it comes to using the Balance Gel that is a buff off gel, I do use the buffer near the natural nail and I totally agree, that if done right, you can do this without causing any damage.

As Greg from YN says "it's not the tools that do the damage, it's the fools" and he is very right when he says this I reckon.
Thanks everyone for your replies! Sobeit yes it is probably semantics, but this inspector and I battled over semantics last year (clean vs sanitize, she was all over me because I said I sanitize my implements) so I know not to go there with her over things like that anymore.

I think I know her fairly well. She is responsible for inspecting half the salons in my region, so she's been in quite a lot of them. She has probably seen and overheard many discussions in salons over the past year about Shellac. So for her to say that to me, I'm guessing, she's overheard the removal process being discussed more than once. And possibly even observed it during the course of her inspections.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to go off on this tangent. My point was to make sure she understood that many places use something other than Shellac, but call it that, and we all know that's not a new thing in our world.

As far as my removal process, I do it like the video and it works like that every time.

Wooshka - It's all good. There was no argument, just a discussion. I didn't want newbies to the industry to think you can't buff just the product off the nail. I am getting a sample kit of NSI gel polish. I may want to ask you some questions about it if I have problems with it. Wish me luck!! :wink:
All's goodSmile

Yer sure, you can ask me anything you want.
If you want to email me, you are more than welcome to.

[email protected]

Thank you. Hopefully I won't need to but I'll keep your E-mail handy just in case.
Congrats Laura on passing! I *wish* we had annual inspections here in MD (I know you're in Canada)! Our State Board is poorly run and managed, and grossly understaffed....
Lovelylokz :
> Congrats Laura on passing! I *wish* we had annual inspections here in MD (I know you're in Canada)! Our State Board is poorly run and managed, and grossly understaffed....

Thanks Joy Smile I can only speak for my immediate area, but they do a pretty good job at keeping tabs on all the salons here. I'm sure there are other areas of the country that don't see inspectors either for the same reasons you mentioned.