BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: YN Safety Bit Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After reading about it on here and watching the youtube video, I decided to purchase the Young Nails Safety bit. I used it for the first time today and I found that it actually took me longer than if I had just used my usual foil/cotton method Undecided. I was so concerned with hitting the client's nail plate that I think I may have been overly cautious. For those of you who use this bit, 1) did you also feel this way when you first got it and 2) how do you REALLY know once you've reached the base coat? I do understand that you should stop filing after the color is removed however how can you really be sure that the base layer is still present and that you didn't go too deep? I really do want to do it this way because it does seem like it could be a time saver so any feedback you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think it's going to take you longer until you get used to it. I don't use this technique, but if I were going to, I think I would use the bit to remove most, not all the color, then switch to a sponge buffer to take care of the rest.

Love my safety bit for taking gel polish off acrylics and hard gel though.
It is (and should be!) slower while you are getting a feel for it, but once you are comfortable it will be very quick! I use two layers of base coat for added strength, but also because it gives a great buffer zone for getting the color off without going through the base. I actually use the x-cut bit because I was doing this method prior to the safety bit coming out, and I tend to leave a tiny border of color around the curved edge where the new growth is and then I switch to my sanding band to remove any remaining color and do the prep on the growth area.

Once you get used to it you will really be able to recognize when you've left base coat on and when you've removed it all. The texture and appearance between the two is quite different once you know what you're looking for. Do you use any kind of vacuum for dust? I use the Salon Pure Air, which pulls the dust away so that not much is left on the nail plate. If you're not using a vacuum of some sort and the dust is covering the fingernail that could make it harder to see, and would slow you down if you have to continually be brushing it off to check your work.

One thing you might try is doing a somewhat conservative removal of the color, then do a quick cleanse of the nails and look at them. You'll be able to see where the base coat is and how close you are to going through it, then you can go back and do more removal. Doing this while you're learning the process will slow you down just a bit, but in the long run it will pay off and be super quick.