BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: uv & led lights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a UV tunnel lamp now & I am happy with it. but I'm thinking of getting a led light. which 1 is the best? And is the combo UV/ led lights good? Which 1 is the best combo light?

I have UV & led gel polishes & I usually always use a UV gel on gel clients. I don't have a lot of table or storage space either. So I'm kinda leaning towards a combo light.

Any info would be great. And I know there was a post on this , I just could not find it.

Thanks. :-)
I think there's been lots of discussions on LED & UV lamps ...I know I started one not too long ago - just go to the search feature & enter 'LED or UV lamp', they should be easy to find ...I don't have LED yet, still thinking about it. I have spent so much in the past couple months reopening my salon after a leave of absence ...I gotta wait a while I think Sad
...anyway - hth!
I have four UV lights, and only need three, so I'm waiting until they die before switching. With two lights on my manicure table I'm never really waiting for the light anyway!
The only reason I would switch, is having to replace the lights all the time, but like CandiceAE ,I have one on either side of my table and I don't have to wait. The CND lamps I have also allow me to use uv cured topcoat on my clients who wear regular polish still. Lol, and there are not many of those left ! Smile Also, I don't like working with a light in the middle of my table, and I can't afford an Led light for both sides of my table, plus I sm not sure they would fit...
I often talk with Jim McConnell (chemist at Light Elegance) about LED technology, Here is his public response that they shared on the LE FB page:
From the Chemist's Corner ::

"I will let you know when you can expect to see an LED light once we have an idea of when they will be available. This is important information for you to know:

-LED lights are the market are proving to be unreliable
-LED lights on the market currently do not cure all gels – an they only last roughly 2 years
-LED lamps at the proper UV wavelength are VERY expensive at this time BUT we are trying our best to find the best UV LED at the most affordable cost

We have no idea of the timing of such items but we do not want to release an LED light that will have the same problems as the visible spectrum LED lights that the industry currently uses.

I would advise not buying any LED light at this time for the reasons above. If you purchase one, we cannot guarantee it or the performance of any gel cured in that LED light. The US market is seeing a resurgence in the use of UV lights like our Easy Cure Light. I have hired an engineering firm to design the electronics of the light and when we feel that LEDs are ready for use in the beauty industry, we will surely let you know."

- Jim McConnell
Thanks for all the advice. I have 1 UV lamp & I swift h it from side to side on my table. My clients don't care & are just used to it. I have thought if getting a 2nd lamp but my table is not big enough. I guess I'll just keep things the same for now.

Thanks Bunches!
Thanks, Darcy. I was debating, now I have decided. Might just get a second UV light!
From our experience, LED UV lamps do not cure gel polish with as good a gloss as either CFL UV lamps (the original) or the newer CCFL UV lamps.

As Jim mentioned, the problem is the different wavelengths of UV light required cure:
- gel polish : typically UV with 405 nm wavelength
- hard gels and other soak-off gels: 355nm - 370nm

Because LED UV is mostly focused to produced 405nm wavelength UV, it won't cure most traditional gels. I understand some LED UV lamps will cure some hard gels, but these are high power devices that also produce enough UV at other wavelengths to do this.

For these reasons we and other manufacturers now offer combined LED + CCFL UV lamps, so these will cure gel polishes fast using LED and hard gels in usual times (perhaps a bit faster) using the CCFL. Plus CCFL gives the gel polish a nice gloss.

So even if 365nm LED's appear at a cost effective price, you would still need a lamp containing 365nm and 405nm LED's if you want to cure both hard and polish gels (and again, the LED only won't give the gloss).

You might ask - why don't more manufacturers produce 405 nm LED compatible hard gels? The problem is the the florescent lights in the salons/offices also produce UV at this wavelength. So when working with a pot of gel with the cap off, it will begin to cure from this overhead light ;-(

I'm glad that was helpful to you Angela. I have 2 of LE's Easy Cure lights on each of the nail stations, it just makes life easier and they do not take up much space at all. Smile
I love my OPI LED Lamp I have 2 only because I was able to get one on sale for half price ... So now the other girl that helps me sometime doesn't have to wait on me . But I still use my uv lamps I have 2 on my desk for my hard gel , but I do have a desk that has double top . But I love my led lamps .. You just have to play with the gel polish and see what will work in the lamp ,but I have found that all the gel polish I have will cure in the OPI led lamp. We hate to use the uv for the gel polish now .
I'm with AZ Nailgal, I'll just keep my UV Lamp.
(05-15-2013, 06:55 AM)Darcy Wrote: [ -> ]I often talk with Jim McConnell (chemist at Light Elegance) about LED technology, Here is his public response that they shared on the LE FB page:
From the Chemist's Corner ::

"I will let you know when you can expect to see an LED light once we have an idea of when they will be available. This is important information for you to know:

-LED lights are the market are proving to be unreliable
-LED lights on the market currently do not cure all gels – an they only last roughly 2 years
-LED lamps at the proper UV wavelength are VERY expensive at this time BUT we are trying our best to find the best UV LED at the most affordable cost

We have no idea of the timing of such items but we do not want to release an LED light that will have the same problems as the visible spectrum LED lights that the industry currently uses.

I would advise not buying any LED light at this time for the reasons above. If you purchase one, we cannot guarantee it or the performance of any gel cured in that LED light. The US market is seeing a resurgence in the use of UV lights like our Easy Cure Light. I have hired an engineering firm to design the electronics of the light and when we feel that LEDs are ready for use in the beauty industry, we will surely let you know."

- Jim McConnell

WOW..... thank you... I have been wondering. the quick cure time would be nice, but I keep wondering.... is it really superior?
what matters to me most (after health and safety considerations) is the gel/light product... does-it-stay-down?
does it wear well?
and, what are the draw backs no one is discussing yet?

thank you. I don't have money to waste (as if I ever liked to)... I'll wait.

My old Light Elegance lamp, the clients and I love it ;-)
I think it is a classic now ;-)

When it becomes too old to repair I will send it to Jim for his museum.

I have both - I love the quick curing time!! I also love using the Artistic Rock Hard LED gel in the LED lamp - 60 seconds is awesome to work with!
I love my Artistic LED lamp!!! It's the best! It works with most of my gel polishes and fits nicely on my nail table.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
I think this discussion is focusing too much on speed as the reason for going LED. Although LED really does make a big difference in terms of getting nails done quickly (especially repairs and art), speed is not the only reason for going LED. Because you never have to buy bulbs, LED simply costs less than CFL UV in the long run; we calculated 18 months they equaled out. They also don't have the drop off in intensity that CFL UV lamps have as the bulbs age. LEDs are also more environmentally friendly because CFL UV bulbs contain mercury which can leach into the environment when discarded. And although ALL lamps are safe, LED does have even less UV exposure than CFL UV lamps. I've used a variety of LED lamps and although the consumer ones are pretty flimsy, the professional ones are very strong and reliable. Obviously, if your product isn't LED curable, it's an automatic no-go, but I don't know a single tech who's gone LED who would go back.
Quote: and when we feel that LEDs are ready for use in the beauty industry, we will surely let you know."

I'm sorry but I just think is such an arrogant statement to make. To state that the beauty industry is not ready for LED is, well, it's not only inaccurate but it's also behind the times. LED has been in use for quite a while and plenty of companies have invested in this technology and with good results.

I have been using an LED light for the past six months now (although I know techs who have been using them for much longer) and I have achieved soundly cured, wearable excellent gel and gel polishes.

I have found my light to not only be reliable, but sturdy and it's paid for itself three times over since purchasing.

I won't delve into the technology of LED only to say that the majority of LED lamps on the market do possess the required scope to be able to properly cure and that one must also look at the gel product itself for compatibility issues too such as the photo inhibitors that are present in that product too.

Although speed is a nice factor, the main reason for the switch for me was size and portability. The light I purchased was smaller than my clunky UV, has a great screen display, various timings and was all round a more versatile unit. Speed is a plus but to be honest, I find the versatility to be a bigger plus.

Various companies will of course try to persuade you to buy from them or, if they don't have the product you want, to refrain from buying until they do.

Don't believe the hype. Get out there and try one for yourself. I think you'll be impressed with what you find.