BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: thats not shellac!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had another one of those "faux shellac" clients come in today. I knew by the color it wasn't shellac. I told her this and she swore up and down it was. 10 minits in cotton pads and acetone and it was still there. She still swore it was "shellac". She said my bottles look differnt then her tecs Pots. She still swore it was shellac and she never gets nothing but the best. I gave her a shellac brocher, showed her all the FAQs and technical sheets. Then she finally believed me she did not have Shellac on her nails. She said she felt ripped off because all the ladies in her office had started getting this because of her. I told her how to find a CND certified tech on the webs site. To bad sh was and outta towner or she would have been a great client. Worst part was when I had to file the color off. It was like nails on a chalk board!
sounds like they used regular colored gel on her......
Speaking of Shellac mix ups. It's not only some nail tech's that are mis-leading clients.
I was at my local Sally's the other day. I was standing by their rack of Gelish "touch up" and light display. A woman came in and was talking to the manager of the store about it. Saying how it hurt her fingers when she used it ect.... The manager was telling her reasons it could be. Then says well it's Shellac, so if you've had it done it's the same. The woman said it felt like plastic on her fingers. The manager said well that's what it really is.
I turned and said infront of the woman and said. NO it's not Shellac, it's a different company and both of these products are a prof product and should be done by a nail tech only. Don't call it Shellac.
The manager walked away to help someone else. So I took that chance to talk with the woman and explained how gel polish is something nail techs are trained to do. We are trained how to use the lights ect... She was shocked they'd even sell it to the public.
She now wants to return the light and product. All I could tell her is to try contacting the company.

I've had the same thing happen. Women coming in swearing they were told it was Shellac, they asked for it by name, the techs shakes their head and says "yes, we do shellac". Can tell by looking at the color it isn't Shellac. And like the others trying to convince them it isn't Shellac is like pulling teeth. Crazzzzzzy!!
"Shellac" is the new "solar." Big Grin

sobeit

It is the new solar, techs get lazy after clients who have been misinformed about brands, so they jump on the wagon and call it shellac, so they don't have to argue.
I use Shellac, Polish Pro and Gelish, and I call it a UV Cured Polish add on. I never use the brand name. My coworkers however constantly say that their own clients should see me for a shellac manicure. I correct them every time. They just don't get it. It irks me. Plus I would rather not Call it Shellac since the places that use the fake junk, give it a bad name and get turned off from trying me, since they equate Shellac with the poor service they just had.
I don't really care what anyone calls anything. "A rose, by any other name, is still a rose." As long as I know what they are talking about then I am A-O.K. Big Grin

CND has a vested interest in having the name Shellac being equated with certain things. I, piggying-back on CND's advertisement budget, have a vested interest in understanding what the clients want; and what they want with Shellac is: (1) Extended wear time, (2) no e-file and (3) no nail damage. Give them that and they couldn't care less what the product is or how it does it.

With the launch of OPI's Gelcolor, let the battle commences. The sportsman in me aches to see which "name" will win; because at least ONE will win and become a common lexicon in the industry. The linguist in me is quite surprised at OPI's decision to name their product "Gelcolor." Wink

google. tweet. jello. shellac? Big Grin
Some techs are using "Shellac" as a generic name just as we once used Xerox to mean make a copy. Now most will say I'm going to Kinkos and we know it to mean make copies. Right or wrong it is what it is.

Don't get so hung up on the that, with so many SOGP available now, the difference is how you are going to remove it.

Shellac removal- no buffing the top coat - with others, expecially the LED you need to buff the top coat for faster removal.

Just remember to do that when you have a new client wearing something different than what you know to be a true Shellac colors.

I buff off the top coat on any new client who is wearing a SOGP, for faster removal.

Enhance