BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: New York State - Best Way to Report Unlicensed Tech/ Professional Complaints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone.

Does any one know the most effective way for a professional to report an unlicensed tech in New York State?

My salon unfortunately employs unlicensed techs and I would like to report anonymously. I could only find a consumer complaint form on the website, nothing for the professional side. I tried calling the number listed on the website but it says to go online.

Thanks!
Shirley, prepare to remove your self from this situation. It's difficult to work in a salon if you don't/can't respect your coworkers and owner. : (
Shirley.. I agree with Jaime, you need to move away from this salon.. I would say you need to just call Albany.. you can call from a friends phone who is unlicensed or I am sure in the city there must still be a pay phone somewhere. Unfortunately I dont belive the state will take an anonymous complaint seriously.. Some time back I did some research as to which states allow a professional to file a complaint about another professional and I belive that NY was on that list.
Phone: (518) 474-4429 but they show a specific number for the city: Phone: (212) 417-5747
I am in the process of looking for another salon but it's extremely difficult in the city to find a good salon to work in. My salon is one of few that care about employees i.e turning away clients that are 20 mins late for their appointment.

I did call that number but it was just automated messages. Maybe I called after business hours. I'll try again this week
I used to know an inspector, I think one of the girls I know is a exam proctor.. I will ask her..
If the salon cared for their customers they would not hire nn licensed techs. It goes both ways.
As a NYC'er I know how hard it is to find a good salon to work in. Also hard to find a salon that cares if you have a license.
Debbie, thank you and please keep me posted.

I completely agree that if the salon truly cared for its clients, they wouldn't hire unlicensed techs. Unfortunately, that is the norm in NYC. And the handful of salons that do care about licensing are natural nails. even fewer salons actually follow state board regulations. There are more nail salons than there are Starbucks and I can count on one hand the salons I am sure check licensing. I am still hoping to change things in this salon and I want the unlicensed techs to be the first to go.

Tashawna, have you had any luck finding a good place to work?
(04-28-2013, 08:24 PM)scotchtapeandrhinestones Wrote: [ -> ]Debbie, thank you and please keep me posted.

I completely agree that if the salon truly cared for its clients, they wouldn't hire unlicensed techs. Unfortunately, that is the norm in NYC. And the handful of salons that do care about licensing are natural nails. even fewer salons actually follow state board regulations. There are more nail salons than there are Starbucks and I can count on one hand the salons I am sure check licensing. I am still hoping to change things in this salon and I want the unlicensed techs to be the first to go.

Tashawna, have you had any luck finding a good place to work?

Not as of yet. Although I haven't been looking very hard. I get so turned off by these places. I have an interview at a Spa coming up. I'm hoping that the spas are doing better.
I had a FB friend post that she took a trip out here and was like "How do people make money out here??" I'm still trying to figure that out. lol
It's nice to know I'm not the only one! I have a few friends that make good money but they do amazing art or they are celebrity nail techs.

Sigh, I've worked at more salons than I'd like to admit and every single one is either unsanitary or hires unlicensed techs. I've never worked in a spa so I'm not sure what that's like. I'm trying to find a good place that offers acrylic, gels, and nail art but I'm not holding my breath.
How frustrating! Why is that quality licensees and honest salon owners can't find each other?
And Why the Hell are these places still open??? I worked hard to get my license and cherish the fact that I did. I live and work in NYS. I have all the necessary credentials to own and work in my own salon. It is a requirement of NYS that ALL Beauty Enhancement technicians be licensed. I just dont get it.
I agree! I want to see all these places shut down!!

It's so frustrating to have the owners care more about the more experienced but unlicensed techs. It baffles me that clients don't pay more attention to these things. They just care about a cheap price and if it looks good. They don't care if you're licensed or not.

(04-29-2013, 05:08 PM)javamama14821 Wrote: [ -> ]
And Why the Hell are these places still open??? I worked hard to get my license and cherish the fact that I did. I live and work in NYS. I have all the necessary credentials to own and work in my own salon. It is a requirement of NYS that ALL Beauty Enhancement technicians be licensed. I just dont get it.