BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: refresh my memory please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey ladies, I’m a stylist, not a nail pro – although as a cosmetologist, I’m covered – but I’m not really a skilled nail tech ... so a few years ago I played around with gel polish. I had a love/hate thing with it ...but I never did anything with it.

...I have decided I want to add gel polish as a service at my salon. I don’t want to get into extensions or tips, just polish ...it’s just me ...in my little 10 x 12 space inside a busy multifaceted building ...so I need a refresher on the process. Is it the same process, pretty much from one line to another?

start with:
dry mani ...remove any excess cuticle
gently rough up natural nail
swipe with dehydrating solution ( 99% alcholol will work??)

apply base gel – cure ...WIPE tacky layer off?

apply color coat 1 ( incorporating free edge)
cure
DO NOT wipe tacky layer off??
coat 2 – cure
DO NOT wipe tacky layer off?
top coat/sealer
cure
wipe tacky layer off
DONE?

what am I missing?? Thanks for the help!Shy
You don't wipe the tacky layer off after the base. The only time you wipe it off is at the end (with the lines I have used anyway).
Where are you located? I would recommend finding a tech close to you that you can sit down with. Hopefully someone nearby would be willing to help you out.
I'm in northern NY ...that's where I was confused - when to wipe! I might be able to find tech who will go over the procedure with me
(04-15-2013, 09:06 PM)loribe Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in northern NY ...that's where I was confused - when to wipe! I might be able to find tech who will go over the procedure with me

Most of the big brands have videos on youtube you can review also!
You can also check with your local beauty supply. They often offer classes for gelish, opi and CND.
What part of northern NY? I am in Pulaski and I would be happy to help you out! Smile
(04-16-2013, 06:42 AM)Darcy Wrote: [ -> ]What part of northern NY? I am in Pulaski and I would be happy to help you out! Smile

Thanks for the offer Darcy! I am up in Massena though ...about 2 hours farther north.
I did have a DVD from NSI but who knows where that ended up ... I'm going to be ordering from the Cuccio Veneer line - I think they include instructions ...I have a few clients who would be happy to let me 'practice' on them. Hopefully it will all come back to me!
It is a little bit of a distance, but I hope that one day we can get together, I just love to have other techs to talk Nail-talk with!
I have not tried the Cuccio Veneer line, but I have tried their traditional nail lacquer and it is fantastic!
Light Elegance's P2 is my go to soak off line. It is growing with more colors and I Love the base, No filing the natural nail Ever. Just push cuticle, cleanse & base, cure, 2 coats color, curing each, Top coat and Voila! Super Easy and wears fabulously.
Cuccio's soak off gel is truly wonderful - I also use mani-Q base & colors, but now I always use the Cuccio top coat.
(04-17-2013, 11:18 AM)CandiceAE Wrote: [ -> ]Cuccio's soak off gel is truly wonderful - I also use mani-Q base & colors, but now I always use the Cuccio top coat.

I just ordered Cuccio! Cant wait to try it!