BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: What is your favorite Gel Polish brand? and Why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

** EDITED BY ADMIN **

I called NSI and they were kind enough to send me full size bottles of their Polish Pro base and top coat and one color (scarlet), which I was very appreciative of. But after working with the product I am very disappointed, to say the least. The base and top coat were great, went on really easy and smooth. But the color was awful. It was very thick (way thicker than Shellac ever gets), got thicker as I was brushing it on the first nail, couldn't get a thin, even coat from a brand new bottle and had to shake it several times after each application on each nail. Had to keep dipping the brush into the bottle to get enough to cover the nail. It was difficult to get along the sidewalls and when I capped the ends it didn't level out. It was pretty globby and got thicker with each nail I did.

In my opinion NSI's Polish Pro left little to be desired as far as application process of the color. With CND's Shellac it is really thin to start with and even when it gets a little thick it doesn't get as thick as the brand new bottle of NSI's PP and still applies thinly and evenly. It goes on smooth, self levels and you can get to the very edge of the sidewall. You use very little of it, so you get more out of the bottle.

Will see how it wears and report on that later.

This is my opinion only based on my recent experience and am not looking for a debate or discussion.
I am using both Shellac and Gelish at the moment. Last night i went out to sallys and got Bella's Vampire only because of Breaking Dawn coming out today lol. Mind you i havent been using the gelish as much cuz im addicted to Shellac. I apllied my Gelish manicure and realized I have way more control of the Shellac. This is just MHO.
** EDITED BY ADMIN **

idonls :
>
> I called NSI and they were kind enough to send me full size bottles of their
> Polish Pro base and top coat and one color (scarlet), which I was very appreciative
> of. But after working with the product I am very disappointed, to say the
> least. The base and top coat were great, went on really easy and smooth.
> But the color was awful. It was very thick (way thicker than Shellac ever gets),
> got thicker as I was brushing it on the first nail, couldn't get a thin, even
> coat from a brand new bottle and had to shake it several times after each application
> on each nail. Had to keep dipping the brush into the bottle to get enough
> to cover the nail. It was difficult to get along the sidewalls and when I
> capped the ends it didn't level out. It was pretty globby and got thicker
> with each nail I did.
>
> In my opinion NSI's Polish Pro left little to be desired as far as application
> process of the color. With CND's Shellac it is really thin to start with and
> even when it gets a little thick it doesn't get as thick as the brand new bottle
> of NSI's PP and still applies thinly and evenly. It goes on smooth, self levels
> and you can get to the very edge of the sidewall. You use very little of it,
> so you get more out of the bottle.
>
> Will see how it wears and report on that later.
>
> This is my opinion only based on my recent experience and am not looking for
> a debate or discussion.

I'm also sorry that your first go with PP did not meet your hopes but I will say that we have to remember that every product works differently and when going into using a new product, we should go in with an open mind and not comparing and take each product on it's own.
As I have said before, every tech works differently with every product and for you, obviously PP didn't tickle your fancy and that's fine.
It works well and always has for me and that's why I love it and Shellac has always worked well for you obviously and that's why you love Shellac, each to their own I suppose.
By no means am I going to tell you that you are wrong with your feelings about PP, you are entitled to them based on your experience with the product, so please do not take anything I say this way cause it's not intended this way at all.
I'm sad that you didn't get the lovely result so many of us PP lovers get but we are all different.
I do know from the description you are giving of the thickness of the product that it might be the old formula maybe, cause my new formula bottle of Scarlet is miles apart in thickness compared to the older one and my older one was thick from the get-go, but the new one doesn't even come close to being like that.

Can I ask what type of light you use? If you use a LED light of some kind (I'm not talking our UV lights to cure, I mean our overhead lighting) I found with my LED light I have, it was ever so slightly curing my colours in the old formula but in the new formula, I'm not having that problem. So it was like going thick as I was applying it and it would shrink back a bit etc but when I realised it could be my LED light doing this, I turned it off and those problems went away.

Can I also say, I know you said you didn't wish to debate or discuss your thoughts on PP but I will admit I don't understand this. The reason why is, this is a public forum and I always thought that this is what a forum was all about, to discuss and nicely debate things, so if you don't want to do these things then why join the discussion? It just doesn't make sense to me that's all, cause I really thought that's what this is all about for all of us.

I called NSI today and talked to their customer service. Told them I liked their base and top coat but the color was horrendous to work with and how thick it got while I was applying it on the nail. She apologized and asked what color it was. I told her. She said that was their first collection and it had a tendancy to be thick. She said they reformulated their Pro Polish and would send me one of those along with the drops. That is great, but I wonder why if they are sending out free samples to prospective customers they don't send out the reformulated ones? She was very helpful so I do appreciate the customer service.

I am not going to debate or argue about anything. I am expressing my experience and opinion on here about a product I am trying, that's all.
idonls :
> I called NSI today and talked to their customer service. Told them I liked
> their base and top coat but the color was horrendous to work with and how thick
> it got while I was applying it on the nail. She apologized and asked what
> color it was. I told her. She said that was their first collection and it
> had a tendancy to be thick. She said they reformulated their Pro Polish and
> would send me one of those along with the drops. That is great, but I wonder
> why if they are sending out free samples to prospective customers they don't
> send out the reformulated ones? She was very helpful so I do appreciate the
> customer service.
>
*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

Yes, I had a feeling you might have the old formula and yes, I agree, it's a bit odd to send out the old stock when sending out samples. Maybe that just boils down to the staff member not understanding or accidentally picking up the wrong one or something like that but still, it's not good.
The new formula and the Renew drops are awesome and I'm sure you will see the difference.
You can use the Renew drops in your bottle you already have too if you want, so it won't go to waste and they really do thin it down nicely with no ill effects on the product at all.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***
*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

Idonls, I forgot to say, I have been very busy but not just with work, my mother is gravely ill in hospital. We have just found out she has secondary cancers stemming from deep aggressive melanomas in her lower legs and my disabled daughter has given me a very busy week with her 'issues' on top of everything else.
So I wish I was just busy in a good waySmile but I'm not. But work does help to take my mind of things I will admitSmile

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope all goes well for her and your family.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

Nevermind, not worth it.

You can get all upset you want, that is your choice. I'm over it and done with this discussion. You can do a search and look through your comments if you really want to know. It is there and you don't have to look too far. Even if you didn't know it was about me they were talking about you made reference to something in a nasty way (as you put it). Therefore I could only conclude you wouldn't answer my question. And as I said before you have been helpful to others in answering their questions about PP.

We are all human, have feelings and have our personal/family issues that we are dealing with, including myself. Some of us don't post on public forums for all to see, so no one knows what someone is going through. After you brought that up I was being considerate of what you are going through, but some would rather see the negative in that, than the good intentions. Oh, well!!
Thanks SobeitSmile I always will and always have tried to be nice and sometimes I too have an opinion on something but I always try and put it across nicely.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

I just ordered a couple of new colours of Polish Pro this morning at a clients request. I got Midnight and Jade. These are not colours that tickle my fancy but hey, you gotta get what your clients wantSmile

Speaking of SOGP, I made an interesting discovery this morning also and PLEASE understand with what I am about to say is NOT being nasty to anybody particularly the person I am about to mention, it's an observation that's all.
I was watching Holly's new animal print video (which is awesome by the way) and I went back to check out an older video (I can't remember which one now) and I noticed that when she pulled out the brush from the Black Pool bottle, it was really thick.
It was so thick that it made a slight string from brush to bottle neck for a second before breaking. Then I went back and watched the really early video when she first started doing Shellac videos and saw that when she used Black Pool it was nice and thin.
The other hting I noticed was, in earlier videos it didn't take many strokes at all to cover the entire nail pop but this newer video where the product has obviously thickened up significantly, you can see the difference where it takes many more strokes to get the product on, thin and even.
For me, as someone who does not use Shellac, it was a bit of an eye opener I suppose because of all the recent talk coming out of the wood work that even Shellac is going thick after time but many people keep saying "no. it's not"
So for me seeing this, tells me why some techs are having huge problems with Shellac being too thick and others are not, it clearly does thicken over time.

Again, I will say, this is not meant to be nasty at all on any level, especially not towards Holly. It's just her video I noticed it in that's all but it has nothing to do with her skill or technique, Holly is awesome and a great asset to this industry.
it is an observation about the Shellac product.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***

In answer to your Shellac observation, I am not sure what to tell you about what you observed on Holly's video. The only color that I've had any issues (minor at that) is with their french white. It can get a little thick, but not like you described. As it has been mentioned before since Shellac does contain solvents it would be natural for it to thicken, but in my experience it can still be worked with and doesn't get thicker while I'm working with it like the old formula Polish Pro did. I do wonder, too, if since she was doing a video, which takes time, if by the time she was doing things with it, it got thick on her from being open for an extended length of time?

I have noticed too that one bottle of Gelish I had no problems with it. The next bottle I bought, it is different. It is whiter, thinner, doesn't make a crisp smile line like it did before. It is almost like the formula changed. Maybe that is the situation with the bottle of Shellac on the video. It's really hard to know.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***
I am always here for EVERYBODY to answer any questions on a subject I know about.

So yes, if you or anybody have any questions about PP, just ask awaySmile

Thank you Wooshka, I appreciate that!
ColleenNY :
> Sooooo....what IS everyone's favorite brand of gel polish? Big Grin

LUXIO of course 8)
Sweet! I haven't heard of that line yet.
What do you like about it?

sobeit

COLLEEN my lovely. lol I will answer again for the 4th time, the same answer I gave in this very thread 4 times. Wait, I think I said that already. Big Grin
Polish Pro, Gelish, and Eco if the pots don't leak. Eco in the bottle I am sure of it, when I get those.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN ***
I just did a google search and found Luxio is from Akzentz and it's a pure gel with no solvents.
It says it's being put into a polish bottle with 24 colors.

So there's a little bit of info on itSmile
I'm really loving Entity One Color! I've used Shellac, YN, and Gelish. So far Entity gives me the best of all worlds. Nice consistency, decent soak-off time, great wear, and cool colors.
I'm wondering, is it more difficult to formulate the peach, coral, or orangey colors? Because it seems there aren't many of these, (versus pinks and reds) in any of the brands? Or are those shades passe?

sobeit

Polish Pro by NSI carries oranges, peach, and bronze oranges. Very beautiful. My favorite is Desert Sands.

BornToBling

Quote:LANA :
ColleenNY :
Sooooo....what IS everyone's favorite brand of gel polish? Big Grin

LUXIO of course 8)

Love it! I am an Akzentz girl, tried and true. I have tried so many others. IBD, BioSculpture, Axxium and Gelish, and Akzentz is always what I fall back on and recommend to all my clients. LUXIO is such a fantastic line, and with 16 new colors with effects colors as well, I cannot wait to get my hands on every color. Options line is still my fallback, with over 150 colors including their aurora colors, this line is perfect. The best color fades are done with this line out of any I have tried. And the LUXIO Gloss is so shiney and stays that way. I use it on all my clients, gel polish or gel nails alike.
Recently I tried Makosh Professional VIM gel nail polish and was surprised how beautiful their colors are Very nice to work with their gel. The top coat makes the nail smooth and real shiny! Great product to recommend!

what about jessica geleration, progel , ibd,artistic etc brands?has any of you tried them?
I have tried ibd, artistic, as well as lechat and a brand called cacee. I will start of saying ibd is not worth your time, the colors don't match the bottles, they come out thin and the color streaks something awful. Artistic is definitely a winner for me, it has in my opinion more colors that are obscure for those hip and happening clients looking for those fun colors although they do sell some classic colors as well (nudes, pinks and reds) I also like artistic because it has little to NO shrinking! Definitely makes me happy. I like the lechat because it is incredibly durable, I use it on myself because it is something I can use and the polish will hold even through acetone etc so I normally change it about a week/week and half over a few days, clients will go about 2-3 weeks, but I always only insure 2 weeks. their color collection is in the middle, they have fun colors and nudes, about 100ish or so colors (I received a handout with all their colors at my last trade show) they have some good glitters such as their new mermaid line but I tend to get both lechat and artistic to balance out my color options. Another one is the brand cacee, you might also know it as bff. They just released a gel line and it's so-so but the colors are really pretty out of the bottle and definitely worth looking for. That's about the best on what I feel is the more obscure brands or brands other than the ones mentioned here. I know that artistic and lechat are both UV/LED curable I am unsure of the cacee brand but since it seems to be a bit newer I'm pretty sure it will be UV/LED curable too but I'd definitely check the bottle if you are looking at it.
Hope this helps you out
Orly GelFX is good and wears well. My fave is ibd. It's affordable and they have an array of colors. The top coat stays super shiny and there is mininal fading for clients who are out in the sun a lot.

I have been participating in a Japanese nail art challenge and broke out my OPI Axxium in the pot. I hope they aren't phasing it out. I like it better than their bottle SOG. Only drawback is it's uv cure only.

I also use Gelish but prefer a pure gel SOG polish, so ibd is my #1 fave!

Chrissy
Love Those Toes Nail Spa
Washington, DC
Pages: 1 2 3 4