BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: ALLERGIC TO ACRYLIC!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in school still but I have been breaking out pretty bad when I do acrylic nails. My hands and face get blotchy/itchy and my hands peel and now my neck is doing it as well. My hands look horrible which isn't good since people are always looking down at them. I use Tammy Taylor right now in school. Is there something else that might be better? I don't have a problem with gel at all but I really do like to do acrylic. Can anyone please help me?
Are you wearing a face mask and gloves when working with acrylic? I would definitely do so until you can determine exactly what it is that's causing the reaction. When I was in school, we use OPI and I had a reaction to the monomer. I had to wear a face mask and gloves.

Have you tried another acrylic line to determine if the allergy is specific to Tammy Taylor products? Or do you believe you are allergic to all acrylic products across the board?

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
I wear a mask when I'm filing. I did start to wear gloves, but I always seem to get a hole in the finger tip of my dominate hand so they don't help that much. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to them all. When I used to get my nails done, my fingertips would peel. But now that I'm working with it every day, I'm peeling on my palms and fingers.
I know that (in my area at least) just because it is a nail salon, that doesn't mean they use a quality. Also when I was in school the acrylic that came in our kit was an extremely cheap off brand and would make my hands peel, but after I started using CND I didn't have the problem anymore. CND and OPI have little trial kits that are fairly inexpensive, it may be worth getting one and trying it.
Ahhh, so sorry to hear hun. Have you tried an odorless system? Maybe that won't be as harsh on your skin? I used gloves that were a heavier material, and tear resistant.

I had to wear goggles in school as well, as the monomer burned a hole through my contact lenses! Talk about strong fumes!

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Bowie, MD
I'm allergic to the HEMA that's in fast set competition nail monomer. Tammy Taylor is one of those. A few days ago, I made the mistake of using an old acrylic and liquid to practice some of my skills. I accidentally got a little bit on 2 of my fingers. The next day, you could see where my skin on the fingers was starting to break down at the spots where the liquid splashed. Stupid, stupid me!

Luckily, is was very short lived and it's beginning to heal nicely. The other thing that happens when I'm exposed to the liquid is that I start to itch all over. I can REALLY tell when it's competition liquid because I can smell the difference and the room starts to feel "close", if you know what I mean.

I like a speed set product, so I use Young Nails liquid (no HEMA) and their Speed Powders. The speed is in the powder and not the liquid, which typically has the HEMA. It's really, really made a difference for me.

I know it might be hard, but try using a different system that doesn't have the HEMA in the liquid.

This is my allergy story.

http://www.beautytech.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=810

Thank goodness for Young Nails!

There are two main ways to protect yourself - ventilation and avoiding skin contact. Ventilation means either extracting the air in your work zone that contains air-born chemical and dust to the outside, or using a professional 3-stage filter system from companies like Aerovex Systems or Filtronic in Sweden. e.g. http://www.aerovexsystems.com/salons/sou...s.tpl.html

Note that table-top units are rarely effective at removing chemical fumes and micro dust because the motor and filters are not strong or big enough.

Once you have developed an allergy, changing material may help - for a while. Often, once your body has broken down to create this allergy, it makes it more sensitive and you may find that the new materials also cause the allergy to reappear after time.

I know of nail techs who took the precautions and were able to continue to work for years, and have heard of people who didn't and had to quit doing the job they loved. Hope it works out for you - good luck.
I had problems in school with acrylics. Still do -- don't do them. The only product I didn't have problems with is YN