BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Foils
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.dollarnailart.com/cat_pages/foils.html

Has anyone used these foils? I have seen some beautiful things done with them, but the million dollar question is are they actual as easy to work with as they appear?

Of course, at this price... It's worth it to try anyways I think...
I have quite a few.
I love them & they r fun..
but I only use them with my gels & art stuff..on natural nails they don't last very long.

I like the glue it dries fast applies easy & sticks the foil well..

IMO they are worth trying..esp. bc of the price
good luck..

ps
my fav is the snakeskin..it's really cool

Big Grin
I've bought from them and for the price it's definitely worth trying. I never liked using it with the glue. Since I only do gels, I just kept the sticky layer on after curing and used that to adhere the foils. It works so much better for me. You do have to order a minimum of $25 from Dollar Nail Art but that's 25 different pretties to try! Smile There were a few that just did NOT work for me and they were the marbled looking ones. I just couldn't get it to stick to the nails. Love Opal Swirl. Put that on a pink or purple and it's so pretty!

ShawnaMayo :
> http://www.dollarnailart.com/cat_pages/foils.html
>
> Has anyone used these foils? I have seen some beautiful things done with them,
> but the million dollar question is are they actual as easy to work with as
> they appear?
>
> Of course, at this price... It's worth it to try anyways I think...
Thanks! I'm gonna order some fun things then Smile
I use them all the time. I think the metallics transfer the best, the pastels were sorta crappy:-(

When I'm covering the whole nail, I polish it with the same color to fill in any possible gaps in the foil.

Here I polished the nail silver as a base...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...=3&theater

Here I used a rainbow and a solid gold pattern foil...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...=3&theater[/img]

Sorry for the links, but it was faster:-)
Great pics! Smile thanks!
Thank you Shawna, and you're welcome.
Do you use gel topcoat over the foil? Or is regular topcoat better?
When I use it over a gel or acrylic nail, I use Gel Sealer or hard gel. Over natural nails, I use a thin coat of SOG. They don't seem to wear well with regular or UV Topcoat.
Thanks Joy! Your pictures are very pretty.
Heather
Do you use gel topcoat over the foil? Or is regular topcoat better?
Quote:When I use it over a gel or acrylic nail, I use Gel Sealer or hard gel. Over natural nails, I use a thin coat of SOG. They don't seem to wear well with regular or UV Topcoat.

This makes sense as I would imagine the foil leaves a slight raised texture and would catch on things...
Thanks Heather:-) I think I answered your question in my previous post....Let me know if I didn't.

Actually Shawna, it's NOT raised. The design simply 'transfers' from the foil onto the nail surface, leaving the clear backing. They are not nail coverings like Minx or SheeKee.

They seem to need extra protection. Most YouTube videos I've seen recommend top coat every other day or so, especially on natural nails. I would say that naturals need more strength because they're so flexible....
these foils just keep getting more tempting!!
Umm, no idea why my question posted twice.....yes Joy, perfectly answered.
Thanks again. Smile
Heather
I have these foils and LOVE them!! Funny thing is, I can't get them to stick to my gel dispersion layer. Am I missing something super simple?

I had the same issue with the foil sticking. Sounds like something I was doing wrong.
Hi Joy............The rainbow was that the rainbow drops and gold underneath. Have you layered the foils with any luck? Thanks for the tips. My cart is filling up lol.
Theresa, I'll look when I get to the salon tomorrow to tell you the name of the rainbow foil.

I haven't layered them, but that pic was gold and rainbow. I applied the adhesive to the whole nail, let it dry and just did random snatches of each. When doing the 2nd one, I applied it in the empty spots. It'll only stick where there's exposed adhesive. The nail had the purple gel on it too, so I liked how it peeped through in some spots:-)

I've tried just using the dispersion layer too with no success. So I use the adhesive, works everytime...
So does the adhesive stick to a shiny gel surface or do you buff off the shine? I didn't have much luck with using the gel dispersion layer to stick the foil.
I don't buff, it properly adheres to polish (which is smooth and shiny) so I don't think it's necessary. I do wipe the sticky layer off though....
Thanks Joy! That makes sense. I've had these foils stuck in a drawer forever and this thread inspired me to pull em out. Fun, fun, fun!
does anyone know anywhere that sells them where I don't have to buy $25 in product? I want to buy just one or two to try them before I buy more.
Nailite has a bunch of them, but there's still a minimum order. Difference is Nailite has everything else. Who doesn't need a few files, buffers, gel brushes, etc?
Theresa, the rainbow foil is called "Wrapping Paper."
Sorry I took so long getting back (I forgot)! Perhaps you can give it a try with your next order:-)
Pages: 1 2