BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Pry my nails off please!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So one of my students job shadowed at a salon last week. I asked her about her experience and what she learned. And to my udder shock and dismay I learned the perferred method of doing nails by this "american nail tech" (who is booked solid) does NOT do fills only fullsets. She pries off perfectly attached nails EVERY time and does a fulllset!!!!
My blood pressure soared and my legs got weak and started to shake. I think I broke out in a heat rash hives on my neck!

I told her she learned EXACTLY what not to do.

To make matters worse I also learned that one of the students preparing to graduate (who is also a clients of this tech) is planning on doing nails the exact same way and is pretty much at school just to get her license and will not listen to the instructors when they have tried to guide her away from this technique.

Now, I know this technique has been a method used by some of those working in the little discount shops, when nails need to be replaced, but at least they fill the nails a few times first.

Just thinking about the bad light this places in the industry in my area that it is an accepted technique by people who know how to speak english and know better completely blows my freakin mind.

Whew!!
All I can say as a former 6 year UV gel customer- ouch! I would have my Nails done & get fills for months- a year ++ before anyone (even not American speaking) recommended taking them off & apply a new set.....I usually let them file down & grow out.... The 1 time I said YES to it (cause they SAID they were so bad... ha ha ha now I know that was BS) they took a TIP & shoved it between my GEL & Natural nail- I was ready to pass out!! If anyone recommended doing that each month I would leave!
That really doesn't shock me. I went to cosmetology school, not a nail tech school because that was all that was in my area. They completely brushed past teaching how to properly do a set of nails. I was the only one in the class that even planned on doing nails after I got my license. I ended up showing most of my class what they needed to know to pass state board from what I had learned on sites like this and just experimenting on my own.
(01-25-2013, 10:52 PM)jessicam981 Wrote: [ -> ]That really doesn't shock me. I went to cosmetology school, not a nail tech school because that was all that was in my area. They completely brushed past teaching how to properly do a set of nails. I was the only one in the class that even planned on doing nails after I got my license. I ended up showing most of my class what they needed to know to pass state board from what I had learned on sites like this and just experimenting on my own.

Unfortuneatly your situation is common in schools. but I have never known this method to be OK or accepted. I guess I just expect people to use thier "common sense" a little. But even that is not so ''Common" anymore.
Thanks for sharing.
I'm so shocked I can't type.... does your state have regulations where that nail tech can be checked into?
(01-26-2013, 02:19 AM)Gr8Nailz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so shocked I can't type.... does your state have regulations where that nail tech can be checked into?

Terri, I know, I had the same response. I just moved to this state, so Im not sure how well the state is with taking care of these types of things. But Im going to look into it! Im so appalled.
All I can say is OH MY GOD! Really! I have been in this business almost 40 yrs. I have seen and heard of almost everything. But this takes the cake. I know your Mcnail salons do this for time. But in a school. When I taught all the girls wanted to do was nail art instead of knowing how to do the simply things, like fit a tip. ect. So I can relate to your situation. The other salons( I use salon loosely) have been doing this for years. What I can't understand is how any client would let them remove their nails this way without getting up and punching them dead in the mouth, I know I would. lol

I live in North Carolina and the state board is spread so thin that they can't catch everything.

Good luck to you.
Cindy, has this girl had this done to her?? I can't believe she lets this be done to her, her nails beds have got to be really thin.
(01-26-2013, 08:08 PM)*****Cindy Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2013, 02:19 AM)Gr8Nailz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so shocked I can't type.... does your state have regulations where that nail tech can be checked into?

Terri, I know, I had the same response. I just moved to this state, so Im not sure how well the state is with taking care of these types of things. But Im going to look into it! Im so appalled.

I honestly don't think there's actual rules in the rule book about how to remove the nails. I wish there were. In this case it would be a complaint against the business by a client that would be cause for being checked into and since there's no specific way to remove enhancements listed, it's pretty much what the business want's to do....imo.