BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: How do you learn doing your acrylic nails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been a nail tech for 3 years, but just working on manicure and pedicure. Now I am thinking of doing acrylic. I don't have ideas where i should start, what I should do. Do I need to get a mentor or I can practice myself? In winter, the business is so slow if I just work on manicure and pedicure. Please give me some your ideas!!Thank you!!
Pick a system and practice on practice hands/fingers until you get the hang of the consistency and ratios. You can watch tutorials on youtube. Then start practicing on friends and family. You can also see if there are any classes/workshops in your area. It is best to have someone teach you but you can learn yourself. I am in beauty school right now and my instructors hate doing nails and don't usually have time to help me so I pretty much taught myself.
Thank you, Lynne85, I think I have to start practicing no matter what kind of situation I have. I need to find someone to practice on!!
Tammy Taylor makes 2 videos that I highly recommend. first is Tammy Taylor's nine most popular nail procedures and then Nails in Stages. can order them from her web site. If you only get one to start then get nails in stages.
also you might want to looking into a gel polish line. since I'm sure you already know how to polish nails it will me easier to lean and you can add it to you service menu now to help boost you income. just another thought Smile
U can use dolly pins ( round pins u hang clothes up with) as fingers a bag cost 3.99 an has 60 pins in a bag. Micheal's sell them. I use them to sculpt out the nails, an they help with filing nails like you would on a real person.
Cool idea for practice- thx!
Thanks, EternalFlower09 and Powermoves. I will try them. Good ideas! Thank you so much!!
(01-25-2013, 06:05 PM)Powermoves Wrote: [ -> ]U can use dolly pins ( round pins u hang clothes up with) as fingers a bag cost 3.99 an has 60 pins in a bag. Micheal's sell them. I use them to sculpt out the nails, an they help with filing nails like you would on a real person.

HI, Thank you for posting this. I would like to try it. My "hand" from school was ruined so I haven't been able to practice. Do you think this would work for gels? Do you sculpt from the tip? Or glue tips on the them?
Same question with Tashawana!! Thank you!
Yes this clothes pin idea is great- buy i need more insight- or a picture- thx
That is a great idea! Wish I would have thought about that before investing in my Nail Trainer Hand! Don't get me wrong - I love it! It's the closest thing to a real hand and definitely well worth the investment. But the clothes pins would have been more cost effective, not to mention they are great for practice with an e-file.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
I use them for both gel and acrylic. I have about 200 dolly nails that I've done. I love the fact after i'm done sculpting I can file them and they want break. My friend she does tips on hers. We love doing stiletto's nails, edge nails well all shape's. Buy extra bags if u mess up they do go quick. Have fun ladies if i could post picture's I would share some of mines. Also they are really good if u have a customer that wants something difference practice the designs on them, so it will be a breezes when they come in.
I mainly used to practice on myself with no priming and a little clear polish underneath. Then just pop them off.
I don't use primer. I just do the acrylic or gel and a form. Primer cost to much. So mine's stay on.
Finding a mentor where you can watch and ask questions is priceless. I have done that and I also offer one on one classes and let you bring a model to put a full set on.
Does anyone have pics of the dolly's with nails on them?
I do but i can't post picture's on here. I think u have to be Vip and pay ( i think) send me ur email and i will send u the pictures.
(01-28-2013, 03:48 PM)Powermoves Wrote: [ -> ]I do but i can't post picture's on here. I think u have to be Vip and pay ( i think) send me ur email and i will send u the pictures.

Could you send me a pic also?? Thank you !!
ck1sassey@yahoo.com
okay i will
(01-28-2013, 04:51 PM)Powermoves Wrote: [ -> ]okay i will

I would like too. Thank you!!

Royelian10@hotmail.com
Me too please ctonramk@aol.com
check ya emails I sent them
Thank you!
(01-29-2013, 09:04 PM)Powermoves Wrote: [ -> ]check ya emails I sent them

Thank you very much, I got them, they are pretty!!
thanks there old. I'm working on new ones. Please if you try send me a picture or two. ynobelife@msn.com
Pages: 1 2