BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: are there any Military-spouse-techs here ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do y'all deal with relocating every 3 years and finding new jobs and new clients ?
Hey there, I'm a military wife (UK). To be honest, I hate it. Especially when (in the UK) there are so many wives learning 'nails' on day courses. I find I just start getting a good run with a client base and then we move. It's very hard, I feel for this industry. Although, I have friends that are hairdressers or beauticians which they do better.

I don't know how it will be in the US as I know you guys have to go to beauty school for your licence etc.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others on here that can comment.

Angela Smile
Angela
That s exactly how i feel.I have only been doing hair so far and it has been really frustrating as well. Unless you are willing to work at a corporate salon in a mall it is really difficult to make money since it takes a while to build a clientele. When we moved to Germany i started booth rent on an army post and didn't even make enough to cover the daycare cost for my daughter. I left after a few month and found a spot in a mall but didn't even get paid minimum-wage since the US license is not accepted in Germany. I gave up after a few months there and went back to my old job which makes way more money but i have always hated !!!!
(01-28-2013, 04:12 AM)nevalein Wrote: [ -> ]Angela
That s exactly how i feel.I have only been doing hair so far and it has been really frustrating as well. Unless you are willing to work at a corporate salon in a mall it is really difficult to make money since it takes a while to build a clientele. When we moved to Germany i started booth rent on an army post and didn't even make enough to cover the daycare cost for my daughter. I left after a few month and found a spot in a mall but didn't even get paid minimum-wage since the US license is not accepted in Germany. I gave up after a few months there and went back to my old job which makes way more money but i have always hated !!!!

I feel you. I don't know why they wouldn't accept your licence because that shows your more qualified than some out there.
I lived in Germany for 5 years and only had some wives. Although I worked from my basement that I turned into a salon. It is still very hard. I'm still trying and again like you, have to worry about childcare costs if I do go into a salon.

I hope things pick up for you. Keep trying and hopefully you will get more clients xx

The reason they didn't accept my license was because in Germany it takes 3 years to become a hairdresser and the training is very intense compared to the training in the US, they had me do a few haircuts though before they hired me so obviously i was good enough for them to work there so i think since i did the same work everybody else did, they should have paid me the same money ! I actually liked working there since i learned a lot from the boss in only a short amount of time, i decided it was time to go when my supervisor badmouthed me to returning clients and told them i wasn't even fully licensed..........I hope i will be more successful doing nails and not run into as much drama as i encountered in the hair world ...