BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Dr. Oz is at it again!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saw a commercial for Dr. Oz episode today. He is at it again. Now he is smearing gel manicures and of course bringing up the light issue again. And from what I could see no nail industry expert to address anything. Will be taping the episode, as much as I hate to watch him, just so I can be ready and armed to answers all the questions that will come my way. Frustrated to the max!!
I know - mom , mother in law, friends will start texting & calling-- can u post some responses to His comments-- I'm still in manicuring school & will need help- thanks
I wish that Doug could be on that show to talk on behalf the gel manicures and the light issues
I will try to post some comments. Won't be until this evening after I get off work and listen to what he had to say.
Watching Dr. Oz wanting to reach through and strangle that Dermatologist saying it is never safe to get a gel manicure...WTF !!!!!
Doug Schoon should be absolutely be a quest.
What a great idea!!!!!
Here is some help- HE MAKES ME NUTS!!!

ANd this info following IS CND Lamp focused, BUT! CND UV Lamps have a higher UV output than most lamps on the market.

UV Nail Lamp Safety Information.

As of April 11, 2012.

• According to Dr. Robert M. Sayre, Ph.D., of Rapid Precision Testing Laboratories one of the creators of the SPF rating system: “UV Nail Lamps are safer than natural sunlight or sunlamps.”.

• Dr. David Valia, Director of Research and Development for CND, compares the exposure from a UV lamp to that of indoor fluorescent lighting. He explains, “The amount of energy from a UV lamp during a nail service would be roughly equivalent to the amount of UV exposure one would experience during a typical day of exposure in indoor fluorescent lighting.”.

• According to Dr. Sayre: “People who are indoors have little to no skin risk due to long term exposure to fluorescent lighting. People who sunbathe or work outdoors have real risks of excessive UV exposure, the cause of sunburn and skin cancer.”.

• “The CND UV Nail Lamp bulb emits almost exclusively (more than 99%) UVA-1, the safest part of the ultraviolet spectrum,” says Dr. Sayre.

• The exposure from a bi-weekly UV manicure is equivalent to “an extra 1-2 minutes in daylight each day between salon visits,” says Doug Schoon, CND’s Chief Scientific Advisor and author of Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

• Although hands are the most exposed, they’re also the least susceptible to UV sensitivity. According to Dr. Sayre, “It would take 6 – 10x more exposure to your hands to produce mild sunburn than it would to produce a burn on your face, abdomen or back. UV Nail Lamps are used on one of the least susceptible parts of your body.”.

• Hands get more UV exposure holding the steering wheel of a car or talking on a cell phone outside than they do from the use of UV nail lamps.

• UV nail lamps have been on the market for over 30 years and there have been no proven reports linking them to premature aging or skin cancer.

• Just like you put sunscreen on your face, we recommend putting sunscreen on your hands throughout the day, especially after washing them.

One would need 250 years of weekly UV-cured nail sessions to equal one treatment in a tanning bed!!

And just to discredit the good "Dr.," who has been on this "quack" list for 2 years running: http://www.randi.org/site/jref-news/1260-pigasus-2011

Battle misinformation with facts!
Haven't watched it yet, but I am sure they won't have Doug Schoon on the show because it is about getting ratings and you only get ratings if you create fear. Dr. Oz is not about sharing good/helpful information, it is all based on creating fear. If he was about doing a show on salon safety he should be exposing all the unsafe things that are done by uneducated, don't care nail techs, especial in chop shops.

A dermatologist is a doctor specializing in skin. She knows nothing about nail structure/biology/disorders, nail care, nail products, etc. Bunch of crock. Was going to watch it at work with a client but I could by the first few minutes I was going to be yellin at the tv, so I turned it off
Okiedokie, just watched the segment. I was floored with all the misinformation. First they said acetone thins the layers of the nail, no matter how you soak off. Then Dr. Oz showed how it's scraped off with a METAL tool. Should never use a metal tool if you need to take off any of the gel polish. Then he dug into the nail until he chipped into the cuticle area. Of course you will get infections if you break the seal of the cuticle!! So the removal process was totally exaggerated. They were still disputing the fact that the UV lights DO NOT cause skin cancer. Showed one lady has signs of fine lines and some discoloration of her hands. SHE LIVES IN FLORIDA!! Duh!! They said a salon should use LED lights ONLY. But failed to mention that not all gel polishes will cure under LED lights. If clients are still concerned about the UV light they can put SPF lotion before their appt. Simple!! The dermatologist suggested using a top coat every night over regular polish and you will get the same results as a gel polish manicure. WRONG!! After 5-6 days your polish will be peeling off in big pieces which WILL thin your natural nail. I have had clients wearing Shellac gel polish since it came out and majority of them their nails are in better shape then ever. They have length and strength. If gel polish is so damaging then why are my clients nails doing so well? As with any nail product, it isn't the product that causes the damage it is uneducated nail tech that does. Of course they failed to mention that. Will have to do some damage control now. Sheeeeeeesh!! smh
Sensationalism=ratings. My friend told me about this yesterday. She said they did note that the UV exposure was minute, and the main concern was the bacteria that can get trapped under the polish and the soaking off in acetone. I didn't get to see it,but it sounded mind numbingly stupid.

It is funny, because Dr. Oz helps my husband's careet, and hurts mine. My husband works for an organic herbal medicine/supplement company. Whenever Dr. Oz features an herb or freeze dried food/supplement, my husband gets slammed with orders.
Here is some additional help combating his comments that is for the most part not product specific:
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/fingernailfixe...e-His.aspx

His show has actually refused to have Doug Schoon!
It's amazing what come up if you type Dr. Oz is into google.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/search/result...-1&fref=ts
Dr. Oz is a joke and only does what he does for ratings, he never gets credible people to defend his argument (i.e why he brought in a dermatologist) I NEVER pay any attention to what he does or says. With that said the only show I watch with doctors are in is The Doctors because there are different once with there difference opinions, and because Travis Stork is just sexy sexy sexy Big Grin LOL... sorry got off topic for a second. Dr. Oz is a joke he is lame BLAH!!!
(01-30-2013, 05:02 PM)angelscry85 Wrote: [ -> ]Dr. Oz is a joke and only does what he does for ratings, he never gets credible people to defend his argument (i.e why he brought in a dermatologist) I NEVER pay any attention to what he does or says. With that said the only show I watch with doctors are in is The Doctors because there are different once with there difference opinions, and because Travis Stork is just sexy sexy sexy Big Grin LOL... sorry got off topic for a second. Dr. Oz is a joke he is lame BLAH!!!

I whole heartedly agree with ya hun!! But there are a whole lot of people watching and believing or he wouldn't be on the air. Pretty dang sad if ya ask me!