BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Am I the only one grossed out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the idea interested me but then i put it out of my mind. the other day i got my new nails mag in the mail and saw they had an article on doing this and while looking at the picture of dead snake skin laying across the manicure table all i could think was "GROSS!" . am I the only one that feels this way? don't get me wrong i think the finished nail looked cool but this cant be hygienic, can it? If it is please explain how so that I can pass this info on to any client that might be interested in having this done. Thanks Smile
Well, people carry around snake skin bags and such... But I don't know, this is kind of creepy and gross. You could do a snake skin manicure without ACTUAL snake skin. I will have to check that out now.
If people are wearing cows (leather) then I'm cool with other animals skin, lol.
ok but are you going to take the freshly removed cows skin and put it in a nail? the whole thing just grosses me out.
(01-11-2013, 12:21 PM)EternalFlower09 Wrote: [ -> ]the idea interested me but then i put it out of my mind. the other day i got my new nails mag in the mail and saw they had an article on doing this and while looking at the picture of dead snake skin laying across the manicure table all i could think was "GROSS!" . am I the only one that feels this way? don't get me wrong i think the finished nail looked cool but this cant be hygienic, can it? If it is please explain how so that I can pass this info on to any client that might be interested in having this done. Thanks Smile

I did not see the article but I can't imagine that they're really using snake skin like you use for purses or shoes. That's pretty thick. I'll bet they're using shed, that is the skin the snake moults as it grows. Which, now that I think about it, actually grosses me out even more!
lol yes it is using the shed. I'm glad I'm not the only one grossed out.
People have been using moult feathers for nail art forever. Feathers and snake skin are made of keratin. Physiologically, they're the same as our hair and nails. IMHO, the "gross-out factor" comes from the negative perception many people have of snakes in general. Dollarnailart has a snakeskin nail foil if you want the look without the "eeewwww". I've used it and it looks pretty cool!
funny, I just read the magazine at lunch today and thought the same thing when I saw it. It was so gross I wouldn't even read the article!
LOL, you ladies are funny. I love the idea of shed snake skin, even have a piece (the whole snake actually) that I have for nails, but haven't used yet. It's just something different for this wonderful industry we are in. The foils are pretty cool, and you can also find snake skin print nail art paper, and pre-designed tips for those of you that are grossed out, but like the look.
I have snake skin in my nail art tickle trunk and more is on the way Smile I've got natural coloured snake skin, as well as pieces that have been overdyed with colours like pink and green. A friend in Texas who has a farm preps it and sends it to me. I love it. It looks fabulous embedded in a nail and it is no more or less hygienic than any of the other things that we embed into our work. No one has any problem with feathers and they come from an animal as well. I think it must just be that people are creeped out by snakes.
(01-15-2013, 12:47 PM)NicoleCormier Wrote: [ -> ]I have snake skin in my nail art tickle trunk and more is on the way Smile I've got natural coloured snake skin, as well as pieces that have been overdyed with colours like pink and green. A friend in Texas who has a farm preps it and sends it to me. I love it. It looks fabulous embedded in a nail and it is no more or less hygienic than any of the other things that we embed into our work. No one has any problem with feathers and they come from an animal as well. I think it must just be that people are creeped out by snakes.

Nope, I love snakes, nothing creepy about them at all. But then I wouldn't put feathers on my nails either.