BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: SOGP then buff??? White spots?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ik they say you don't need to do any buffing or filing after it is soaked and removed ...But I find remains of base on the nail or anything and it drives me nuts I'm afraid when I put on another layer of base then polish it will show I don't want to take that chance..
I come across a couple clients that may get the white spots on their nail beds, is it just because their nails are more dry than others? When they take a break from the SOG for a couple weeks then they are ok again?
Thanks for any advice!
YOu could be putting too much base on if it's not all coming off. Try leaving the wraps on a bit longer. I know most lines say it soaks off in 10 min. but I've found 15 is even better and actually makes less work for you trying to get it off. The white spots are either dry areas on the nails or damage done to the nails during the removal process. If the gel isn't releasing in sheets, and you have to pry at it to get it off, then that could be damaging the nail and causing the white spots.
Not to sound preachy, but that just shouldn't happen; there should be no residue for you to buff. And repeated buffing will thin the nail over time. Either you are applying the base too thick or you are not allowing the remover to soak long enough. I've heard it said that when you apply the base, you should examine the nail carefully. If you can detect any ridge from nail to base, you've applied it too thick. I actually kind of scrub it into the nail rather than float it on. And when you do the removal, make sure the pad is saturated with remover and firmly in contact with the nail I sometimes even add a little halfway through the soak. And if you're not already, try using the remover for that system rather than plain acetone. As for the white spots, they may be simple dehydration and with some solar oil will go away quickly. But given that you are having problems with removal, I'd be concerned that they are signs of damage from scraping. The December Nails Magazine had a really good article on removal with some excellent info from Doug Schoon. You might take a look at it and review your technique accordingly. It's pages 124-129. http://nailsmag.epubxp.com/i/91141/55
Thanks! I think I might put the base on just a little to thick .. But I do get parinoid abought the beds being clean ..nothing worse than finding out on your home stretch that their is something in the base or polish grrrr.
The beds need to be clean for good adhesion of the base.
I think my first question is are you using any sort of "bonding" layer before the base coat? That would keep it from releasing properly and quickly.

Here is some information to make sure you are applying your base thin enough.

Too thick a base layer, when cured, will leave too much sticky residue layer. Too much sticky residue layer will cause the color layers to "float" and visual shrinkage can be seen at the tips, but sometimes around the entire perimeter of the nail plate. Your clients will experience an excessive amount of lifting and or peeling rather quickly. You might even notice the product is not releasing when soaked off as quick as the manufacturer states it will. I know several technicians who have started to apply the base coats of the "bottle brands" with a gel brush rather than the polish brushes. Some use eco So Quick base with other brands of UVGP color.

To prevent excess sticky residue layer it is important you apply the base coat as thin as possible:

Using a regular nylon gel brush, get a little dab of the base on the brush and tap all 5 nails in the center with that one dab of base gel. "Scrub" the base coat onto the entire nail plate, then pull it down to the free edge, almost as if you were wiping it off. It will feel dry, and like your fighting the brush from sticking to the nail plate. Once cured, it is shiny, but it is not to much product, causing color to float on top of the sticky residue layer and no dry wiping should be needed. This is plenty of base coat, trust me. Then you can apply your color coats as needed.

You can try "dry wiping" - which would be just as it sounds. After curing the base, use a link free wipe or a clean dry brush and wipe off the excess sticky layer. This may not help with your removal situation - because if you have too much sticky layer you have too much base!