BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Hand Filing Buff Off Gel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you who do not use an e-file, how do you remove buff off gel from the nail? Is it possible to hand file it off? I know you aren't supposed to go real close to the nail plate but how close is it possible to get without damage? I've only seen enhancements removed with an e-file. I'm real curious because I have buff off gel on my nails (probably much too thick then they are to be) and I'm wondering how to remove it without breaking my arm, lol.
(12-09-2012, 12:33 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: [ -> ]For those of you who do not use an e-file, how do you remove buff off gel from the nail? Is it possible to hand file it off? I know you aren't supposed to go real close to the nail plate but how close is it possible to get without damage? I've only seen enhancements removed with an e-file. I'm real curious because I have buff off gel on my nails (probably much too thick then they are to be) and I'm wondering how to remove it without breaking my arm, lol.

get your 100 grit file and get to work! Just watch how close you get to the NN you do not want to over file your self. Smile
(12-09-2012, 05:10 PM)sachi Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2012, 12:33 PM)Melissa82 Wrote: [ -> ]For those of you who do not use an e-file, how do you remove buff off gel from the nail? Is it possible to hand file it off? I know you aren't supposed to go real close to the nail plate but how close is it possible to get without damage? I've only seen enhancements removed with an e-file. I'm real curious because I have buff off gel on my nails (probably much too thick then they are to be) and I'm wondering how to remove it without breaking my arm, lol.

get your 100 grit file and get to work! Just watch how close you get to the NN you do not want to over file your self. Smile

Yes, you can use your 100 grit file, however, I would "only" use it with caution. It all depends on what you are filing. Are you filing off color on acylic/gel bulk........? On the "natural" nail or on a Gel/Acrylic natural nail enhancement. Once you try it your way on yourself and make mistakes---you did do it on yourself...? Well, you will NOT do it the same way on another if it doesn't work out.
In other words, try it first on yourself and see..........
Seriously, you need to use a technique. Start with a certain grit around the cuticle, depending on the nail enhancement, then use another along the nail length. You need a system when filing. It makes it so much easier! I think a 80 grit for removing bulk, 100 grit to remove color gel, then 180 grit for the rest. You would also need to use a system when filing, like I stated before. A buffer afterwords...
(12-14-2012, 04:30 AM)fingernailtips Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2012, 05:10 PM)sachi Wrote: [ -> ]

If you need additional help, you can always call me! Just respond and I'll send you the number....or go to Pre-Etched.com will work.
Yes, you can use your 100 grit file, however, I would "only" use it with caution. It all depends on what you are filing. Are you filing off color on acylic/gel bulk........? On the "natural" nail or on a Gel/Acrylic natural nail enhancement. Once you try it your way on yourself and make mistakes---you did do it on yourself...? Well, you will NOT do it the same way on another if it doesn't work out.
In other words, try it first on yourself and see..........
Seriously, you need to use a technique. Start with a certain grit around the cuticle, depending on the nail enhancement, then use another along the nail length. You need a system when filing. It makes it so much easier! I think a 80 grit for removing bulk, 100 grit to remove color gel, then 180 grit for the rest. You would also need to use a system when filing, like I stated before. A buffer afterwords...

There's a fantastic tech on You Tube who files off hard gel in some of her videos. She has a pretty good technique. Check her out - her name is Cindy and her YouTube name is Under the Lily Shadow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1DUh_DGAlE

She has other videos and tutorials as well, just search her channel. I have learned so much by watching her.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com
Thanks for the info. Actually Cindy is one of the people online who inspired me to become a nail tech. Smile
Isn't she the best?! I took a long hiatus from doing nails for personal reasons. After seeing one of her videos online, I was so inspired. It was like falling in love with nails all over again. She truly is an amazing nail professional.

Chrissy
http://www.lovethosetoes.com