BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Genbook vs. VAGARO.. wow!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using Genbook for a while and I love it but I just came across VAGARO and WOW!!! I love all the options VAGARO offers!
Especially the SMS reminder! That's genious!
I also like how the system tracks no show and late cancellation appointments and they are available right there clicking on the customer tab.

I have been looking for a salon POS software but they range from $500-1900!! I need something to check clients out, run reports, add cash/debit/credit card charges at the end of the day etc.
Looks like VAGARO offers that too!

My fear is though.. what if the internet connection fails?
The good thing about online version is that I can see what's happening at the salon while I'm away from the salon Wink

Have any of you made a switch from Genbook to Vagaro or vice versa?

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Anna, you know you can send SMS reminders/confirmations through Genbook, right?
Hi Laura! I know that I get a notification that someone booked online but are you sure clients can get notification of appointments booked and reminders by txt?
Have you looked at Vagaro?
I've never used Genbook, but I've used Vagaro for almost two years and it is really great. If your clients are into apps, Vagaro has a free client side app that they can load on their phone and manage their appointments right there. That's one of the newer features that I haven't used because of the demographics of my clients.
No I'm happy with Genbook and it's integrated into my website. I just checked more thoroughly and I guess you can't do SMS reminders to clients - I thought you could. I guess only the operator can select SMS. Sorry Sad
I don't have Internet service at my salon and use Vagaro on my iPad using 3G service - no problems, works great! Clients love all the options and makes my accountant very happy. Managing appointments, tracking inventory, and accepting credit cards keeps my small booth renting business professional.
I started with Genbook and switched to Vagaro a couple months ago. I will say for me, I love Vagaro. Love the professional app on my phone, and I love all of the tracking and such that Vagaro offers. But for my clients this has been a hard switch. I have clients who always booked online with no problems that are calling or texting me for appointments because they can't figure out Vagaro. I have set up a dummy account so that I could see exactly what they have to do when they go to book and I have had no problems, but clients are telling me they hate it! Those are strong words and while I don't mind them calling, texting or emailing me for appointments, it kind of defeats the purpose of me paying for an online booking service when my clients aren't able to figure it out and are very unhappy. For me, while Vagaro does do more, I have to say I will most likely be switching back to Genbook come the first of the year. Oh, and one more thing- occassionally I will check Google just to see where my salon appears and I have discovered that I was listed on the first page several times due to my Genbook reviews. With Vagaro, that is not the case. I had many new clients who found me while doing a google search and came across a good review listed there. They both are good, but have different things to offer. I am going back to Genbook though-gotta keep my clients happy!
(12-03-2012, 01:23 PM)lmppj Wrote: [ -> ]I started with Genbook and switched to Vagaro a couple months ago. I will say for me, I love Vagaro. Love the professional app on my phone, and I love all of the tracking and such that Vagaro offers. But for my clients this has been a hard switch. I have clients who always booked online with no problems that are calling or texting me for appointments because they can't figure out Vagaro. I have set up a dummy account so that I could see exactly what they have to do when they go to book and I have had no problems, but clients are telling me they hate it! Those are strong words and while I don't mind them calling, texting or emailing me for appointments, it kind of defeats the purpose of me paying for an online booking service when my clients aren't able to figure it out and are very unhappy. For me, while Vagaro does do more, I have to say I will most likely be switching back to Genbook come the first of the year. Oh, and one more thing- occassionally I will check Google just to see where my salon appears and I have discovered that I was listed on the first page several times due to my Genbook reviews. With Vagaro, that is not the case. I had many new clients who found me while doing a google search and came across a good review listed there. They both are good, but have different things to offer. I am going back to Genbook though-gotta keep my clients happy!

I admit I don't know much about Vagaro, have only seen it briefly. I found Genbook first so I went with that, otherwise I could very well have gone with Vagaro. But you said something that resonates with me - as of today I have 35 customer reviews on Genbook that are helping my search engine ranking, so even if I wanted to switch I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I know my clients love how easy it is to book their own appointments so it's good to know that yours preferred Genbook. I am hoping your switch back is easy and I hope you don't lose your reviews !!
I think Genbook gives you like a grace period when the account is dissactivated but then you might loose those reviews.
I agree Genbook ranks righ on google search. I switched to vagaro but for now I'm keeping the Genbook "alive" for those reviews. I took the booking online off though. I'm considering it "advertising"
I've been using Genbook for years but was getting frustrated that they are lagging with improving things - like the mobile app. My clients love it and I have around 50 reviews - which do in fact bring in about 80% of new clients, far more than just word of mouth. The google search is golden. I looked into Vagaro seriously for awhile but I couldn't get past the calendar part - clients can't just see the calendar and select a day that has open appointments, with Vagaro they pick a day, and if that doesn't work, you go to the next day, and the next, etc. It would be SUCH a time waster and I could see how a client used to just picking a day where the system knows you have an opening is so much easier than the vagaro setup. I also thought the Genbook site has always looked quite a bit cleaner. Their client login thing still needs work, people need to be instructed how to make passwords for that and it shouldn't be that hard. But once they know how to login, the only info they re-enter is credit card if you require it (which I do).
I do think the SMS reminder would be good, but so far I have very little problem with people remembering their appointment, they save the emails and the add to calendar link directly in the email is very helpful for clients who use computers or phones for calendars.
I love Vagaro! I love that it does the SMS appointment reminders (which I hate doing) My clients havent complained about the online booking. I felt it was the most easier friendly one I tested before I decided. I use my iphone and ipad at work. The stuidio enviroment I am in provides wifi for the stylist and service providers but just in case it fails I have a hotspot on my phone that I can use if need be.
We just switched to Rosy Salon Software from Schedulicity. I am really liking it so far. My new tech was using it at the salon she was at prior to mine....and so introduced me to it. Love all the additional features it has compared to schedulicity.
http://beautytech.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1716

The above thread had a discussion on the same thing.
Anyone try styleseat? Love it!