BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Does less bulbs = less power = less quality curing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to buy a light for practing at home. I hate lugging my CND uv light or my OPI led home every time I want to play at home with my gels. I dont want to spend a fortune but I want quality. Do the 9watt lights cure as well as the 36watt lights?
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm assuming that gels will cure with 9watts of light, period. However, the lamps with 36watts are still only giving out 9watts of light, but because there are 4 bulbs it will cover a bigger area and allow 5 fingers? OR am I wrong?
I woukld like to have a smaller lamp but I don't want to risk curing problems. I would eventually like to replace my big CND lamp at work with something smaller too, it takes up so much room.
And I would also like to know if the same is true for the LED lamps that are smaller with less bulbs.

THANKS for any feedback, Kelly*
Awesome question, great logic.

Since CND says ONLY use their lamp with Shellac, they won't help you out if you use anything else. That being said.......

A 9Watt Phillips brand bulb in a small single light lamp, will cure 4 fingers just fine. Must do thumbs separate.

Also, the Mini Pro Gelish lamp will cure any LED polish in 45 seconds. Must do thumbs separate. OPI sells a consumer LED lamp at Sephora that cures 4 fingers in 30 seconds.

These single lamps are small and light.
The effectiveness of a UV or LED UV lamp to cure a certain gel depends on the photoinitiators in the gel and the amount of UVA generated by the bulbs that reaches the gel. Design factors of the lamp include:
- number of bulbs
- UVA output from the bulbs
- distance of bulb to nails
- amount and quality of reflectors (does not apply to LED UV bulbs as the emit light almost in one direction)

CND uses high UVA output bulbs because their gels have less photoinitiators and they need more UVA light to cure. If you use a non-CND lamp you risk under curing.

As Jim McConnell or Doug Schoon would tell you, only a chemist can really tell if a lamp cures the gel. To anyone else, it may look cured on the top, but lower layers may not be fully cured. Repeated exposure to uncured product can cause contact dermatitis. If you make a cake and put in too much or too little of one ingredient, you wouldn't expect it to taste the same. But at least with cooking it's safe to experiment (usually!) ;.)