BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: NailPro mag ad Magee powder claims nails breath! um What?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sobeit

How are we supposed to educate our clients on nail care, product truth, the anatomy of the nail plate, that the nail doesn't breath, isn't suffocating, is dead like hair, and everything the nail BED needs comes from the blood running through it?
So our clients listen, then one of them happens upon our own trade magazine reading page 128 in this months nail pro. They read the ad for this calcium powder you add to your acrylics or gels, allowing the nail to BREATH.
Now what do we say to the clients? They may have already been confused by a salon that lied about a product or service, one that says " this better for you acrylic or gel so you nails can breath" and we tell them that's not true. Now, nailpro sticks a step by step ad, for a product making the same claims. C'mon how do we sound like we know what we are taking about, when this kind of stuff happens?
Maybe its just me lol.
No, it's not just you, I totally agree.
I have not seen the article as I don't get Nail Pro here in Australia but it sounds like it would be interesting to read.

Maybe some techs need to contact Nail pro and let them know this article is not helpful.
How about the fact that we are also trying to teach our clients that nails are made out of keratin and not calcium. By them saying calcium they are emplying that nails need more calcium which they do not. :oops:

sobeit

Exactly. I just don't get it. I understand marketing, but I don't understand NailPro magazine including misleading informational sales pitches in the Featured How To section of the magazine. Goodness we still have a long road ahead of us.
yep and it seems to get longer and harder the more you look. It gets depressing. Sad
Paid Advertising space. Simple as that. That is the excuse the mag will use and that is the explanation we should use.
Yup, and a few pages after that in the "products pages" someone has one of those Robart Hobby paint shakers photographed with a sticker on it that calls it a "shellacshaker". I kinda think the CND people might have a copyright issue with this. CND owns the name Shellac as it pertains to their product.

sobeit

Very true about paid ad space. But in a professional trade magazine I think they should be Leary of selling scamalicious products. It looks bad for those of us who try to get the word out. And if the client sees and hears this incorrect information, what makes us think they will believe us over the other tech who is now supported by the ad? They might think we are the liars trying to keep them from another shop.
Unbelievable! Saying that nails breathe has always been a major pet peeve with me, it kills me when I hear or read that people are saying this, I remember reading (years ago) in some magazine like cosmopolitan or vogue or something that a nail tech to the celebrities always takes their enhancements off to let their nails breathe, I thought she was trying to sound like a guru since she worked on celebrities, now, our own magazine is advertising this, maybe we should all write in to nailsmag about this!
I had another response by another nailtech when I said that nails don't breath, she said ''ok the nail is 'dead' but what about the skin under the nail doesn't it breath''? what would you answer?
Kristina :
> I had another response by another nailtech when I said that nails don't breath,
> she said ''ok the nail is 'dead' but what about the skin under the nail doesn't
> it breath''? what would you answer?

I would answer that there is no skin under the nail, it is flesh with blood vessels running through it which is what gives our nails the pink tone.
Blood carries oxygen, so that is how the underside of our nails gets it's airSmile

With that techs line of thinking, she may as well shave her hair off too so her scalp can breath.
when clients tell me they need to let their nails breathe, I tell them their nails don't have lungs so they can't breathe anyway. I've had some rebutt me and say, "Well, ok, they need to rest......I reply, they don't have muscles, they don't need to rest, either."

That's like saying you need to strip the hair color off your hair ever so often so it can breathe... :roll:

sobeit

Quote:Kristina :
> I had another response by another nailtech when I said that nails don't breath,
> she said ''ok the nail is 'dead' but what about the skin under the nail doesn't
> it breath''? what would you answer?
Great question and Wooshka gave an awesome reply.
Me? I would tell them that our body has a set of lungs and blood vessels that carry oxygen from our lungs to our brian and organs, the skin is the largest organ, and that includes the nail bed. Everything that needs oxygen doesn't have a set of its own breathing apparatus, it's all internal nourishment. I hope that makes sense.
Thanx!Great answers I soo agree with everybody!
wooshka :
> Kristina :
>>
>
> With that techs line of thinking, she may as well shave her hair off too so
> her scalp can breath.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nailpro has a Facebook page, I may write something on itSmile
i had a gal ask me about letting her nails breath the other day...i simply said "honey, if your nails breathed, it would kill them everytime you file, clip or polish them...do you hear them screaming out in agony?" she started laughing. it seems to work every time.
In most minds, certainly I did, breathe equals heal. Scientifically or medically or whatever, to the customer its semantics. Intellectually, I know the nails do not have lungs.
sobeit :
>
Quote:Kristina :
>> I had another response by another nailtech when I said that nails don't breath,
>> she said ''ok the nail is 'dead' but what about the skin under the nail doesn't
>> it breath''? what would you answer?
> Great question and Wooshka gave an awesome reply.
> Me? I would tell them that our body has a set of lungs and blood vessels that
> carry oxygen from our lungs to our brian and organs, the skin is the largest
> organ, and that includes the nail bed. Everything that needs oxygen doesn't
> have a set of its own breathing apparatus, it's all internal nourishment. I
> hope that makes sense.

Sobeit, your answer is what I was trying to say, you just said it in a much better way than me Big Grin