BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Gels vs acrylics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been doing nails for 4 years, pedicures manicures & gel polish.. Im ready to start doing artificial nails I have a few clients intrested. What is everybodys opinion on what to start working with first? Which is easier? Gel or Acrylic?? & what brand do you recommend that is easy to work with???

Also I love taking classes but here in buffalo I feel like they are never offering nail classes.... it stinks! I'm very intrested in learning more though!!!
?? =/
(11-14-2012, 01:49 AM)JennaLynnG Wrote: [ -> ]I've been doing nails for 4 years, pedicures manicures & gel polish.. Im ready to start doing artificial nails I have a few clients intrested. What is everybodys opinion on what to start working with first? Which is easier? Gel or Acrylic?? & what brand do you recommend that is easy to work with???

Also I love taking classes but here in buffalo I feel like they are never offering nail classes.... it stinks! I'm very intrested in learning more though!!!

Hi, Gel is easier to work with than Acrylic. But Acrylic is more fun to do, just because it demands more technical experience Rolleyes
Remember, the choice between acrylic or gel should be made upon the strenght and quality of the clients nail. So as an nail-tech, we should be able to work with both systems.
For both, i work with CND.

Greetings from Belgium,
Conny
I only use gel because I hate the smell of monomer.
I was so convinced I just wanted to do gel's but then I saw how many people around me wanted acrylics done and no idea what gel was. I can also see in some circumstances would be more appropriate than gel, so I'm going to learn both.
I offer both, but I still prefer doing acrylics. I'm better at acrylics so maybe that's why.
I do both, and use Young Nails. I do think it's a good idea to know both, as others have mentioned, because then you can do the most appropriate service for each client.

Personally, I learned acrylic first (although I learned basic gel in the beginning too) and when I felt confident enough in acrylic I worked on gel, then when I was confident I added Gel to my menu. That was maybe 6 months after starting. One advantage of learning one at a time is that you will have more clients getting that particular service, which gives you more practice and allows you to troubleshoot.
This is such a personal question and you're going to get so many different replies. My own advice is this: if your location dictates that you use something without a strong odour, then you want to learn gel first. Notice I said first - you will open many doors for yourself by learning both systems.

If this is not an issue, you should take a look at your local area and see if there is more demand for one or the other. There are some fantastic nail techs in your area. Hopefully they will see this post and chime in.
I agree with learning both. I learned to do nails using acrylics but in the area I'm at now, I needed something to set me apart from the Asian salons. It can be just as difficult to master as acrylic so imo, there's no, "which one is easier to learn". They BOTH have their learning curves.

The benefits of gel is that there's no smell and less likely to cause an allergic reaction. There's no worries about getting the ratio right since it's already mixed.

I went from 100% acrylic to 98% gel and my clients would NOT go back to acrylic.
Im learning to do gels after 11 years of acrylics and its hard teaching an old dog new tricks. Ive tried a couple different brands of gel, and like acrylics they are all so different. I think knowing both is a bonus. Trying to educate your clients that you do actual gel nails instead of the asians gel nails( powder and liquid) blows their mind every time.
I use gel because I never have to worry about the temp in the room.Sometimes acrylic doesn't perform well because of temps.
I have no lifting with gel. and i can file it faster. Gel magnifies everything underneath and make your nails pop!
One day I said to myself, What is it that women really want? My answer was,(there own nails.) So
I decided to start a nail program to show my customers how to wear an overlay to protect their nails from splitting,peeling,and cracking in the stress area.
Now that's basically all I do. My clients love telling their friends that they have their own nails. Nobody believes them though!
Like Laura said, you could get so many differing opinions on this subject, everyone has their reasons for using one over the other, or both. It's a good idea to be skilled at both, but I say it is more important to be The Best at whatever You do best, than it is to offer everything.
I did acrylics for Years, but once I was properly trained to do gels, I switched everyone over and have not looked back. For me, the biggest difference is touch, I tend to have a very light touch, which works Great as a gel tech and for acrylic, I think it works a little better for those who have a heavier hand. I still like to stay familiar with acrylics and will play now & then, but I don't offer it on my menu.
Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. Smile
How do you do your over lay is it real thin so if you do a shellac it will come off and you have to re apply? I would love to offer something like this !!
(12-02-2012, 08:20 PM)JUST NAIL IT Wrote: [ -> ]I use gel because I never have to worry about the temp in the room.Sometimes acrylic doesn't perform well because of temps.
I have no lifting with gel. and i can file it faster. Gel magnifies everything underneath and make your nails pop!
One day I said to myself, What is it that women really want? My answer was,(there own nails.) So
I decided to start a nail program to show my customers how to wear an overlay to protect their nails from splitting,peeling,and cracking in the stress area.
Now that's basically all I do. My clients love telling their friends that they have their own nails. Nobody believes them though!

Hi all, I am doing nails for a few years now and own a nails salon. I do both acrylic and gel, in my experience I can finish a set of regular acrylic in 30min, pink & white in 50-60 min, but gel slow me down a lot , I would say a set of gel with regular polish can take me 50-60 min, a set of pink & white gel can take me 1 1/2 hour to 1hour 45 min. With gel I have less lifting then acrylic. Actually if I can find a gel line with no heat spike and less time cure then IBD gel line i can finish the job faster. Hope that help to you Jenna. Oh, sorry if my English is too bad.
I do both as well. I am strongwe with arylic. And as everyone has said it comes down to strength. acrylic is going to set stronger. So a very active person my need acrylic. A good gel that does not cause any hit spikes is young nails
(12-02-2012, 08:20 PM)JUST NAIL IT Wrote: [ -> ]I use gel because I never have to worry about the temp in the room.Sometimes acrylic doesn't perform well because of temps.

I like that, I do services in my home and I don't like the smell flowing through my home. Where I live folks are brain washed into thinking that they have gel nail and all they have is acrylic with a gel top coat Rolleyes and when I try and tell them the truth they look at me like I am crazy lol. I love gels but the systems can be pricey, may I ask what gel system do you use?
Light Elegance has a very good sales article on the advantages of their gel over acrylic.
http://www.lightelegance.com/pdf/salesbrochure.pdf
I agree with everyone that says its good to know both. But I also think specializing in one is very good. I have acrylic in my drawer but rarely ever get it out, people find me online and its all for the gel I do. Also, anyone I've had convert from acrylic to gel never go back to acrylic. Some of my NFL wives leave town for the off-season and take their nails off and leave them bare because there isn't a good gel tech where they are. So while its good to learn, both, I'm in the camp that says to learn gels good and it will get you far! I Love love Akzentz.
Tammy Warner and Joseph Pham live in Buffalo; both would be excellent resources.