BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Question about YN... Allergies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi YN users,
I want to try YN, I was using Entity, but had issues with some clients being allergic. I have temporaily gone back to CND Moxie, but still not happy. My question is, if I have clients that seem to be alergic to anything other that CND, how will they do with YN? I really want to get to One system, I am tired of having to keep 2 or 3 lines around.

Thanks,
Cherie

Anonymous

I don't think I have been in the that situation where my client was allergic to anything but CND. If it helps any at all all of my clients were on CND and were all switched to YN with no problems; none of them were allegic to anything else to my knowledge....wish I could help out more.
What makes you think they were allergic? Can you explain the symptons?

Usually, if someone becomes allergic or sensitive to acrylic, it is ALL acrylic. So, there is a common ingredient in all of them that they are exposed to.....

I am curious what the reaction was that they got! Smile

Smile
Hi Darl,
The client that had the worst reaction had itching, and her skin literally peeled away from her cuticles. The first time it happened, I switched primers, from the acid based to the other primer,( I can't remember off hand but it's the one in the bigger bottle.) She had the same problem, so 2 fills ago I went back to Moxie, and she's had no problems. The other just had itching, so I switched her right away. I am very careful not to get product on the skin, but both of these clients were former NSS clients, and I think that may have something to do with it. I was just about out of Entity, so I got some Moxie, and am going to use up what I can of all the powders I have from CND for now.

Cherie
Wow! Confusedhock: That sounds aweful!!!!

If I were you, I would email this information to Jeteca at Entity......see if they have an explanation......it just seems wierd that it is only with this product........my curiosity is highly peeked! Smile

Good luck with all that!

Smile
My mom had this same exact reaction. But she was going to NSS. She switched places and still had skin peel like 3rd degree burn., Doctor told her once she had this reaction she always would. THis makes me wonder if maybe she could tolerate CND though. She lives and hour from me so I dont do her nails but she HATES that she isnt able to wear nail anymore! Maybe she could tolerate Gels. what do u think
i had a few clients that did the same thing. i use Entity products now and i don't get that problem. If a client has been overexposed to a primer or liquid they can develop a reaction to it. i use the Non-acid primer on all my clients. also try not to swipe the your bush around the cuticle. as far as a gel goes, i wouldn't use it on them. unless it's brista. clients that have reaction are going to be more out to develop a reaction to gels than acrylics.
good luck, and give the ladies at Entity a call. they are full of information.

Jennifer m
Entity Advantage Member

Anonymous

Jenn is right, ppl will develope issues faster with gels. I liked to never got my nails back to normal.
plus some ac products do have other things put in them. some are what I call hard, un-refined ac powder. There is a diff in the quailty of powders. yrs ago there was very popular ac line out there, for the life of me I can't recall the name & I should because it was the only ac product to cause me to suffer greatly with contac dermatiess (sp). plus about 75% of my clients too. Drs had a field day with this stuff. the packaging was very much like Yn is now, blue. anyway it was taken off the market . I gladly went back to using TT.
I have had want to be clients former chop shop goers, that their nail bed where not even there want nails ,, ghezz.

Barb
I developed an allergy to EzFlow's Q-monomer and was really scared because I thought (like a lot of people do) that once your allergic to one type of monomer you would be to any other monomer. NOT SO!

I then switched back to CND and used all of their monomers - no problems. Now I use YN exclusively and have absolutely no problems. YN's protein bond is very gentle and has no acid. Non of my clients have had any problems with the product. Give it a try - You'll love it!
I would like to know the rationalization that gels can give a client more issues than acrylic? As a general rule of thumb....repeated exposure to anything can cause allergies in anyone. This goes for food.

But to say that a gel causes more allergies? Acrylic is actually still releasing vapors and curing on the nail for weeks after it is applied. A true UV Gel once cured is complete and no longer active. There are no chemicals on the nail continuing to cure.

The chemical make up of a gel is far less hazardous than acrylic. So if someone is having allergies to a gel, it is quite possible that it coule be from improper removal of the tacky layer after curing.

Repeated wiping of this layer up onto the cuticle & skin area can cause irritation.

Now primer & monomer.....thats a different story.

Anonymous

there are 3 main ingrediants in gels that are very high up on the sensitivity scale. gel is high up on the ladder.
acrylate
gluleraldehyde
formaldehyde

hypoallergenic gel systems (methacrylate) has the same low strength sensitizers as liq & powders.
Brisa has none of these products , LCN is also is not acrylic, Akzentz is low on the scale as well. very few ppl have issues with it.
hypoallergenic just means it is less likely to cause allergys, but that it won't for sure.
there are more allergys to gels, than ac.... it also has a lot to do with the vapors, & the dust too. poor ventalation, touching uncured gel , overexposure. etc. plenty of ppl can explain it better then me.
plus gels are non-porous. but all I know is gel made a huge mess on my nails more so than ac ever did. I have worn nails for over 20 yrs lol

Barb
Gels are porous? Isn't the other way around? I've always been told that gels are NOT porous and that's why they can't be soaked off.
Hmmmmm not one of my gels I use has: gluleraldehyde
formaldehyde in it. I know that in the begining gels did have a bad rap. They weren't of good quality and not a good product overall. Since then, the market isnt really comparable to the old gels that may have or still contain those items in them.

From my personal experience and from those around me, I have had more issues with clients & acrylic and NO issues with my clients and gels, other than that some clients can wear the acrylic better than the gel. But I have only been using one line and have stayed with them.

If your nails were that damaged after wearing gels....I'd be embarassed to mention the product name you used. Yikes
bengalkat :
> Gels are porous? Isn't the other way around? I've always been told that gels
> are NOT porous and that's why they can't be soaked off.

Michelle you are spot on-

UV Gel IS non-porous, and that is also the main reason they cannot be soaked off.

The porosity of liquid and powder is also the reason its important to buff oil into the nail when finishing, it closes off oxygen in the enhancement to help it cure, not to mention plasticizing the nail and making it flexible. Smile
Thanks Heather! Ok, now people might think I'm stupid. LOL Barb's original post said that they were porous but she edited it to say non-porous.

Anonymous

bengalkat :
> Thanks Heather! Ok, now people might think I'm stupid. LOL Barb's original
> post said that they were porous but she edited it to say non-porous.

I am sure no one thinks of you as stupid :wink: and yes I edited it because of the typo I made.
LOL I figured it was a typo Wink I saw that it was corrected, but thought maybe I had just MISSED something, so I thought I would just affirm your post lol.

Big Grin

I'm glad monday is OVA. Smile
well i am glad that this board can have write what everyone had experienced as a nail tech. so many boards out there actually get heated when a comment is made and someone doesn't agree with it.

the next time i get a gel client ( or someone with gel top coat) i should post my photos of my face on here. one of my clients said i looked like a blow fish or been in a boxing match. LOL Big Grin

thanks for the discussion.....
Jennifer m
Jennifer, things DO get heated on here. It's nice when they don't. Wink
OK I posed your questions. concerns to Doug Schoon and got my response.. I'll be making this a sticky...

Hi Debbie,
People don't become allergic to a "product", they become allergic to an "ingredient". In a liquid/powder or UV gel systems there may be one or two ingredients which make a person's skin become "sensitive" or "sensitized". Once this happens, we say the person has developed a skin allergy.

If those ingredients are found in another product, the person will display sensitivities to that product, as well.
Also, they may have allergic reactions to ingredients that are very similar to the one that caused the original sensitivity. This is called "cross-reactivity". For example, a person may become sensitive to methyl methacrylate and then react when ethyl methacrylate is used. Methyl methacrylate is a stronger allergen, but ethyl methacrylate can also trigger the response in a person previously sensitized, since the two ingredients are close relatives. However, a person is more likely to develop the initial allergic reaction to products containing methyl methacrylate.
UV gels use generally rely on ingredients called "acrylates". They are even more likely the cause allergic reactions than methacrylates. (Which is why I will not formulate products with them). They can also "cross react". So a person allergic to a liquid and powder product is likely to develop the same sensitivities to UV gels.

But the real point is acrylates are most likely to cause the initial allergic skin reaction than methacrylates. So if a person is allergic to a methacrylate, it would not be very wise to expose them to an acrylate. This person has already demonstrated that their skin is "sensitive" to these types of skin reactions. Those with previously diagnosed skin allergies to nail products should avoid products which contain acrylates.

To put a UV gel on a person who has already demonstrated skin sensitivity to a liquid and powder, is begging for more trouble. Of course, if skin contact is avoided with either type... no allergic reactions will develop. Since cyanoacrylate (wrap resins) are the least likely of the three to cause sensitivities, it would be a better choice.

All of this is in covered in great detail in my book. So, people don't have to rely on what they think I said somewhere, sometime, someplace... they can read about it in the book and have a deeper understanding of this issue. Please encourage them to do so. This is one of the most important issues in our industry, second only to cleaning and disinfection. It's important for all nail professionals to understand these important issues.
Thanks for asking.

Doug

===================

Doug's book can be found at:
http://www.beautytech.com/milady
There is a product in some liquids that is referred to as HEMA (hydroxyethyl Methacrylate, or something similar)...this product is usually in products with advanced adhesion (primerless, etc)...the molecules (or whatever) adhere on the nail bed really well, but they also would adhere on the skin if it comes in to contact with it. So, if that liquid gets on your skin, you can't just wash it off...technically it is still "adhered" on your skin. Because of this inability to rinse off the liquid, it stays on the skin longer which naturally increases irritations and reactions. So only advanced users and aware users should be working with this liquid.

It is true that gels cause way more allergic reactions...it has nothing to do with the fact that gels aren't so "harsh" in their chemical make up....you can be allergic to flowers, or anything completely natural.

Anyone getting allergic reactions from liquid should ask their company for a NON hema liquid. Have a bottle of "regular" (non HEMA) liquid around...for your customers with problems.