BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: reapplying at a former employer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's the story. I have been doing nails for 8+ years and have been with the same nail salon for just over half of that time. Right before I found my current job I worked at a local day spa chain for five months, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I am currently going to massage school and thinking about going back to the same day spa chain to do massage when I finish.

I had a lot of reasons for leaving that job, most of which have either changed in the last four years, or are irrelevant now. The location I worked at was over an hour commute, but the location I am wanting to work at this time is much closer. The other manicurists constantly fought with each other and the manager was straight up unprofessional, but none of them still work for the company anyway. The pay was low compared to average, but they now have a better more comparable pay scale. And the insurance didn't cover very much, but I am now on my husband's insurance. There were a lot of things I really liked about the company and the job too.

So I am sure when I interview they will want to know why I quit in the past, and I'm not sure what the best thing is to say. I left on good terms, and they had really tried to convince me to stay, but I don't want to say the wrong thing and blow my chance at getting rehired.
Just say that the commute was an issue
Just throwing this out there - were there substantial differences in the type of salon that you've worked at since? If there was a difference in the type of services, atmosphere (subdued vs. upbeat), range of services, etc? You could focus on those being the reason to look for change, but now that you are doing massage, their atmosphere is more suitable? That plus the commute could work. Plus, it's not a lie to say it was about the atmosphere, just not pointing out it was what the people did to it. Smile
I wouldn't say there was a huge difference in atmosphere, just the salon I work at now is nails only. They don't offer massage.
Ditto the comment about the commute.