BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Hard gel / gel polish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading an article in Nails Magazine where a tech applies hard gel as her base layer for gel polish. She says it cant be done with all hard gel and gek polish ,but have any of you tried this ?
No. You can use gel polish over hard gels but applying a hard gel as a base makes no sense. How do to remove the hard gel?
Several techs I know do apply a hard gel first as a base. Some clients have trouble with the gel polish staying on for several reasons (peeling, weak nails, etc). The hard gel is applied thinly and then you just apply your gp color over it, same as you would normally. Soaking it off will remove the gel color, but not the hard gel. Some techs use a safety bit instead of soaking to remove the color as you have a "buffer" over the natural nail. At their next visit, you remove the gel polish, fill the hard gel as needed, then reapply the gel polish.
Applying a hard gel first makes perfect sense to me : )
For weak/thin nails, you can also try adding two layers of Base gel before the colour layers and top gel. This works very nicely for some customers ;-)
I pretty much do it like that all the time for clients who want long nails. The client should be told the difference tho, just in case they DON'T want something on that has to be filed off. I've got some that don't want hard gel and are perfectly happy with all sog and their nails are short.
Will just one layer of hard gel stay on ok ? Havent tried this ,just very curious...sounds like a great idea....
It should but one layer isn't going to do much good. To give strength you'll need at least two, imo. One wouldn't be enough for protection against filing the color off, either.
(08-26-2012, 12:29 PM)lexibunny Wrote: [ -> ]I was reading an article in Nails Magazine where a tech applies hard gel as her base layer for gel polish. She says it cant be done with all hard gel and gek polish ,but have any of you tried this ?
http://beautytech.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3356canadian pharmacy

Use a hard gel first, this is what I'm doing
I've learned that I need to remove the tacky layer from the hard gel before applying the s/o or else it would not soak too well for me.
I do this too. But just don't put a hard top coat on top of a gel polish,will crack the polish.
(08-29-2012, 11:12 AM)lz43my Wrote: [ -> ]I do this too. But just don't put a hard top coat on top of a gel polish,will crack the polish.

I want to add to this, because I use hard gel to make the nail strong then use sog for color. I will use a tackless sealer over it with no problems as long as the nail is strong enough not to flex under the sog. I NEVER have any cracking but I use a base gel, and two coats of hard gel first. If you don't build the nail, when it flexes, it will crack, quaranteed! (if you use hard gel over the top)
(08-27-2012, 02:39 AM)Sherrie90630 Wrote: [ -> ]Several techs I know do apply a hard gel first as a base. Some clients have trouble with the gel polish staying on for several reasons (peeling, weak nails, etc). The hard gel is applied thinly and then you just apply your gp color over it, same as you would normally. Soaking it off will remove the gel color, but not the hard gel. Some techs use a safety bit instead of soaking to remove the color as you have a "buffer" over the natural nail. At their next visit, you remove the gel polish, fill the hard gel as needed, then reapply the gel polish.

Do you know of a brand of hard gel that can be filed and filled before you put on the SOG?
(08-27-2012, 09:00 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: [ -> ]Applying a hard gel first makes perfect sense to me : )

Me too! I do not soak - ever, so having a hard gel as a base provides protection to the natural nail when I file off thje color.
(03-28-2013, 11:54 AM)gelpro Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2012, 09:00 AM)PrecisionNails Wrote: [ -> ]Applying a hard gel first makes perfect sense to me : )

Me too! I do not soak - ever, so having a hard gel as a base provides protection to the natural nail when I file off thje color.

I don't use any SOGP, either hard gel alone, hard gel + hard gel polish, or hard gel + traditional polish.
This is interesting but can someone clarify steps please? And possibly the products they're mixing.....
Thanks!
(03-28-2013, 12:36 PM)[email protected] Wrote: [ -> ]This is interesting but can someone clarify steps please? And possibly the products they're mixing.....
Thanks!

NO mixing, just layering : )
Ok then layering (sorry)
Does it matter brands....?
I just need more info (I'm a newbee still)
Thanks!!!
Sherrie: I do what you said and I use Nailites Xtra Hard.
All but one of my clients get hard gel first. One or two coats depending on the thickness and length of their nails. As a base, I use Nailites Stylus, clear or pink. If they only get gel polish on the tips, then I often use nailites holographic. Most all of my customers want the shimmer. I never soak off. None mind. I almost always use nailites tackless hard sealer. If they have pretty thin flexible nails, I will use the gentle top coat. I have also done this using shellac, eco and gellish. I have also used TEN as my base gel. No problems. Like some said, just layering.
I understand what you are talking about but is there a difference in pricing? Combing the hard gel with shellac polish?
Prep nails

Thin layer hard gel (any brand)
Cure
Wipe tacky layer & buff shine
gel polish OR SOG cure x 2
Seal with A Hard gel top coat OR gel polish/SOG top/sealer???
Can anyone verify if this is correct ?

When they return in 2 weeks---
File off top coat
Soak off GEL polish or file off gel polish?
Then repeat steps again?

Am I understanding correct?

And yes-- what's pricing for this service VS gel polish svc pricing?
Thanks!!!!!

I too am interested in this.

Would it be possible for me to:
prep nail
apply Young Nail bonder
1 layer YN HG Foundation Base Gel (leave inhibition layer)
1 layer YN HG Flex Gel (leave inhibition layer)
1 layer SOG base coat (leave inhibition layer)
2 layers SOG Color (leave inhibition layer)
1 layer SOG Top Coat (remove inhibition layer)

What changes would I have to make if this recipe would not work. I need a stronger base under the SOG and the SOG builder gels are not working for my one client.

Any advice or personal experiences please share - I thank you Smile
Yes I also do this, I use Star Gel with any GP, only for Hard Gel customers,
Primer
2 coats clear star t3 fiber
2 coats of color GP
Star Clear coat one coat for top coat

I charge hard gel prices, 30. refill, or full set 45.

If I do shellac base, two coats of GP, and shellac top coat. they get charged 24.00 for Gel polish Manicure, and I can remove it if they want a new color, if they want same color I buff it down with a file re-polish with base, 2 GP, top. 24.00 charge.

If I need to use the hard gel at all they get charged the higher price., but 2 base coats works better. I find it takes longer for the color hard gel, I am not charging extra right now but I am thinking about it.
(03-28-2013, 09:59 AM)lalaanne Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2012, 02:39 AM)Sherrie90630 Wrote: [ -> ]Several techs I know do apply a hard gel first as a base. Some clients have trouble with the gel polish staying on for several reasons (peeling, weak nails, etc). The hard gel is applied thinly and then you just apply your gp color over it, same as you would normally. Soaking it off will remove the gel color, but not the hard gel. Some techs use a safety bit instead of soaking to remove the color as you have a "buffer" over the natural nail. At their next visit, you remove the gel polish, fill the hard gel as needed, then reapply the gel polish.

Do you know of a brand of hard gel that can be filed and filled before you put on the SOG?

I use YN and have no problems with using sog over it.
Pages: 1 2